Why I Don't Listen to the Radio Much...

Payola is old news.

You don't think a concert promoter who gives a radio station 100 tickets to see Depeche Mode or Kid Rock is payola? There are all kinds of payola.

Thank goodness for the Internet and Sat Radio.

GotZoom said:
Payola is old news.

You don't think a concert promoter who gives a radio station 100 tickets to see Depeche Mode or Kid Rock is payola? There are all kinds of payola.

Thank goodness for the Internet and Sat Radio.

It's old news that people need to be reminded of. :) And yes, thank goodness for the internet.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE corporate radio.
Canned music...(sigh). When will music ever be TRULY independant again?
All of music? Never. There's plenty of independant music to find, though, regardless of the state of pop music currently.

I would be happy if the non-independant music would at least try to include more talent, instead of more T&A.

I don't think that's too much to ask... but apparently it is.

I don't think that's too much to ask... but apparently it is.

The mainstream market, specifically the buyers, just have no taste. Play someone an Atmosphere video, then play them a Jessica Simpson video and see which one gets a better reaction. It's all about the image, baby.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
It's not just T&A, it's a lack of creativity. Song writters and producers get
paid WAY more than performers now, unless on record label that actually
cares about the artist. Most of the time they push an image and TONS of
singles that flood the airwaves until people are absolutely sick of it. I've tried
many times to influence my local stations to broaden their playlist out to
b sides and non-mainstream music.(for lack of a better word) No luck!

People everywhere have become numb to anything but canned music, and
it makes me sick! We have a request hour here and I try all the time to get
a song played but I always get the same response "It's not in our computer"
Had a buddy who worked for the station and he told me that the programers
only allow music that hit the top 40 to be played, and it's limited also.
Pink has a new song out called "Stupid Girls" and it does an excellent job of summarizing the industry, albeit unintentionally. The song is all about how dumb the pop girls are, how slutty and simple minded they are, and how Pink is different. Yet, if you listen to the song without trying to comprehend the lyrics, what does it sound like? The brilliance in bitching about formularity while being formulaic. :laugh:

Also, a lot of the same corps that own the big record companies own Clear Channel and other radio companies. So, obviously, they'll be pushing their moneymakers as hard as they can, and screw the real artists.

One cool thing that a local independent newspaper is doing is to offer a free podcast, basically a 1-2 hour radio show in MP3 format, once a week. The artists get great, free exposure, and you get to hear new and actually interesting music.

Not that any of you guys are probably interested, but the podcast is located here.

Dan said:
Also, a lot of the same corps that own the big record companies own Clear Channel and other radio companies. So, obviously, they'll be pushing their moneymakers as hard as they can, and screw the real artists.

One cool thing that a local independent newspaper is doing is to offer a free podcast, basically a 1-2 hour radio show in MP3 format, once a week. The artists get great, free exposure, and you get to hear new and actually interesting music.

Not that any of you guys are probably interested, but the podcast is located here.
I'll have to check it out when I'm bored @ work.

Forum List

Back