Why I don't believe in God

Go ahead and believe in your gods. What the hell do I care? I'll just go on thinking you are silly and brainwashed.

You obviously care quite a bit, judging by the inordinate amount of time you're spending here on two God threads, arguing as fast as your fingers can type for countless hours, days on end.

It's funny how your reasoning always boils down to people being silly and brainwashed. You can't support your arguments, you can't offer any credible evidence to support your claims, and you just continue to repeat the same shit over and over as you bash and trash those who disagree. You've stopped even trying to pretend to be objective.

I type for a living. I am a fast typist. You are silly. To me anyways. See ya!

http://www.brainfacts.org/About-Neu...uman-brain-differ-from-that-of-other-primates

Humans possess cognitive abilities very different from other creatures, thanks to a number of unusual features of our brains.

For starters, our brains weigh an average of three pounds, which is enormous for an animal of our body size. By comparison, chimpanzees, our closest living relatives, have brains that are one-third the size of our own, although they are very similar to us in body size. Most of this brain-size difference reflects the evolutionary expansion of the association cortex, a group of regions that supports such sophisticated cognitive functions as language, self-awareness, and problem solving.

The size of the human association cortex is only part of what makes this region unusual in humans. In addition to having more neurons in the association cortex, brain imaging studies comparing the brains of humans to other primates show humans have a greater number of fibers connecting the brain regions involved in such human-specialized functions as language, tool making, reasoning, and social cognition. Understanding the evolution of these connections in the human brain is a major focus of my laboratory.

And yet... with our superior brains... we remain spiritual creatures who believe in something greater than self. Amazing, isn't it?

Well no it's not and you haven't proven that with any evidence.

If, as you claim, we are "distressed about death" and we have superior intellect.... things with less superior intellect should be even more distressed because they would understand it even less. But we don't see apes and chimps having nervous breakdowns because they know they will die one day. Your hypothesis is without support.

It's also not "wishful thinking" or it wouldn't exist in a creature of our superior intellect. What fundamental purpose does a wishful thought serve? If there were no intrinsic value we would have discarded the behavior as useless. Any living organism we have ever studied has behavioral attributes for a reason. Trivial and meaningless behavior doesn't exist as a fundamental attribute of anything. So now, this hypothesis of yours, which you've failed to support with logic or science, actually contradicts what we observe in nature.

My gosh, please tell me you aren't really this dumb and brainwashed. I have to leave this thread before I start being mean. Lol.

You're too late, you've already been mean and insulting to me. I've not been like that to you. I've addressed your points with logic, science ans reasoning. I've demonstrated how your hypothesis fails and it pissed you off so you became hostile and insulting. It's too late to take that back now.

If, as you claim, we are "distressed about death" and we have superior intellect.... things with less superior intellect should be even more distressed because they would understand it even less. But we don't see apes and chimps having nervous breakdowns because they know they will die one day. Your hypothesis is without support.

It's also not "wishful thinking" or it wouldn't exist in a creature of our superior intellect. What fundamental purpose does a wishful thought serve? If there were no intrinsic value we would have discarded the behavior as useless. Any living organism we have ever studied has behavioral attributes for a reason. Trivial and meaningless behavior doesn't exist as a fundamental attribute of anything. So now, this hypothesis of yours, which you've failed to support with logic or science, actually contradicts what we observe in nature.

My gosh, please tell me you aren't really this dumb and brainwashed. I have to leave this thread before I start being mean. Lol.

You're too late, you've already been mean and insulting to me. I've not been like that to you. I've addressed your points with logic, science ans reasoning. I've demonstrated how your hypothesis fails and it pissed you off so you became hostile and insulting. It's too late to take that back now.
Where does logic and science support notions of magical spirit realms?

http://www.brainfacts.org/About-Neu...uman-brain-differ-from-that-of-other-primates

Humans possess cognitive abilities very different from other creatures, thanks to a number of unusual features of our brains.

For starters, our brains weigh an average of three pounds, which is enormous for an animal of our body size. By comparison, chimpanzees, our closest living relatives, have brains that are one-third the size of our own, although they are very similar to us in body size. Most of this brain-size difference reflects the evolutionary expansion of the association cortex, a group of regions that supports such sophisticated cognitive functions as language, self-awareness, and problem solving.

The size of the human association cortex is only part of what makes this region unusual in humans. In addition to having more neurons in the association cortex, brain imaging studies comparing the brains of humans to other primates show humans have a greater number of fibers connecting the brain regions involved in such human-specialized functions as language, tool making, reasoning, and social cognition. Understanding the evolution of these connections in the human brain is a major focus of my laboratory.

And yet... with our superior brains... we remain spiritual creatures who believe in something greater than self. Amazing, isn't it?
We are humble and afraid of death and even curious slightly intelligent but not always logical.

It's just wild speculation you have to admit that. Our ancient ancestors came up with the idea there must be a God. 7000 years ago we started claiming to have met it. But the reality is we're right back where we were 7001 years ago.

1% separates us and the monkeys we came from. I wonder if a species on another planet that is 1% smarter than us still believes. I'm sure they debate a generic God but I wonder if most of them believe or don't. And I wonder if organized religions ruled them when they were less evolved

As we get smarter we get less religious/superstitious, not more.

Best line I ever heard on Gilligan island. The professor said, "the less modern the tribe the more superstitious.

We are humble and afraid of death and even curious slightly intelligent but not always logical.

It's just wild speculation you have to admit that. Our ancient ancestors came up with the idea there must be a God. 7000 years ago we started claiming to have met it. But the reality is we're right back where we were 7001 years ago.

1% separates us and the monkeys we came from. I wonder if a species on another planet that is 1% smarter than us still believes. I'm sure they debate a generic God but I wonder if most of them believe or don't. And I wonder if organized religions ruled them when they were less evolved

It's not wild speculation and we didn't come up with the idea. You've never been able to support that claim and it's because it can't be supported. If we came up with some wild speculative idea that had no merit it would have died out like any other wild speculative idea we've come up with. But 90% of the species remains spiritual. Different religions rise and fall but human spirituality remains consistent throughout history.

1% separates us from the monkeys but they don't grapple with their own mortality because they have no concept of immortality... we do.

As we get smarter we get less religious/superstitious, not more.

Best line I ever heard on Gilligan island. The professor said, "the less modern the tribe the more superstitious.

Nice to know you get your philosophy from the professor on Gilligan's Island.

Where does logic and science support notions of magical spirit realms?

What the hell are "spirit realms"? :dunno:

It's not wild speculation and we didn't come up with the idea. You've never been able to support that claim and it's because it can't be supported. If we came up with some wild speculative idea that had no merit it would have died out like any other wild speculative idea we've come up with. But 90% of the species remains spiritual. Different religions rise and fall but human spirituality remains consistent throughout history.

1% separates us from the monkeys but they don't grapple with their own mortality because they have no concept of immortality... we do.
Yea because 7000 years ago they claimed God visited and people still believe that myth.

And yes God is speculative. No proof. Just because all great apes (us) believe it is no evidence. God is 100% speculation.

Remember the Greek gods? Wild speculation, ?

Not at all if you understand how the brain works.

Well, that's why I've been trying to avoid you. I think you're basically a nice person, but a confused person. I don't really want to be mean to you, but you annoy the crap out of me. Lol. :bye1:

Yea because 7000 years ago they claimed God visited and people still believe that myth.

And yes God is speculative. No proof. Just because all great apes (us) believe it is no evidence. God is 100% speculation.

Human spirituality isn't speculative. It's an undeniable fact of human behavior. It goes back much further than 7k years.

Not at all if you understand how the brain works.
Well, our brains cause our species to have intrinsic spiritual awareness.

Well, that's why I've been trying to avoid you. I think you're basically a nice person, but a confused person. I don't really want to be mean to you, but you annoy the crap out of me. Lol. :bye1:

I'm sorry you're annoyed by me refuting your arguments with logic and science.

Human spirituality isn't speculative. It's an undeniable fact of human behavior. It goes back much further than 7k years.
Spirituality doesn't prove a God exists sorry nice try. It proves humans are spiritual. We believe in ghosts devils demons angels and gods. So what?

At one time we speculated lots of gods today we speculate 1

I'm sorry you're annoyed by me refuting your arguments with logic and science.
Wishful thinking eliviates the stress of not knowing what happens when we die. We still don't know how we got here so the God hypothesis hasn't gone away. Plus we are such a new species. Give it time.

And lesser animals aren't smart enough to imagine a God but a more evolved species would recognize God is an invention we made up.

You are proof we haven't God superior intellect. Seems more like ignorant arrogance to me.

Let's say humans have been here for 1 million years. Dinosaurs and trilobites were here for billions of years before us. God didn't care about their souls but he cares about ours? Nonsense

Spirituality doesn't prove a God exists sorry nice try. It proves humans are spiritual. We believe in ghosts devils demons angels and gods. So what?

At one time we speculated lots of gods today we speculate 1

You're right, it doesn't prove God... it is what it is. We are spiritual. We have a connection with something greater than self. It is through this we form beliefs in all the things you mention. We certainly do not all worship the same God. You can't say what amount of that is true or not true, that's just a much of a speculation. The one thing you can't deny is that humans are spiritual and always have been.

I don't know why you always pat yourself on the back for the point that someone hasn't proven God... it's almost like your tiny little mind fully expects someone to one day prove God to you or something. When did I claim that I proved God? All I have proof of is that humans are spiritually connected to something greater than self. You're free to draw conclusions on what that is.

Forum List

Back