Why I Could Never Be GOP or Libertarian

Wouldn't Ron Paul supporters be happy if Obama won and in 3 years we:

a. Closed a lot of military bases around the world and saved trillions.

b. Legalized Pot and Prostitution.

c. Audited the Federal Reserve and solved our debt problem.

d. Got back to a projected surplus like when Clinton left office.

Sure we would. But we aren't naive enough to believe it would happen. Are you?

I would just love to go back 40 years and take away every benefit you ever enjoyed because a liberal or union worker earned it for you.

Social Security, medicare, public education, 40 hour work weeks, overtime, vacation pay, the high wages you got because your company had to compete with a union company to keep their good employees, etc.

And I know some Republicans who are in favor of making cuts to programs that help poor people and when they were young and poor, they benefitted from those very programs. I bet you made it all on your own, right Gramps? No one helped you make it? Sure.

I love how now that you succeeded in America the last 40 years the way things were, now you want to change the way America works even though that means it will be harder for us younger people to achieve what you were able to achieve.

High wages. Now you want us to make less.

Job Security. Doesn't exist anymore.

Profit Sharing. Today the CEO's get all the profits. And you think they deserve them all.

40 hour work week or pay me overtime. Overtime doesn't exist anymore.

Low insurance costs. You probably didn't pay shit for your healthcare when you were working. Today its out of control.

College Tuition Costs out of control. Government cut funding to schools so now only the rich can afford to go to school.

Lots of job opportunity. But today you supported sending all the good jobs out of the country.

Social Security and Medicare. You are ok with doing away with these things but not until you are dead. Right greedy gramps?

I have been self employed in the construction industry my entire adult life. You wanna try again on the subject of hard work or earning what I have?

As I said, you know not.

You, like many make broad based assumptions because I have a (R) after my name.

Perfect example of how you righties defend policies that make it harder for our generation to succeed. Remember you guys kept defending illegal workers because you said they were doing "jobs Americans wouldn't do?" Meanwhile they were taking over the construction industry.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

The magnet drawing them? Illegal Employers.

Yet in the American media, Illegal Employers are almost never mentioned.

"Between 1999 and 2003, work-site enforcement operations were scaled back 95 percent by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which subsequently was merged into the Homeland Security Department. The number of employers prosecuted for unlawfully employing immigrants dropped from 182 in 1999 to four in 2003, and fines collected declined from $3.6 million to $212,000, according to federal statistics.
"In 1999, the United States initiated fines against 417 companies. In 2004, it issued fine notices to three."

Try going back to 1965 and Teddy 'The Swimmer' Kennedy's Immigration Act. THAT'S where you'll find the root of the 'increased labor pool'.

Reagan's amnesty of 1986 was sold to us by the liberals as a "ONE TIME DEAL" and that from thenceforth we would have ENFORCEMENT of our immigration laws. The Dems had control of the House and Senate for the next 8 years and we got little to no enforcement. Every time conservatives tried to push for enforcement the liberals started screaming about 'racism' and 'jobs Americans won't do', and 'their just trying to feed their families'.

Don't you fucking come on here and try blaming conservatives for this illegal immigration mess cuz it was you LIBS that brought it on.

JACK-FUCKING-ASS!!!

He would only get this achieved if he got liberals to go along. So next year, we will push for these 4 things and hopefully you Ron Paulers will go along.

At least lets not go to war with Iran.

We are already in the process of legalizing pot in Michigan. Boy are the GOP fighting it!

In the GOP debates, start asking Romney and Santorum their position on the Federal Reserve. I'll do the same on the Democratic side.

To get back to surplus', we need to end the Bush tax breaks. Its a fact we can't do it with cuts alone. We have already given trillions in cuts. Cuts to Planned Parenthood, SS, Medicare, government employee healthcare costs, etc. The GOP turned around and instead of fixing the deficit problem, gave the tax breaks to corporations. Corporations that pay 3-12% in taxes. If you want really want to solve the deficit problem we are going to need some revenue. If later down the line you find some cost savings that make sense, we will work with you. We like it that you Ron Paul fans understand the waste/fraud that exists in our military industrial complex.

What is funny is people in your party have split personalities. On one hand they suggest they are the moral party because they are pro life but then their economic principles are Ayn Rand's.

Gary Weiss, the author of Ayn Rand Nation, said Tuesday that despite some overlap between their political philosophies, the novelist Ayn Rand would have hated Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

Many conservatives, most notably Glenn Beck, have renewed interest in the novels and philosophy of Rand. The Russian-born atheist author espoused the virtues of rational self-interest and laissez-faire capitalism in novels like Atlas Shrugged and numerous other writings.

“I don’t think she would particularly like any of the candidates,” Weiss said during an appearance on CNBC, “including Ron Paul. I think she would have hated Ron Paul.”

When asked why, Weiss noted that Paul was opposed to abortion.

“And she was very much in favor of abortion. She didn’t favor Ronald Reagan for the same reasons that she wouldn’t have favored any of the Republican nominees: for social issues.”

Hate to tell ya pal but it ain't my party.

I'm a registered Indi.

I'm a fiscal conservative and could care less about abortion, gays or any other social bs.

I could care less about relition. If I walked into a church the fucker would probably collapse.

Oh and BTW I could care less what anyone thinks of Paul.

Last I checked Ron Paul was in the GOP. So so are you. Hate to tell you babe.

I'm a fiscal conservative too. I hate government waste/corruption/fraud just as much as the next guy. That doesn't make me vote GOP though. Maybe you should take a look at Bernie Sanders. He's the liberal Ron Paul.

Hat to tell you BABE but I'm a registered Indi. and I'll wait to see who's running before I cast my vote.

How bout you??

Listening to everything the GOP and Libertarians have to say, I have to say I viamently disagree with the direction they want to take America. They are a very selfish group.

I've always found people like you quite hypocritical. You think that people who expect to keep the money they rightfully earned are greedy, but you never consider yourself greedy in expecting them to hand over part of their wealth that you never lifted a finger to help earn.

Your expectation is the ultimate example of jealousy and greed so I suggest you take a long and hard look at that reflection in the mirror if you want to see the physical embodiment of greed.

Speaking of people who never lifted a finger....

Would that include the folks who were born into money? Those living off Daddy's riches simply because they were lucky enough to land the right parents?

The folks who breezed through Harvard or some other top-end Ivy League school thanks to Daddy's riches, landing themselves an immediate, high-level job earning thousands of dollars per hour at the age of 23 or 24, also thanks to Daddy's riches and connections? They got the name, the money, the zip code, the education, and the head start before the game even began.

How do the poor folks living in the impoverished neighborhoods with the crappy school systems find the motivation to compete with that if they are always broke, sick, and under-educated?

People can only succeed if they go at it by themselves but what the conservatives blindly ignore is the fact that people can't succeed when they are set up to fail from moment they were born. The rich people are making more and more money off the hard labor of the middle class and the poor with little return.

Middle class and poor people are finding it harder and harder to keep and retain the basics of life: education, health care, putting food on the table. The system is broken. It's time to change the system. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Let the rich keep chipping away at the basics of life and they'll be in for a rude awakening one day.

I don't think it is incorrect to label the rich as greedy and selfish when they refuse to pay for the education and healthcare of those who labor so hard to make the money that goes right into their pockets. It's the least they could do.

I have been self employed in the construction industry my entire adult life. You wanna try again on the subject of hard work or earning what I have?

As I said, you know not.

You, like many make broad based assumptions because I have a (R) after my name.

Perfect example of how you righties defend policies that make it harder for our generation to succeed. Remember you guys kept defending illegal workers because you said they were doing "jobs Americans wouldn't do?" Meanwhile they were taking over the construction industry.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

"Between 1999 and 2003, work-site enforcement operations were scaled back 95 percent by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which subsequently was merged into the Homeland Security Department. The number of employers prosecuted for unlawfully employing immigrants dropped from 182 in 1999 to four in 2003, and fines collected declined from $3.6 million to $212,000, according to federal statistics.
"In 1999, the United States initiated fines against 417 companies. In 2004, it issued fine notices to three."

Try going back to 1965 and Teddy 'The Swimmer' Kennedy's Immigration Act. THAT'S where you'll find the root of the 'increased labor pool'.

Reagan's amnesty of 1986 was sold to us by the liberals as a "ONE TIME DEAL" and that from thenceforth we would have ENFORCEMENT of our immigration laws. The Dems had control of the House and Senate for the next 8 years and we got little to no enforcement. Every time conservatives tried to push for enforcement the liberals started screaming about 'racism' and 'jobs Americans won't do', and 'their just trying to feed their families'.

Don't you fucking come on here and try blaming conservatives for this illegal immigration mess cuz it was you LIBS that brought it on.

JACK-FUCKING-ASS!!!

Study your history and the facts and you'll learn that it wasn't until Reagan that they stopped going home. Until Reagan, they always went home at the end of the season.

Did you read the part about 99-2003 we stopped enforcing the laws? That was on Bush's watch with Bush appointees overseeing stuff like immigration. They didn't enforce the law. And the GOP loved it because it flooded the market with cheap labor and they used it to keep our wages down. What a dope you are to not realize the GOP used immigrants to hurt the middle class that they say makes too much.

And immigration isn't the only regulations the Bush Regime didn't enforce. Nuclear safety? Blind eye. Mine safety. No regulations whatsoever. Caught breaking the regulations? Slap on the wrist. Regulate offshore pipelines? We see what happened in the Gulf. They cut corners because they weren't being regulated and look at the pollution they caused.

The EPA and FDA didn't do any enforcing on Bush's watch either and look at how they poisoned our pets. Sent our kids toys with led and murcury in them.

Look at how FEMA handled Katrina. Bush appointed one of his buddies to run FEMA. Guy had no experience.

He would only get this achieved if he got liberals to go along. So next year, we will push for these 4 things and hopefully you Ron Paulers will go along.

LOL... so the answer is "yes!". Tell you what, I'll make a real sweet bet he doesn't go near any of these things. Whatdya say?

I actually had some (very slim, but it was there) hope that Obama might change things when he was elected. But as soon as he announced his cabinet choices it became painfully obvious his administration would be nothing but business as usual. He's a corporatist through-and-through and will do nothing to upset the status quo.

Listening to everything the GOP and Libertarians have to say, I have to say I viamently disagree with the direction they want to take America. They are a very selfish group.

I've always found people like you quite hypocritical. You think that people who expect to keep the money they rightfully earned are greedy, but you never consider yourself greedy in expecting them to hand over part of their wealth that you never lifted a finger to help earn.

Your expectation is the ultimate example of jealousy and greed so I suggest you take a long and hard look at that reflection in the mirror if you want to see the physical embodiment of greed.

Would that include the folks who were born into money? Those living off Daddy's riches simply because they were lucky enough to land the right parents?

The folks who breezed through Harvard or some other top-end Ivy League school thanks to Daddy's riches, landing themselves an immediate, high-level job earning thousands of dollars per hour at the age of 23 or 24, also thanks to Daddy's riches and connections? They got the name, the money, the zip code, the education, and the head start before the game even began.

How do the poor folks living in the impoverished neighborhoods with the crappy school systems find the motivation to compete with that if they are always broke, sick, and under-educated?

People can only succeed if they go at it by themselves but what the conservatives blindly ignore is the fact that people can't succeed when they are set up to fail from moment they were born. The rich people are making more and more money off the hard labor of the middle class and the poor with little return.

Middle class and poor people are finding it harder and harder to keep and retain the basics of life: education, health care, putting food on the table. The system is broken. It's time to change the system. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Let the rich keep chipping away at the basics of life and they'll be in for a rude awakening one day.

I don't think it is incorrect to label the rich as greedy and selfish when they refuse to pay for the education and healthcare of those who labor so hard to make the money that goes right into their pockets. It's the least they could do.

Great post.

I heard once that most of the people on the Forbes Billionaires list either were born into it or they made their money off the stock market and wallstreet. In other words, they don't produce anything. Therefore they don't employ a lot of people either. How many people work for Romney? His stockbroker, accountant and financial advisor. He's got 100 million dollars and he employs 3 people, not a factory full of workers who are making products that people can consume. Yet he only pays 12% and we pay 35%?

Its not all rich people. A lot of rich people are completely ok with giving up the Bush tax breaks if it will put things right. But they aren't the ones bribing our politicians through lobbyists. Those are the Koch Brothers and the Heritage Foundation and ALEC. These billionaires and millionaires are evil and its a game to them. Its all about power.

Well we all better be rich when Obamacare hits.

Apparantly its going to cost 111 Billion.

Yep. Dems the party of lets screw the taxpayer.

Hey Claudette sweety. Let me remind you why healthcare reform was needed in the first place. This from 2007. Please look at number two honey:

Since Bush has been president:

•over 5 million people have slipped into poverty;
•nearly 7 million Americans have lost their health insurance;
•median household income has gone down by nearly $1,300;
•three million manufacturing jobs have been lost;
•three million American workers have lost their pensions;
•home foreclosures are now the highest on record;
•the personal savings rate is below zero - which hasn't happened since the great depression;
•the real earnings of college graduates have gone down by about 5% in the last few years;
•entry level wages for male and female high school graduates have fallen by over 3%;
•wages and salaries are now at the lowest share of GDP since 1929.

Republicans want to pretend that things were great before Obama.

Hey if you want to pay for peoples HC why feel free. I'm not interested in paying somebody elses bills.

BTW the reform that was needed in HC was to the cost. The only thing that clusterfuck of a bill does is guarantee that anyone with insurance is going to be paying up the ass for it so we can cover all the have nots.

That may be your idea of a great reform but it sure as fuck ain't mine.

JACK-FUCKING-ASS!!!

Study your history and the facts and you'll learn that it wasn't until Reagan that they stopped going home. Until Reagan, they always went home at the end of the season.

Did you read the part about 99-2003 we stopped enforcing the laws? That was on Bush's watch with Bush appointees overseeing stuff like immigration. They didn't enforce the law. And the GOP loved it because it flooded the market with cheap labor and they used it to keep our wages down. What a dope you are to not realize the GOP used immigrants to hurt the middle class that they say makes too much.

And immigration isn't the only regulations the Bush Regime didn't enforce. Nuclear safety? Blind eye. Mine safety. No regulations whatsoever. Caught breaking the regulations? Slap on the wrist. Regulate offshore pipelines? We see what happened in the Gulf. They cut corners because they weren't being regulated and look at the pollution they caused.

The EPA and FDA didn't do any enforcing on Bush's watch either and look at how they poisoned our pets. Sent our kids toys with led and murcury in them.

Look at how FEMA handled Katrina. Bush appointed one of his buddies to run FEMA. Guy had no experience.

Sorry, but you're rock fucking stupid! Kennedy's immigration law increased our LEGAL immigration from 200K/year based on ability to over 1 MILLION a year from the poorest, stupidest and darkest corners of the Earth. I think he had a problem with educated, capable Europeans and preferred millions of illiterate gardeners and housekeepers. Since then LEGAL immigration has climbed to almost 1.5 MILLION a year, with ILLEGAL immigration adding ANOTHER 2 million a year over the last 20 years.

California Republicans tried to do something about it in THEIR state 20 years ago, and it wound up that the LIBERAL 9th Circus Court shot them down while the Dems closed their eyes to possibly 1 MILLION illegal new voters. Hey, they were more Dems, why would they care?

And don't think for one minute I give George Bush a pass, I HATED that fuckwad! Remember, he's the Republican prick that tried to pass ANOTHER amnesty in 2005. People like me shut down the switchboards in Washington DC for DAYS over that treasonous shit!
Goddamned Chamber of Commerce cocksuckers!

LOL... so the answer is "yes!". Tell you what, I'll make a real sweet bet he doesn't go near any of these things. Whatdya say?

I actually had some (very slim, but it was there) hope that Obama might change things when he was elected. But as soon as he announced his cabinet choices it became painfully obvious his administration would be nothing but business as usual. He's a corporatist through-and-through and will do nothing to upset the status quo.

How come you can't convince Republicans the same thing is true about Romney or Santorum? That they want to protect the status quo.

Do you argue with Republicans on USMB who support Romney/Santorum?

How is that going? What do they say? How come Ron Paul isn't beating them? Do you guys call Romney/Santorum supporters stupid too? Do you argue with them like you do with us? Because it seems like first you need to win them over to get him the nomination.

Great post.

I heard once that most of the people on the Forbes Billionaires list either were born into it or they made their money off the stock market and wallstreet. In other words, they don't produce anything. Therefore they don't employ a lot of people either. How many people work for Romney? His stockbroker, accountant and financial advisor. He's got 100 million dollars and he employs 3 people, not a factory full of workers who are making products that people can consume. Yet he only pays 12% and we pay 35%?

Its not all rich people. A lot of rich people are completely ok with giving up the Bush tax breaks if it will put things right. But they aren't the ones bribing our politicians through lobbyists. Those are the Koch Brothers and the Heritage Foundation and ALEC. These billionaires and millionaires are evil and its a game to them. Its all about power.

Absolutely. In business, there are barriers to entry which make it difficult for a new business to start up and compete with those who are already in business.

The greedy Koch Brothers et al. have done quite well over the last couple of centuries in this country setting up barriers to entry to life itself. Keep the poor uneducated and you will keep them in control. Keep them sick and dependent on the occasional scraps that get thrown their way and you will keep them in control. It's a really sick system.

Jesus. What a load of horseshit.

You probably believe every word of it too.

Good Gawd.

Well we all better be rich when Obamacare hits.

Apparantly its going to cost 111 Billion.

Yep. Dems the party of lets screw the taxpayer.

Hey Claudette sweety. Let me remind you why healthcare reform was needed in the first place. This from 2007. Please look at number two honey:

Since Bush has been president:

•over 5 million people have slipped into poverty;
•nearly 7 million Americans have lost their health insurance;
•median household income has gone down by nearly $1,300;
•three million manufacturing jobs have been lost;
•three million American workers have lost their pensions;
•home foreclosures are now the highest on record;
•the personal savings rate is below zero - which hasn't happened since the great depression;
•the real earnings of college graduates have gone down by about 5% in the last few years;
•entry level wages for male and female high school graduates have fallen by over 3%;
•wages and salaries are now at the lowest share of GDP since 1929.

Republicans want to pretend that things were great before Obama.

Hey if you want to pay for peoples HC why feel free. I'm not interested in paying somebody elses bills.

BTW the reform that was needed in HC was to the cost. The only thing that clusterfuck of a bill does is guarantee that anyone with insurance is going to be paying up the ass for it so we can cover all the have nots.

That may be your idea of a great reform but it sure as fuck ain't mine.

The only reason your healthcare costs are where they are now is because you are in a pool of people and your company is chipping in for you. Collectively you save. You righties can't seem to grasp the concept that we are all in this together.

What I would love is for our employer to take away your healthcare. Then you can go buy healthcare on the free market as an individual. No one will be paying for your healthcare. You can pay for you. And YOU, my dear, will go broke. Or if/when you lose your job, you might want to buy into Obamacare rather than go uninsured. At least you'll be able to afford Obamacare.

And if you don't like Obamacare then you should have went along with us on Single Payer Healthcare.

Did you complain about Bush's Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act? Cost us 600 billion between 2006-2015.

Great post.

Absolutely. In business, there are barriers to entry which make it difficult for a new business to start up and compete with those who are already in business.

The greedy Koch Brothers et al. have done quite well over the last couple of centuries in this country setting up barriers to entry to life itself. Keep the poor uneducated and you will keep them in control. Keep them sick and dependent on the occasional scraps that get thrown their way and you will keep them in control. It's a really sick system.

Absolutely. That is why they are making it more expensive to go to school and Santorum is making fun of the President for saying he wants every kid to go to college.

Isn't that the opposite of what the GOP were saying when 7 million factory jobs were going overseas? They said those uneducated factory workers needed to go back to school and get an education if they want to keep up in this new economy. Now Santorum is suggesting that higher education isn't needed? Or that Obama is a snob for suggesting everyone get a higher education?

And the Healthcare system is broken. We pay them hundreds of dollars every month and if we get sick, we have to pay out of pocket $3000 first EVERY YEAR and the insurance company doesn't kick in one dime until I have paid $3000 first.

So lets say they get $100 a month from me, that's $1200 a year. Plus $3000 I have to pay $4200 out of pocket every year before Blue Cross pays one dime.

No shit they are making record profits. Most of us don't use 3000 a year in services to year after year the insurance company makes money on me, and pays nothing. If I get real sick then they will kick in.

But here is the other kicker. If you get real sick, your employer might fire you. You have no right to your job unless you are in a union. So then you will have to pay COBRA which is basically unaffordable.

I believe most bankruptsies are due to unexpected healthcare bills. They push people over the edge.

I remember my dad worked for Ford when we were growing up. Good Union Job. He paid virtually nothing per month and if we went to the emergency room it was $5 and perscription drugs were $5.

Paul Ryan, the father of a Republican budget initiative that seeks to destroy Medicare and Social Security has continually invoked the name of Ayn Rand as his philosophical mentor and guide. Many other Republicans have do so too. They are embracing a philosophy which, according to Ayn Rand herself, is one of selfishness and is against all forms of Spirituality. The question any thoughtful Americans must ask themselves is: “Is this the America we want?”

And how do they get evangelicals to go along with them is beyond me.

Its a very selfish every man for himself mentality.

And Libertarians don't believe in the Commons. What are the Commons?

The Commons are resources that are owned by all of us. That includes the Grand Canyon, oil rights, power companies, roads, public airwaves, schools, etc.

Here is how they think. Libertarians think if we all own the land on which our sheep graze, we will each add one too many sheep until we destroy the land for future generations. That We the People can't manage the commons.

Libertarians think that if one person owns the land and charged everyone else grazing fees, he would be more committed to preserving it for the future than a village of farmers.

I disagree.

You make me laugh, Bobo...you have this notion in your holier than thou (but in a non-religious way of course!) way, that Republicans are "selfish". But what is it that makes conservatives "selfish" about making the hard choices over what we as a nation CAN afford and CANNOT afford? That's not being selfish...that's being realistic. Little children demand things that aren't in the budget...adults tell them no.

I'd make the point that people who continue to demand services that cannot be paid for are the ones who are "selfish". Those would be unfunded entitlements...the things that you say Paul Ryan is trying to "destroy". Ryan is in fact trying to start a discussion about reforming those unfunded entitlements because it's quite obvious that if we don't...then they won't stay solvent. It's progressives like yourself who want layer upon layer of entitlements but don't care how they are paid for that are the "selfish" folks.

Did you complain about Bush's Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act? Cost us 600 billion between 2006-2015.

You're GODDAMNED RIGHT I DID!!! Fat lot of good it did, but there were LOTS of Conservatives that bitched about it. You don't pay much attention until it fits your worldview, do you?

Forum List

Back