Why I can no longer call myself an Evangelical Republican

"How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?"

How could anyone who calls himself a ‘Christian’ support any politician – such as Trump and Moore – who is a purveyor of bigotry, hate, and ignorance.
Because none of that shit is true.

"How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?"

How could anyone who calls himself a ‘Christian’ support any politician – such as Trump and Moore – who is a purveyor of bigotry, hate, and ignorance.

Moore didn't matter one way or another to me. He was only a mouthpiece for the Christian evangelical wing of the party, not true conservative republicans.

A loss for Moore never meant the liberal dems would take over the Senate. The GOP is still in control and the honorable President Trump is still Commander in Chief regardless what you sorry libs think of him.

"There are times in life when the institutional ground underneath you begins to crumble — and with it, longstanding attachments. Such is the case for me when it comes to the Republican Party and evangelicalism.

I’ve been a part of both for my entire adult life. These days, though, in many important ways they are having harmful effects on our society.

The latest example is in Alabama, where Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate, stands accused of varying degrees of sexual misconduct by nine women, including one who was 14 years old at the time. Mr. Moore leads in most polls, and solidly among most evangelicals, heading into Tuesday’s election.

Yet the support being given by many Republicans and white evangelicals to President Trump and now to Mr. Moore have caused me to rethink my identification with both groups. Not because my attachment to conservatism and Christianity has weakened, but rather the opposite. I consider Mr. Trump’s Republican Party to be a threat to conservatism, and I have concluded that the term evangelical — despite its rich history of proclaiming the “good news” of Christ to a broken world — has been so distorted that it is now undermining the Christian witness.

Assume you were a person of the left and an atheist, and you decided to create a couple of people in a laboratory to discredit the Republican Party and white evangelical Christianity. You could hardly choose two more perfect men than Donald Trump and Roy Moore."
excellent article more at this link.
Opinion | Why I Can No Longer Call Myself an Evangelical Republican

How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?

All over this country there were white male pastors that were singing Trump's praises during the campaign season. Including Mike Huckabee, Billy Graham Jr. & several others. Where did Evangelicals lose their way? Another good article. How the bible belt lost God and found Trump.
How the Bible Belt lost God and found Trump

By doing this, do they have any idea how many they have chased away from the teachings of Jesus Christ? How many refuse to go church today, because they so heavily supported Donald Trump. They instead, have made a mockery of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yet today, there are Evangelicals in Alabama that refer to themselves as Christians supporting Roy Moore.

As the above article (How they lost GOD and found Trump) explains -most of their political interest is centered around abortion. Which is a 46 year old U.S. Supreme Court already settled issue. One that Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, stated during confirmation hearings: That Roe v Wade is precedent in the Constitution, meaning set in stone.
Gorsuch to Feinstein: Abortion ruling is 'precedent'

So are they really Christians? I don't think so. I think they're red hat Jesus followers more than anything.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9cd042a2-1f96-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

I used to call myself a Democrat.....but then I grew the fuck up....

This thread is about Evangelical Republicans. 81% of them voted for Trump--and they heavily supported Roy Moore in Alabama.

"There are times in life when the institutional ground underneath you begins to crumble — and with it, longstanding attachments. Such is the case for me when it comes to the Republican Party and evangelicalism.

I’ve been a part of both for my entire adult life. These days, though, in many important ways they are having harmful effects on our society.

The latest example is in Alabama, where Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate, stands accused of varying degrees of sexual misconduct by nine women, including one who was 14 years old at the time. Mr. Moore leads in most polls, and solidly among most evangelicals, heading into Tuesday’s election.

Yet the support being given by many Republicans and white evangelicals to President Trump and now to Mr. Moore have caused me to rethink my identification with both groups. Not because my attachment to conservatism and Christianity has weakened, but rather the opposite. I consider Mr. Trump’s Republican Party to be a threat to conservatism, and I have concluded that the term evangelical — despite its rich history of proclaiming the “good news” of Christ to a broken world — has been so distorted that it is now undermining the Christian witness.

Assume you were a person of the left and an atheist, and you decided to create a couple of people in a laboratory to discredit the Republican Party and white evangelical Christianity. You could hardly choose two more perfect men than Donald Trump and Roy Moore."

How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?

All over this country there were white male pastors that were singing Trump's praises during the campaign season. Including Mike Huckabee, Billy Graham Jr. & several others. Where did Evangelicals lose their way? Another good article. How the bible belt lost God and found Trump.

By doing this, do they have any idea how many they have chased away from the teachings of Jesus Christ? How many refuse to go church today, because they so heavily supported Donald Trump. They instead, have made a mockery of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yet today, there are Evangelicals in Alabama that refer to themselves as Christians supporting Roy Moore.

As the above article (How they lost GOD and found Trump) explains -most of their political interest is centered around abortion. Which is a 46 year old U.S. Supreme Court already settled issue. One that Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, stated during confirmation hearings: That Roe v Wade is precedent in the Constitution, meaning set in stone.

So are they really Christians? I don't think so. I think they're red hat Jesus followers more than anything.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9cd042a2-1f96-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

I am not an evangelical, nor am I a Trump supporter. I too am dismayed though not surprised by their seeming hypocrisy.

But I'm going to offer you a defense of them.

First, until Trump was nominated, character apparently mattered to evangelicals. But when Trump was nominated, character became less important to evangelicals than anybody else.

POLL: White Evangelicals Have Warmed To Politicians Who Commit 'Immoral' Acts

Evangelicals are no different than anyone else. People engage in confirmation bias to rationalize away things that don't support their worldview. That's why by a wide margin, evangelicals thought the women whom have accused Roy Moore of lying. Democrats did the same thing when Bill Clinton was accused of inappropriate sexual conduct when he was President.

I understand that an evangelical conservative Republican would be dismayed and even disgusted by Trump and Roy Moore. But what the last year shows you is that evangelicals are just as human - and flawed - as everyone else.

They're broken. They have burned down the Republican party family values platform. They have lost the high moral ground, and are not credible--either in politics or the Christian faith.

Personally I think it was nothing more than mob mentality, coming out of the church. Where Pastor's were telling their congregations--"you don't have to like him," but vote for him anyway. I'll give credit to the 19% that didn't cast a vote for Trump--but that's it.

Character does matter. We are talking about the POTUS who represents all of us around the world. They have to have honor, respect, dignity, humility & decency. Trump doesn't have an ounce of that in his entire body.

There is no one alive that could have watched any of those debates either in the primary or with Hillary Clinton and walked away believing that Trump won a single one of them, or was competent or qualified to be POTUS. If they tell you differently--they're lying through their teeth.

screen-shot-2015-09-16-at-11-27-19-am.jpg

This pretty much sums up his debate skills and the way he has been talking and tweeting since he's been in office.

Last edited:
People like you are the reason why we lose the culture. Your self righteousness gives us Hillary, Obama and the warriors for the anti God culture.

Just admit it..."Old enough to Bleed, Old enough to Breed" was just not a good campaign slogan for Moore. :2up:

Was this after or before Mom kicked you out of the trailer? :boohoo:

Was this after or before Mom kicked you out of the trailer? :boohoo:

I never lived in a trailer.....but my family was Democrat.
I just don't feel comfortable voting for communists who deal in drug and human-trafficking. That the Democrats of today.

So in essence you used this man in defense of supporting Roy Moore. A man from Colorado whom you have no idea if he's a Democrat, Republican or Independent or if he is affiliated with politics in any manner or ever voted in his entire life.

Was this man also running for a United States Senate Seat or POTUS?---:badgrin:

Annoyed-Daffy-Duck-Quote-On-Stupid-People-Aliens.jpg

So in essence you used this man in defense of supporting Roy Moore--- Was this man also running for a United States Senate Seat?---:badgrin:

When you say stupid shit like "in essence" what it means is "you didn't say this or mean it, but I'm going to act like you did".

I don't need any defense for supporting Roy Moore. He wasn't convicted of anything, and everybody on the left are proven lying gasbags.

So in essence you used this man in defense of supporting Roy Moore--- Was this man also running for a United States Senate Seat?---:badgrin:

When you say stupid shit like "in essence" what it means is "you didn't say this or mean it, but I'm going to act like you did".

I don't need any defense for supporting Roy Moore. He wasn't convicted of anything, and everybody on the left are proven lying gasbags.

I like the dog

Hillary Clinton was never charged with anything, but it didn't stop you from chanting "lock her up."

In essense, means EXACTLY what I said dumbass.

Hillary Clinton was never charged with anything, but it didn't stop you from chanting "lock her up."

In essense, means EXACTLY what I said dumbass.

Hillary Clinton was investigated and found to be a criminal hag.
The fact that she wasn't locked up is evidence of FBI corruption..not her innocence.

Moore on the other hand wasn't even investigated. Because there never were any charges.

Does it ever bother you that the backbone of America wants to kill or imprison democrats? That we don't want our children to be educated by or come into any sort of contact with you scumbags? That we use you as an example of everything that is wrong with humanity?

Of course it doesn't. You pigs revel in it.

Obama State Department Let Clinton And Huma Make Off With Boxes Of ‘Muslim Engagement’ Docs

“These new documents show the Obama State Department had a deal with Hillary Clinton to hide her calls logs and schedules, which would be contrary to FOIA and other laws,” Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in a statement. “When are the American people going to get an honest investigation of the Clinton crimes?”

"The documents, which are not classified but carry a special notation that they are not to be made public under normal FOIA procedure, include a list of Clinton’s personal and official calls. The special notation was included as part of an addendum signed by Clarence N. Finney Jr., then-director of the Office of Correspondence and Records, who reviewed the records.

"The newly obtained records also show that Abedin was authorized to remove five boxes of “physical files” that include documents described as “Muslim Engagement.”

Forum List

Back