Why I can no longer call myself an Evangelical Republican

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
"There are times in life when the institutional ground underneath you begins to crumble — and with it, longstanding attachments. Such is the case for me when it comes to the Republican Party and evangelicalism.

I’ve been a part of both for my entire adult life. These days, though, in many important ways they are having harmful effects on our society.

The latest example is in Alabama, where Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate, stands accused of varying degrees of sexual misconduct by nine women, including one who was 14 years old at the time. Mr. Moore leads in most polls, and solidly among most evangelicals, heading into Tuesday’s election.

Yet the support being given by many Republicans and white evangelicals to President Trump and now to Mr. Moore have caused me to rethink my identification with both groups. Not because my attachment to conservatism and Christianity has weakened, but rather the opposite. I consider Mr. Trump’s Republican Party to be a threat to conservatism, and I have concluded that the term evangelical — despite its rich history of proclaiming the “good news” of Christ to a broken world — has been so distorted that it is now undermining the Christian witness.

Assume you were a person of the left and an atheist, and you decided to create a couple of people in a laboratory to discredit the Republican Party and white evangelical Christianity. You could hardly choose two more perfect men than Donald Trump and Roy Moore."
excellent article more at this link.
Opinion | Why I Can No Longer Call Myself an Evangelical Republican

How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?

All over this country there were white male pastors that were singing Trump's praises during the campaign season. Including Mike Huckabee, Billy Graham Jr. & several others. Where did Evangelicals lose their way? Another good article. How the bible belt lost God and found Trump.
How the Bible Belt lost God and found Trump

By doing this, do they have any idea how many they have chased away from the teachings of Jesus Christ? How many refuse to go church today, because they so heavily supported Donald Trump. They instead, have made a mockery of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yet today, there are Evangelicals in Alabama that refer to themselves as Christians supporting Roy Moore.

As the above article (How they lost GOD and found Trump) explains -most of their political interest is centered around abortion. Which is a 46 year old U.S. Supreme Court already settled issue. One that Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, stated during confirmation hearings: That Roe v Wade is precedent in the Constitution, meaning set in stone.
Gorsuch to Feinstein: Abortion ruling is 'precedent'

So are they really Christians? I don't think so. I think they're red hat Jesus followers more than anything.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9cd042a2-1f96-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

Last edited:
It's impossible not to see the hypocrisy of the evangelicals profess their love and devotion to a child molester and serial sex offender.
It's amazing how very few of these holy rollers have had the light bulb turned on moment.
When you support a guy that has said he'd get rid of the amendment that gave women the right to vote and that " drive by shootings are the result of evolution being taught in schools" among so many other freaky bizarre type things and POTUS supports that type of insanity, well we've literally entered into the Twilight Zone.

"There are times in life when the institutional ground underneath you begins to crumble — and with it, longstanding attachments. Such is the case for me when it comes to the Republican Party and evangelicalism.

I’ve been a part of both for my entire adult life. These days, though, in many important ways they are having harmful effects on our society.

The latest example is in Alabama, where Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate, stands accused of varying degrees of sexual misconduct by nine women, including one who was 14 years old at the time. Mr. Moore leads in most polls, and solidly among most evangelicals, heading into Tuesday’s election.

Yet the support being given by many Republicans and white evangelicals to President Trump and now to Mr. Moore have caused me to rethink my identification with both groups. Not because my attachment to conservatism and Christianity has weakened, but rather the opposite. I consider Mr. Trump’s Republican Party to be a threat to conservatism, and I have concluded that the term evangelical — despite its rich history of proclaiming the “good news” of Christ to a broken world — has been so distorted that it is now undermining the Christian witness.

Assume you were a person of the left and an atheist, and you decided to create a couple of people in a laboratory to discredit the Republican Party and white evangelical Christianity. You could hardly choose two more perfect men than Donald Trump and Roy Moore."

How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?

All over this country there were white male pastors that were singing Trump's praises during the campaign season. Including Mike Huckabee, Billy Graham Jr. & several others. Where did Evangelicals lose their way? Another good article. How the bible belt lost God and found Trump.

By doing this, do they have any idea how many they have chased away from the teachings of Jesus Christ? How many refuse to go church today, because they so heavily supported Donald Trump. They instead, have made a mockery of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yet today, there are Evangelicals in Alabama that refer to themselves as Christians supporting Roy Moore.

As the above article (How they lost GOD and found Trump) explains -most of their political interest is centered around abortion. Which is a 46 year old U.S. Supreme Court already settled issue. One that Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, stated during confirmation hearings: That Roe v Wade is precedent in the Constitution, meaning set in stone.

So are they really Christians? I don't think so. I think they're red hat Jesus followers more than anything.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9cd042a2-1f96-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

Call somebody that gives a shit...

Terrific post, oreo.

I’m an Independent and I support ideas from both the liberal and conservative sides. No one has a monopoly on good ideas, and neither party has a lock on what it takes to be a “good” and honorable person. The hyper-partisanship we see all around us has grown and worsened, I believe, because so many Americans have been manipulated by the super-rich whose only real loyalty is to their fucking bank accounts.

Evangelicals have surprised me. I used to think they had a genuine moral foundation and principles on which they based their actions. Seeing them in full support of trump and the other deviant, Moore, has changed that. I now believe most of them are total hypocrites, not worth listening to, or taking seriously.

I hope some sanity will eventually return to our politics and that the poisonous rhetoric will be dialed down. We’re all Americans, and we should begin acting like it. Neither party has all the answers, and compromise is NOT a dirty word. Most importantly, there are many good people on both sides, and it’s foolish and ignorant to believe otherwise.

I’m an Independent and I support ideas from both the liberal and conservative sides. No one has a monopoly on good ideas, and neither party has a lock on what it takes to be a “good” and honorable person. The hyper-partisanship we see all around us has grown and worsened, I believe, because so many Americans have been manipulated by the super-rich whose only real loyalty is to their fucking bank accounts.

Evangelicals have surprised me. I used to think they had a genuine moral foundation and principles on which they based their actions. Seeing them in full support of trump and the other deviant, Moore, has changed that. I now believe most of them are total hypocrites, not worth listening to, or taking seriously.

I hope some sanity will eventually return to our politics and that the poisonous rhetoric will be dialed down. We’re all Americans, and we should begin acting like it. Neither party has all the answers, and compromise is NOT a dirty word. Most importantly, there are many good people on both sides, and it’s foolish and ignorant to believe otherwise.
:clap:

Terrific post, oreo.

I look at religion as an ideology. And I look at any ideology as an affliction that distorts perceptions and thought processes, making the afflicted unable to exercise reason, curiosity and intellectual honesty. Part of this includes convincing themselves of some fairly out-there ideas, so in a real way, they're being "honest".

I look at evangelical RW's as used car/snake oil salesmen.

have an affair, cry on television one year- stand up and ask decent people for their $$ the next year.

or that 85 year old dope with shoe polish black hair selling magic spring water
or dips like Tilton who took your $$ for a prayer then got thrown out of town and off tv
any of the "instant healers"
or anyone who can lay a hand on your forehead and VIOLA - youre saved!!!!!!

nah, thumpers lost me when I was in high school. I'm out.

`
My theory is the political evangelicals think God will forgive them because Moore will advance "Dominion Theology", which is part the evangelical belief. In other words, the ends justify the means.

Not at all,
I believe a Jesuit motto is 'If the end is lawful the means are lawful'.

"Herman Busembaum, in his 'Medulla Theologiae Moralis' (first published at Frankfort-on-the-Main, 1650) gives this as a theorem (p. 320). Cum finis est licitus, etiam media sunt licita (when the end is lawful, the means also are lawful); and p. 504:Cui licitus est finis, etiam licent media (for whom the end is lawful, the means are lawful also). The Jesuit Paul Layman, in his 'Theologia Moralis,' lib. III., p. 20 (Munich, 1625), quoting Sanchez, states the proposition in these words. Cui concessus est finis, concessa etiam sunt media ad finem ordinata (to whom the end is permitted, to him also are permitted the means ordered to the end). Louis Wagemann, Jesuit professor of moral theology, in his 'Synopsis Theologiae Moralis' (Innsbruck and Augsburg, 1762) has. Finis determinat moralitatem actus (the end decides the morality of the act)."–"The Jesuits," pp. 47, 48. New York:1895.
The Jesuits

"Why I can no longer call myself a progressive liberal" - Frank Starkey

"I was a proud pussyhat wearing Progressive Liberal, but recent seditious behavior and open embrace of communism have made me reconsider being a progressive first responder, defending anything and everything that we do."

Time and time again we see the left and others like the OP, assume Moore's guilt with exactly zero evidence. Then they base this entire diatribe on why anyone would vote for the guy since he did what he did. It's nuts, these people are insane.

The Corrupt Democratic Party has been built around hating rich people, white people and Christians.

"Herman Busembaum, in his 'Medulla Theologiae Moralis' (first published at Frankfort-on-the-Main, 1650) gives this as a theorem (p. 320). Cum finis est licitus, etiam media sunt licita (when the end is lawful, the means also are lawful); and p. 504:Cui licitus est finis, etiam licent media (for whom the end is lawful, the means are lawful also). The Jesuit Paul Layman, in his 'Theologia Moralis,' lib. III., p. 20 (Munich, 1625), quoting Sanchez, states the proposition in these words. Cui concessus est finis, concessa etiam sunt media ad finem ordinata (to whom the end is permitted, to him also are permitted the means ordered to the end). Louis Wagemann, Jesuit professor of moral theology, in his 'Synopsis Theologiae Moralis' (Innsbruck and Augsburg, 1762) has. Finis determinat moralitatem actus (the end decides the morality of the act)."–"The Jesuits," pp. 47, 48. New York:1895.The Jesuits
`
That's nice but it doesn't prove anything. Like I said, I get my info from secular sources, as I pointed out.

Time and time again we see the left and others like the OP, assume Moore's guilt with exactly zero evidence. Then they base this entire diatribe on why anyone would vote for the guy since he did what he did. It's nuts, these people are insane.
Not insane... Calculating, and utterly desperate. The party, and ideology they've spent their lives promoting is "terminal"; and like the last gasps of a dying star... Look for the most indoctrinated amongst them to go "super nova".

Whaddya know; seems the "in the world but not of it" mob, who I dearly love, have just had a dose of reality. The President isn't Jesus; never has been and never will be. You go by POLICIES!! You elect the better POLICIES. I really don't give a damn about the person as long as they're basically decent. And if you believe that twaddle about Moore then frankly I question your powers of discernment.

Greg

Greg

New Topics

Forum List

Back