Why I buy what I buy (cars)

images
I had a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix. One of my most favorite cars. Just loved the way it drove. Liked the interior too. Had a 400 in it.

1974-Grand-Prix002.jpg
Here's the last pontiac I owned.
photobucket-3029-1309407057241.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
One huge regret... selling my 1980 Chevy 3/4 ton, 4x4 Silverado, loaded to the hilt... very rare truck. Gave it some TLC and flipped it for a profit too. Had a plow on it when I got it. Wish I had kept this one though... rare truck... should have kept it and cheeried it out...

2014.jpg

Some folks give Jeep a bad rap.
I believe the Grand stands far above the rest of their lineup.
Jeeps used to be great vehicles. ... :thup:

But now Jeep is owned by Fiat and their quality and reliability has gone downhill big time.

Fiat, who makes terrible cars, also owns Chrysler / Dodge. ... :cool:
Yeah. Not really fond of the Fiat takeover. The Grand WK2 is still basically the last of the lineup of Diamer before Fiat and the redesigns of the lower models. The WK2 was to come out before the Mercedes ML, but the launch was delayed during the bankruptcy.
The wife owns the regular Cherokee, so far that has performed without any issues.
At this point we are both very happy with our purchases.

But now Jeep is owned by Fiat and their quality and reliability has gone downhill big time.

I bought a Jeep in the late 70s from AMC and it was very poorly made. I think it's fair to say that AMC was just as bad as Fiat.

I bought a Jeep in the late 70s from AMC and it was very poorly made. I think it's fair to say that AMC was just as bad as Fiat.

With a sweet ride like this.
Why would anyone buy anything but AMC? :rolleyes:
amc-pacer.jpg

View attachment 230866

The Pacer, along with its cousin the Gremlin are but two of many examples of why AMC went broke before selling out to Renault.

The fact is that AMC survived as long as it did was only because it owned the Jeep brand, which symbolized rugged dependability.

View attachment 230866
I had an AMC too, a 1970 AMX with the "Go Pack," a 375hp 390ci with a BW T-10 close ratio 4 speed and a posi... one of the FUNNEST cars I ever owned. Thing was ridiculous fast. Rumor was they were under rated for horse power because of insurance. Probably was more like 425 horse power. As much fun to drive as my new SS Camaro...

1970-AMC-AMX-Go-Pack.jpg

View attachment 230866

The Pacer, along with its cousin the Gremlin are but two of many examples of why AMC went broke before selling out to Renault.

The fact is that AMC survived as long as it did was only because it owned the Jeep brand, which symbolized rugged dependability.
The 70's had some classic crappy cars. My parents owned a Chevy Vega, didn't even make 80K miles. Who can forget the classic exploding Ford Pinto?

View attachment 230866

The 70's had some classic crappy cars. My parents owned a Chevy Vega, didn't even make 80K miles. Who can forget the classic exploding Ford Pinto?
I'd say the 80's were worse. All the horse power was gone and they were mandated to have those huge ugly bumpers, and everything was squared off, dashes, body styles, lights... speedometers only went to 85 miles an hour... what a joke. I don't recall ever owning an 80's something car or truck either. I kinda jumped from owning 60's and 70's vehicles to the 90's and beyond.

I get tired of my cars after 3-4 years and sell them. They are always in perfect condition when i sell them, and i never get what they are worth. Oh, well...

I don't think of myself as a Chrysler guy, but when i start looking I often find myself wanting a Chrysler product. I have never had a significant problem with any of them, even though ALL of them were scorned by Consumer Reports and the other automotive nannies. 1987 Lebaron Turbo sedan, 1991 LeBaron turbo coupe (H.O. VNT turbo), PT Cruiser GT turbo, Pacifica. Never a problem car, all performed great. The lousy resale value works to my advantage, overall.

The household fleet also includes a BMW, an M-B, and a Kawasaki touring cruiser. The next car will be my everyday driver.

I'm still liking that Journey.

To my mind body styling has fallen into a funk.Good things are happening u nder the hood and interior wise but there is a drab sameness to that is depressing body wise except for EU products. Picking up the Auto shopper used to be exciting like Christmas ....now dont even bother. Bet if people couldn't see the grills of most vehicles they wouldn't be able to tell you what they are .

Forum List

Back