why i am against dangerous dogs lists or banned breeds

Geezus.....folks have a hard time being objective, especially with their own breed.

That list is spot on. Every family should know about those things before getting a dog. Dalmations are the prime example. Great dogs. You take a Dalmation and make him your best friend, exercise him, talk to him, make him part of the family, he'll be a great dog. Put him on a chain, isolate him, treat him poorly, he's the worst menace you've ever seen. Of course, this can happen with lots of breeds but certain breeds have particular needs. If you don't have horses or cattle to occupy the Dalmation you had better teach that dog to play ball or something. He has high drive. Built in. Genetic. Herding/hunting type instincts. He's bred to nip at horses heels without fear. This is his genetic make up. he is predisposed to particular behavior.

Rotties are herding/guard dogs. Roman's bred these dogs to herd and protect the livestock. Again, particular characterisitcs. They have to be dealt with if you are going to try and make a pet from a working dog.

Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. they all have distinct traits they were bred for. Yes, they can be made into pets. A bicycle can be made into a motorcycle with enough work. Doesn't mean that a bike is the right thing to have if you want a motorcycle. It's the thing to have if you want to take on a project.

Sure, labs bite. Just apply the old bite test: Does it have teeth? If it does, it will bite. That's what teeth are for, you see. The thing is, you generally have to train a lab or a beagle or a bassett to bite aggressively. You have to teach it to be aggressive, the breeds are specifically bred not be so. You have to train a pit bull not to bite. He is bred to be aggressive. He is bred to bite. That was his job, the reason for his existence. A dog bred with the very idea of a strong, aggressive, powerful bite.

And Chows.....those sneaky bastards. I actually like pits and boxers, I don't like chows. Stealth biters. They bite from behind. The sneak up on you. No warning. Why? IT'S IN THEIR BLOOD. That's how they behave. Not all of them.....most of them. Typical behavior in that breed. Is it the dogs fault? Well....yes and no. It's not his fault that he was bred into that disposition but it is his nature, his genetic make up, a part of what he is. His owners aren't at fault for the dog being what it is. If it's a born biter, it's a born biter. You'll have to look a bit further up the ownership tree to find the people that made the dog that way. What is the owners fault is not knowing their breed. Too many boxer owners know that their dog is a loving, gentle member of the family. Never did see him bite or even growl. Until Jimmy's little friend came over and got mauled. I don't give a damn how friendly your pit, your boxer, you rottie is with you and yours. You can defend your breed based on how nice your dog is all day long. Fact is, he has a genetic disposition to behave a certain way. Perhaps he checks this attitude with you. You have dominted him. He will not do so with others. To expect your dog not to display his genetic characterisitcs with others is to expect everyone to be a dog handler. It just isn't so. Your dog's behavior is a one on one proposition. Each creature your dog comes into contact with has to work out it's own relationship with your dog, regardless of your dogs disposition to you. If you are there, you can control. If you are not, it is a dog eat dog world.

My lab is a sweet heart around me and people in general. But you know what? I've got enough sense to know that if I take her over to my buddies pond where the ducks are, I will have to pay for the damned ducks. She can't help it. So long as I am there, she won't make a move on the birds. Turn my back for a moment and she goes ape shit on anything with feathers. It's her nature. There is only so much you can do.

Off topic but do you think people are the same as dogs? Just wondering. :)

Yes. I do. People have genetic predispositions as well.

The difference? A little thing called civilization. Dogs have very little capacity for empathy or compassion. Perhaps some, but not much. We have a great capacity for such. That's why we don't go chasing after every other male that walks by the house. Civilization.

Thank you PJ. :)

I'd rep you but I'm tapped out.

Exactly. So long as you know what you've got and you deal with it responsibly. We have no problems with him, he's well socialized, he's a house dog.

But we're careful with him, and take no chances. I couldn't pull that dog off a kid or another dog if there was a problem. I have a bitch terrier that just harrangues him and even though he's never acted aggressively towards her, I'll only let them be together when my son is with them. When we move Snoop through the house and the kids are in, she goes into her crate until he's wherever he's going. Because SHE'S possessive, and SHE'S aggressive. And you don't want to risk having him reacting to it when there are a bunch of little kids around. Because dogs can lose their tempers, just like people. And when a dog that powerful loses his temper, someone or something is getting hurt.

Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. they all have distinct traits they were bred for. Yes, they can be made into pets. A bicycle can be made into a motorcycle with enough work. Doesn't mean that a bike is the right thing to have if you want a motorcycle. It's the thing to have if you want to take on a project

for a brief moment in time peejay i liked you .....did you miss the part where i have a doberman?

Off topic but do you think people are the same as dogs? Just wondering. :)

Yes. I do. People have genetic predispositions as well.

The difference? A little thing called civilization. Dogs have very little capacity for empathy or compassion. Perhaps some, but not much. We have a great capacity for such. That's why we don't go chasing after every other male that walks by the house. Civilization.

Thank you PJ. :)

I'd rep you but I'm tapped out.

Perhaps I could interest you in taking a moderate position in my Rep Bank?

The emerging trend is that you can invest rep with us and then in a time of need, like now, you can redeem your dividends by having other posters rep for you. It's a great investment and the turn around is fast. Had you invested yesterday, you could already be using your rep dividends. No more embarassing "I'm all out of rep moments".

Just go here and periodically invest a small amount of rep. You'll see benefits in a matter of hours.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/73980-peejays-us-rep-bank-2.html

Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. they all have distinct traits they were bred for. Yes, they can be made into pets. A bicycle can be made into a motorcycle with enough work. Doesn't mean that a bike is the right thing to have if you want a motorcycle. It's the thing to have if you want to take on a project

for a brief moment in time peejay i liked you .....did you miss the part where i have a doberman?

Yeah, I caught that. But I also caught that you are careful about the neighbors and certain situations with the dog. That's good manners for an owner.

And don't walk your damn dog without a leash. I hate it when pit owners decide to "make a point" by strolling around the neighborhood with their dogs leashless.

And don't walk your damn dog without a leash. I hate it when pit owners decide to "make a point" by strolling around the neighborhood with their dogs leashless.

Ugh. I prefer a rural setting where dogs can be leashless. But, if you're out in public, you gotta have a leash on any dog. Even the most obedient dogs have hot buttons and are prone to tear out after other critters, noises, etc. I know that there are extremely well trained animals that are probably safe. That guy with his tiger in Vegas handled his animal really well for 99.9% of his shows. That .1% was a SOB.

Some dogs within a breed actually do make good pets. My Rottie was one of them, never would hurt a fly unless it was an adult that personally threatened me. The kids could have shot me dead and she wouldn't have gone after them. But she was a special dog. Her mother tried to rip my throat out for entering my own apartment.

Big jawed dogs can do more damage than small jawed dogs, and that is all that really matters.

Problem is, most people cannot handle big dogs and therefore shouldn't own them if they have kids or live in a neighborhood with kids.

Forum List

Back