Why I am a Christian

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Gadawg73, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    I stuggle with my religon daily but recent events call my faith in:
    Dad died and I am the only child with the capability to help Mom and do all of the work. I get my strength from my friends, wife, kids and God.
    Just yesterday I returned again from Ft. Myers where Mom is. I was packing her things and helping give away to charity a lot of things. I flwe back late last night. My olderst son, age 23 has tickets Saturday to Braves game yet I need him to return with me to Fort Myers Sturday with a van toload upall of Mom's clothes and return Monday. At first he was alittle upset over missing the game with his friends Saturday but he wants to help his grandmother. Faith and confidence.
    I heard a sermon Sunday that I totally disagreed with. I thought the analogy the preacher was making was absurd.
    :eusa_angel:However, it does not change the fact that I am a follower of Christ. More so this moment than 1 minute ago.:eusa_angel:

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I believe because the Lord revealed Himself to me and gave me a choice whether to listen to Him or not. I have found through personal experience life is much better when I listen when I don't.

3. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Married 33 years to the most beautifuL woman on earth. Still drop dead gorgeous at age 52. If you have not been to Georgia and seen the ladies here you need to visit.
    Not a problem.

4. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I have to say, I love that Southern Hospitality. The guy is rude to you and you still invite him to come see for himself.

5. 8236

8236 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I envy the certainty, sorry, I mean the comfort your religious beliefs give you. Unfortunately for me I can't put the blinkers on that allow you to ignore the reality of the universe we all exist in. Virgin birth, resurrection, burning bushes (lol if only), Jonah and the whale.:cuckoo:

Still, I do wish I could live the lie. It would make me so happy.

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I believe in God. I am probably not the best Christian there is but I believe in what I believe. I don't believe every word in the Bible because some of it makes no sense to me but then again, I don't think we are meant to fully understand. Christians are not "perfect" people - Just forgiven.

7. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    What is so difficult to believe with the Virgin Birth? Scientists could recreate it in a labratory, yet an all knowing God can't do it?

I'm sure I could go on about the other stuff. But I don't think that really addresses your actual point.

I don't put blinkers on to ignore reality. Quite the opposite. I see it so much more clearly since I've learned the truth. The only difference between you and me is we have had different experiences.

But the beauty of the Plan of Happiness is that you can know for yourself. Everyone can. But the key is to seek the knowledge from a Higher source than just our reason.

How did Peter Learn that Jesus was the Messiah? It wasn't because someone proved it to him through physical evidence.

We can know from God whether He exists or not. It's only through His grace that I learned it for myself. That's the only way anyone can learn it. And once you know it, you aren't putting blinkers up, you see clearly. It truly is amazing and humbling to get a glimpse of what God can reveal to you. If you think alot of knowledge exists in the world now? You haven't seen anything yet. The Dispensation of the Fulness of God will have God revealing things not even dreamt of since the beginning of the World. Even things we haven't imagined.

It's a marvelous day to live in.

8. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I think God wants us to know as much as we are capable of knowing. But sin keeps us back from a lot of knowledge that would be otherwise available to us.

9. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    I am 1 that does not hold my religous beliefs on my sleeve but am happy at any time to share my experiences. I belong to a non denominational church that has an open door policy. We allow gays, straights, whatever and do not judge. Not saying we are right but that is what we do. We have open discussion on the Bible in many ways and respect all.
    Doctrine is not our forte. The living earth and God and Jesus is my practice.
    I do believe and have faith. Dissect the Bible and weigh each story? Yes but I try each day to be more Christlike in my path. I am not there and maybe will never get there but I am trying.

10. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,044
    I'm a Christian because I can do whatever I want in life then repent on my deathbed and get into heaven.

That's why Christianity is so awesome!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1