Why hydrogen GW???

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
George Dubbya said that he is going to have the government kick in millions to develop a car/vehicle that runs on hydrogen.. OK, not a bad idea. Anything that replaces fossil fuel should be better for the planet, and our economy right???

So,, after whacking the US involvment with alternate energy research by 90%, GW is back into the energy business. But why??? For whom??

I work about 31 miles, round trip, away from home. A hybrid would be perfect for my needs. Relative straight, level roads. Potential for regeneration on the roads I take, and traffic I encounter.. Problem is that I have to buy the car from the Japs or I have to build it myself since no vehicle is currently made here.

So,, why don't we also develop our own electric vehicles???
Somehow I get the feeling it is because with solar panels (PV electric) I could possibly cut out the gas pump completely/significantly to power my transportation vehicle. Then who would make money on me having to drive to work??? :thanks:

You're vehicle would still require energy to run. So I would imagine the supplier of the energy you use would make that money off you.

Working Man said:
George Dubbya said that he is going to have the government kick in millions to develop a car/vehicle that runs on hydrogen.. OK, not a bad idea. Anything that replaces fossil fuel should be better for the planet, and our economy right???

So,, after whacking the US involvment with alternate energy research by 90%, GW is back into the energy business. But why??? For whom??

I work about 31 miles, round trip, away from home. A hybrid would be perfect for my needs. Relative straight, level roads. Potential for regeneration on the roads I take, and traffic I encounter.. Problem is that I have to buy the car from the Japs or I have to build it myself since no vehicle is currently made here.

So,, why don't we also develop our own electric vehicles???
Somehow I get the feeling it is because with solar panels (PV electric) I could possibly cut out the gas pump completely/significantly to power my transportation vehicle. Then who would make money on me having to drive to work??? :thanks:

I believe Ford now has a hybrid vehicle.

But they never put it into production. Saw the lab/show cars in 2001 tour de sol. They were not serious about it.

theHawk said:
You're vehicle would still require energy to run. So I would imagine the supplier of the energy you use would make that money off you.

What are sources for hydrogen?? Plant matter, corn, etc?? Sounds like subsidies for the farmers again*****.. No, I don't believe that ethanol is cheaper to produce than gas either..

I feel that hydrogen may prove to have a place as an alternate energy source, but not until we have explored battery powered/assisted vehicles. I can make chargers that would power a car, and therefore not have to pay a
"fuel supplier". The sun gives us plenty of watts for free everyday. :))

*** I am honestly not anti farmer, or against subsidies to farmers who grow the food that I love. My fat ass proves that I consume many corn products, etc,, grown by working US farmers that I respect, and LOVE. The American Family farmers are OK in my book, I salute them. :salute: Even those who need, on occasion, and honest subisdy in order to keep from selling out to land developers, etc.. Their needs/effort actualy help us city folk by stabliizing the food supply.

However, the corporate farmer, who is more concerned with bottom line, and less with sound farming techniques, the environment, etc,, is not needed in my book.

Forum List

Back