Why House Republicans are rushing to slash NPR funding

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Why House Republicans are rushing to slash NPR funding - Yahoo! News

Earlier this month, conservative activists released a video purporting to show NPR fundraiser Ron Schiller calling tea partyers "seriously racist" and saying that despite potential damage to smaller stations, "Frankly, it is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding." In the subsequent outcry, Mr. Schiller left NPR and the organization's president, Vivian Schiller (no relation) resigned. (The full video, subsequently released, shows that Mr. Schiller's comments were selectively edited.)

Isn't this the type of stupid ass shit they always do? Why selectively edit anything? Any ways, these types of dumbass votes that will accomplish nothing and have no real impact is what Repugs obsess themselves with, not the real issues, I'm so sick of their fucking victimology and gripes about liberals always out to get them.

Ummmm...because we are broke? Just wait until you see the cuts they are wanting to make to our bloated defense budget! Oh, wait....

I am not worried. NPR will be sure to stand on its own two feet as an independent network. Just like Air America.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ummmm...because we are broke? Just wait until you see the cuts they are wanting to make to our bloated defense budget! Oh, wait....

We need cuts, I agree, we need to scut out the tax breaks for the wealthiest 2% of Americans for example, we need to seriously balance the tax burden, we need to cut corporate welfare, these are the cuts the Repugs should be discussing, not this symbolic bullshit to strengthen Repug Party unity. And America is not broke, if tax cuts for the rich and big businesses can be funded we are not broke because those two are getting richer, its the middle class and below thats getting broke.

Earlier this month, conservative activists released a video purporting to show NPR fundraiser Ron Schiller calling tea partyers "seriously racist" and saying that despite potential damage to smaller stations, "Frankly, it is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding." In the subsequent outcry, Mr. Schiller left NPR and the organization's president, Vivian Schiller (no relation) resigned. (The full video, subsequently released, shows that Mr. Schiller's comments were selectively edited.)

Isn't this the type of stupid ass shit they always do? Why selectively edit anything? Any ways, these types of dumbass votes that will accomplish nothing and have no real impact is what Repugs obsess themselves with, not the real issues, I'm so sick of their fucking victimology and gripes about liberals always out to get them.

So you're saying in context comments like that the tea baggers are seriously racist actually makes sense? Interesting...

Why discriminate? Every American taxpayer deserves lower taxes, especially when we have a corrupt, overbearing, overburdening government that flushes our dollars down the toilet and asks us for more so it can continue its scam. Screw the government, let them do without for awhile.

Lower fucking taxes creates more damn debt stupid, thats what got us into this shit, Bush tax cuts+ two unjustified wars + less government oversight of big business= debt ridden economy.

NPR and Public Television are both excellent. I listen and watch both quite often. I have discovered some excellent books and new music by tuning in to their programs and the Concerts on PBS are top notch by any standard. I even send in a few bucks every year to the local PBS affiliate (by buying an overpriced CD or book!). I am a fan.

They still need to be de-funded. They can either sink or swim like any other broadcast media. I will still support them as an individual who enjoys their programs - not with taxpayer dollars. NPR and PBS need to stand on their own feet and compete with other broadcast outlets. It it time to get off the dole........

So you're saying in context comments like that the tea baggers are seriously racist actually makes sense? Interesting...

There was a lot of truth to what he said and I like what he said because its the kind of shit that Democrats in office are afraid to say, but OTOH, Repugs say all kinds of stupid shit on Foxnews without fear.

Why discriminate? Every American taxpayer deserves lower taxes, especially when we have a corrupt, overbearing, overburdening government that flushes our dollars down the toilet and asks us for more so it can continue its scam. Screw the government, let them do without for awhile.

Lower fucking taxes creates more damn debt stupid, thats what got us into this shit, Bush tax cuts+ two unjustified wars + less government oversight of big business= debt ridden economy.
Spending causes debt, imbecile.

If you spend nothing, you don't go into debt even if you have nothing coming in.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
At the risk of being called a troll, there are 500,000 human beings who have lost everything, homeless and starving, there are over 15,000 missing or dead...oh... and.... there's 6 nuclear reactors on the verge of meltdown... forgive me but partisan political point scoring seems more than a tad disgusting to me.

Last edited:
Why the Fuck should American Tax payers fund NPR, a blatantly Dem Party voicebox that continuously spews leftwing fringe shit ?!?!?

If NPR is such a great network then why can't they stand on their own two feet?

Portland has an alternative community funded radio station that does quite well. I even used to be a member when they had a good classics program in the afternoon.

When I had TV, I used to like PBS a lot. They had lots of good stuff on there. Private Shultz and I Claudius being the best examples.

However, they are media, and I do not like the idea of government owning any media outlet. The government should not be allowed to tell us what we need to know, or editorialize on what we should think.

Even if NPR gave us nothing but Dr Laura, Rush and Beck, I would still think it a waste of cash and not good for the country.

NPR and Public Television are both excellent. I listen and watch both quite often. I have discovered some excellent books and new music by tuning in to their programs and the Concerts on PBS are top notch by any standard. I even send in a few bucks every year to the local PBS affiliate (by buying an overpriced CD or book!). I am a fan.

They still need to be de-funded. They can either sink or swim like any other broadcast media. I will still support them as an individual who enjoys their programs - not with taxpayer dollars. NPR and PBS need to stand on their own feet and compete with other broadcast outlets. It it time to get off the dole........

Totally agree. PBS has many fine shows that I watch.

The taxpayers shouldn't be supporting any radio or TV stations. Period.

PBS always runs fundraisers and I'm sure the public will support them as they have in the past.

As you say. Its time to kiss the Govt teat goodbye.

We need cuts, I agree, we need to scut out the tax breaks for the wealthiest 2% of Americans for example, we need to seriously balance the tax burden, we need to cut corporate welfare, these are the cuts the Repugs should be discussing, not this symbolic bullshit to strengthen Repug Party unity. And America is not broke, if tax cuts for the rich and big businesses can be funded we are not broke because those two are getting richer, its the middle class and below thats getting broke.

Got news for ya bud. The wealthiest 2% don't get tax breaks. They pay taxes. However 50% of you morons pay ZERO taxes. How bout you step up and pay some taxes before we raise taxes on anyone else. How about that?

Why are democrats so desperate to save NPR at the expense of US taxpayers? Nobody is suggesting shutting down NPR. Lefties will still be able to contribute as much as they want to support NPR. Why do they want to authorize the US government to pick my pocket to support the lifestyle of bigots who can't support themselves?

I was hoping this would at least be good, and it turns out it is something we knew days ago.

So this had nothing to do with the deficit?
"According to Congressional Budget Office (CBO) figures released Monday, the budget deficit for February hit a staggering $223 billion - meaning the Obama administration added more in debt last month than was borrowed in all of 2007"
EDITORIAL: Obama spending hits new records - Washington Times

How about this?
The GAO report estimated it identifies between $100 billion and $200 billion in duplicative spending by the govt. because of duplicate agencies.
Billions in Bloat Uncovered in Beltway - WSJ.com

And then for all the wealth envy crowd there is this:
Repealing all of those Bush tax cuts, for rich and middle class alike, gets you about $3 trillion — over ten years. The deficit is running from a third to almost half that every year. So taxing the rich (over 250 thousand a year) will not get rid of the deficit.
There Aren

Is there any reason why NPR couldn't function as PPR ( Public Public Radio)?
Keep the programming, but make the lazy fuckers go out and sell themselves.
Sell the format, sell the programming. CONVINCE someone to INVEST in the IDEA.
Isn't that what Marketing is all about?

Hell- I've donated to NPR and I'm a goddamn Republican. But it was more of a pity donation.
"Oh woe is us- we're underfunded, please help".

Fuck that. Man up, grow some balls, and compete like everyone else.

Forum List

Back