Why Healthcare Costs are Rising

There is no argument that a good portion of the increases in healthcare spending are due to new innovations and technologies that have helped extend the lives of most people. The problem is that the rate of increase is unsustainable financially. Based on the rate of growth over the last twenty years, if we continue at that same rate, we will eventually spend more than 100% of GDP on healthcare.

There is a limit as to how much a society can spend on healthcare, and we are reaching the breaking point. As costs continue to rise, we will see more and more Americans without insurance or some type of healthcare coverage. So fewer and fewer people will actually use or be able to pay for all these advances. This in turn will increase costs even more for those who can afford to pay until they can no longer afford it either. In the process, many will actually see the healtcare available to them become even more limited, and eventually we will begin regressing instead of progressing when it comes to our overall health and longevity.
Exceeding 100% of GDP is an impossibility, by definition, 100% is the maximum possible.
To actually hit 100% on health care expenditure would mean that spending on even food would have to cease to exist.

That is my point. The rising cost of healthcare is unsustainable. One way or another, it will hit a peak, and then we will ration care. The question is how do we stabalize costs and make available the best care possible for the most people possible.

Emphasize preventive and proactive medicine. Look at what Cuba is doing, With far less money available, their average life span and infant mortality rate is better than ours. And, before you wingnuts start howling, I am not endorsing their political system. But their medical system is onto something considering the results that they have been getting with far less resources.

maybe the elimination of gym classes has a big part in that....

Yup. Didn't hear much screeching about that, but we sure get an earful every time anyone suggests putting healthy food in the vending machines instead of junk.

get those kids out there running an hour a day.........

Do schools even have recess anymore? It seems to me whenever I do see a bunch of children playing in a park or even a couple of young girls drawing faces with chalk on the sidewalk, they're very happy JUST TO BE OUTDOORS.

Maggie i have asked Junky at least 4-5 times in various posts to answer questions posed.....never heard from him again UNTIL he posted elsewhere....and the same thing happened there...Midcant is another one, post something, says something outrageous,never answers ANYONE who has a disagreement with his post...NEVER....unless you agree then he will say a sentance or two....now you know why i did the TAP,TAP....i never have to do that with you though...:lol:

I know. I was teasing. I respond because I go to prior posts before any others. Some days I never get to read or post in anything new. That said, I have on occasion been accused of not IMMEDIATELY responding to someone within minutes! Unless it's a real-time banter like those that go on in the wee hours, how is that possible?

i usually will wait a good day anyway....and when i see the same poster posting elsewhere ....well then i figure ....make a statement but dont answer your critics....cause ya got nothing.....hell i ride mine out even if i get my ass handed to me...which happens...but hey i opened my yap.... i think the great majority of people here will ride their posts out....but some just vanish to appear elsewhere and do the same there....

I let them go if they get too long and the same points are being made over and over. Then it's time to move on.

Exceeding 100% of GDP is an impossibility, by definition, 100% is the maximum possible.
To actually hit 100% on health care expenditure would mean that spending on even food would have to cease to exist.

That is my point. The rising cost of healthcare is unsustainable. One way or another, it will hit a peak, and then we will ration care. The question is how do we stabalize costs and make available the best care possible for the most people possible.

Emphasize preventive and proactive medicine. Look at what Cuba is doing, With far less money available, their average life span and infant mortality rate is better than ours. And, before you wingnuts start howling, I am not endorsing their political system. But their medical system is onto something considering the results that they have been getting with far less resources.

go to the parts of the island that Michael Moore "neglected" to show you in his "NON" biased movie...

Yup. Didn't hear much screeching about that, but we sure get an earful every time anyone suggests putting healthy food in the vending machines instead of junk.

get those kids out there running an hour a day.........

Do schools even have recess anymore? It seems to me whenever I do see a bunch of children playing in a park or even a couple of young girls drawing faces with chalk on the sidewalk, they're very happy JUST TO BE OUTDOORS.

i could not tell ya Mags.....my kid is long past that time....

Maggie i have asked Junky at least 4-5 times in various posts to answer questions posed.....never heard from him again UNTIL he posted elsewhere....and the same thing happened there...Midcant is another one, post something, says something outrageous,never answers ANYONE who has a disagreement with his post...NEVER....unless you agree then he will say a sentance or two....now you know why i did the TAP,TAP....i never have to do that with you though...:lol:

I know. I was teasing. I respond because I go to prior posts before any others. Some days I never get to read or post in anything new. That said, I have on occasion been accused of not IMMEDIATELY responding to someone within minutes! Unless it's a real-time banter like those that go on in the wee hours, how is that possible?

i usually will wait a good day anyway....and when i see the same poster posting elsewhere ....well then i figure ....make a statement but dont answer your critics....cause ya got nothing.....hell i ride mine out even if i get my ass handed to me...which happens...but hey i opened my yap.... i think the great majority of people here will ride their posts out....but some just vanish to appear elsewhere and do the same there....

You wait a day so you can listen to Rush and he tells you how to respond. :lol:

You wait a day so you can listen to Rush and he tells you how to respond. :lol:

and your point is?....

I just read where you said you wait a day before replying and I imagined you probably have to listen to rush/o'reilly/hannity/savage in order to even have an opinion. :lol:

In other words, "how you doin today Harry".

hey i got the day off....that alone means its a great day....and i dont listen to none of them anymore Bo....Rush gets old after a while...O'Reilly lectures you....Hannity repeats himself...i call him the Mantra king....and Savage i only saw him once on a tv talk show....so hows the weather in Mich. today?

Cost is rising because of what doctors, hospitals and labs bill them. The problem is with the cost of health care providers and not the insurance companies who charge holders according what their care cost.

Forum List

Back