Why havent we been back to the moon since Dec 1972

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
I'm cluless.

I thought the moon landing were a first step towards colonies on themoon.......................

Like was portyared in 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)

Last edited:
I thought the moon landings had some scientific purpose and would be a stepping-stone- not some cold-war publicity stunt to show up the Soviets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cluless.

I thought the moon landing were a first step towards colonies on themoon.......................

Going back didn't fit the plan after Apollo missions. Our concentration post Apollo was scientific research in low earth orbit in space laboratories as a way of justifying the costs, while believing that would promote future endeavors from any spin-offs. The research has paid off in many indirect, even direct ways, but the public does not fully understand or appreciate that. The long range planning goal-to-goal has been lacking in how to implement an overarching master plan in space because government agencies and politicians aren't sufficiently visionary to be able to see what the best path forward is.

By accident, and forcing from budget constraints, more than intellectual pursuit, our (here in America) putting the marketplace more in command in future will remove the economic costs from national budgets, and place them more in the private sector where they should be, by all previous examples down through history.

With great risks will come great potential benefits.

Astrobotic Technology Annouces Lunar Mission on SpaceX Falcon 9
Already, SPACE-X (a privately owned corporation/company) is proposing a collaborative mission with another company Astrobotics Tech. Inc., a mission to the moon involving a robotic lander and an extended mission of exploration.

PITTSBURGH, PA – February 6, 2011 – Astrobotic Technology Inc. today announced it has signed a contract with SpaceX to launch Astrobotic’s robotic payload to the Moon on a Falcon 9. The expedition will search for water and deliver payloads, with the robot narrating its adventure while sending 3D video. The mission could launch as soon as December 2013.

The Falcon 9 upper stage will sling Astrobotic on a four-day cruise to the Moon. Astrobotic will then orbit the moon to align for landing. The spacecraft will land softly, precisely and safely using technologies pioneered by Carnegie Mellon University for guiding autonomous cars. The rover will explore for three months, operate continuously during the lunar days, and hibernate through the lunar nights. The lander will sustain payload operations with generous power and communications.
This fits the most successful model of the past: The first settlements in North America by the British were forced by competition between Britain and Spain driven by nationalism (a lot like the American/Soviet space race).

The British, not able to stand by and see Spain (and Portugal) control all of the New World, established opportunities for "stock companies" made up of private investors seeking profit and other benefits. Individuals were found who were willing to leave behind the Old World for a new one because they wanted a different life, and saw potential for personal fortune. The inducements extended down to the lowest level of individual participation, for potential wealth, land ownership, and personal freedom from coercive government.

These competitive forces will work just as well today as they did back then. Elon Musk, owner of SpaceX is investing his own personal fortune because the opportunities are real, and he and others are sufficiently visionary to form partnerships and invest in it, including a return to the moon for its obvious “inducements”

Last edited:
The future is unmanned space travel....R2D2 wins

I thought the moon landings had some scientific purpose and would be a stepping-stone- not some cold-war publicity stunt to show up the Soviets.

Combining both posts; yes, it was a political move, in a way, but within the rank and file it was the logical first/next step in answer to Sputnik. It was also the most wonderful thing we could have done. A professional "welfare" for technology whereby we could have surely done worse.

What has enraged me over all these years we did Apollo 17, and stopped. We simply stopped. Had budgeting went on, instead of such waste as Viet Nam, we all would be messaging from a base on the Moon and one on Mars by now.

Terrible waste. Sad, really.

Robert

No chance for the ordinary person to hop on a vessel and try to carve out his own niche. Extremely hostile environment and you can't tell the women from the men in a space suit.

No chance for the ordinary person to hop on a vessel and try to carve out his own niche. Extremely hostile environment and you can't tell the women from the men in a space suit.

A man's space suit has a little zip at the front so that you can nip behind a moon rock when you need to go...

I'm cluless.

Because we needed to spend that money making thousands of nuclear warheads. I thought it was obvious.

They found evidence of humanoid life forms that were clearly Liberal in their politics and their species existence ended rather predictably...So the Planet has been banned ever since feeling that the virus would spread to our civilization......

Oooooops ! It might have mutated and spread after all.Have you seen our President's friggin ears?

Why does the right wing care if we go back to the moon?

You can't even get them to go "back to school".

I'm cluless.

Because William Proxmire and the Democratic Party were anti space exploration and anti science.

Last edited:

Combining both posts; yes, it was a political move, in a way, but within the rank and file it was the logical first/next step in answer to Sputnik. It was also the most wonderful thing we could have done. A professional "welfare" for technology whereby we could have surely done worse.

What has enraged me over all these years we did Apollo 17, and stopped. We simply stopped. Had budgeting went on, instead of such waste as Viet Nam, we all would be messaging from a base on the Moon and one on Mars by now.

Terrible waste. Sad, really.

Robert

Be honest here, tell me what you, as a NASA employee, a space enthusiast, and a scientist, think of William Proxmire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back