Why have you not 'cut the cable'?

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
There is only one reason I can think of why I would want cable tv - I still have not figured out how to record sport channels on my computer. I can watch them live - but that is it.

But you can watch almost any show, any movie and definitely watch ANY sports event going on anywhere in the world...all for free (outside of the internet connection bill).

So why are people still watching cable?

...I don't watch much sports--I would watch hockey, but it wouldn't be worth it since I couldn't/wouldn't watch that many games
...I can immediately get any subject I want on YouTube/Roku/etc--
...I don't have cable
I watch a lot of old shows on YouTube/etc

There is only one reason I can think of why I would want cable tv - I still have not figured out how to record sport channels on my computer. I can watch them live - but that is it.

But you can watch almost any show, any movie and definitely watch ANY sports event going on anywhere in the world...all for free (outside of the internet connection bill).

I have and it is wonderful except I miss the repeating and all those glorious commercials...

( No I do not! )

...I don't watch much sports--I would watch hockey, but it wouldn't be worth it since I couldn't/wouldn't watch that many games
...I can immediately get any subject I want on YouTube/Roku/etc--
...I don't have cable
I watch a lot of old shows on YouTube/etc
If it's a big event that I really want to watch, I go to a sports bar.
that sounds like more fun also

The wife watches certain shows which we could get with multiple subscriptions online but that would mean our monthly outlay would be the same or more if we cut the cable, I know, I already checked. Me on the other hand am quite happy with the internet.

Cut the cable at least 12 years ago. Netflix and Amazon streaming made up the difference pretty well, with huge savings.

Recently added Hulu. Still way ahead.

If your employer paid you a living wage you'd not have a "bill" issue.

Netflix/Hulu for shows... VUDU/Fandango for movies.
Did have Amazon Prime also, but cut that out as well...they kept diminishing more and more music and movies trying to get you to pay more for "Premium Prime"... well f*ck that.

Sort of on topic... I am afraid Netflix is going to get bought by someone like Apple or Warner, probably only Apple has the kind of cash to make it happen. Especially now that Netflix is making more and more original content that is damn good. They are such an amazing deal compared to anyone else. It isn't even close.
They are ripe for a buy out.

I returned cable boxes and the rented modem about six months ago. Not only do you save money on the ridiculous fees, you only have to see commercials on You Tube and the electric bill goes down since cable boxes are literally like personal computers in terms of energy usage. Currently just use DVDs and Amazon Prime and used the savings for the "faster" internet option which works fine with my new Netgear modem. What is scary is democrat Governor Lamont of Connecticut is looking for a way to tax internet downloads or streaming vid services to deal with the fact the democrats cannot balance the books.

Forum List

Back