Why Have Unwanted Pregnancies Increased After The Advent of The Birth Control Pill?

Obviously bad kids, criminals, drug addicts and drop-outs are usually not blessings. Children need to be wanted, loved and cared-for in order to be an asset to themselves and the world in which they live. Unwanted pregnancies often lead to children that drain resources instead of producing resources (welfare, prisons, courts, criminal activity, etc).

Exactly. And that's why abortion needs to be part of the equation.

Love is the answer, not murder. Pro-lifers prefer to offer love. Pro abortioners prefer to offer death.

Bullshit. They offer platitudes and lies. The minute that child hits the planet in female form, she loses all her rights (as far as They are concerned).

Libertarians and social conservatives believe that men are tricked and therefore have no responsibility.

I can't believe the libertarians pining for the good ole days when girls were chaste and men did the right thing

Kids still had hormones, girls still got pregnant. In the good ole days shame was the best way to handle pregnancy. Shame them enough and other girls will know better. Let them sneak off for an abortion. Let them go away to give birth alone so nobody knows

Otherwise, enter a loveless marriage where neither one of you is ready or willing to raise a family.

Yes...the good ole days

There was much less crime and much fewer drop-outs in the "good ole days". The generation that came of age in the 40's is known as "the greatest generation".

No question they were the greatest generation. But not because of their crime rate or graduation rates. High school graduation was a big deal in the 40s. Many just finished grade school and went to work.
Our murder rate and violent crime rates are low. The only reason our crime rate is higher is because of our stupid drug laws

I can't believe the libertarians pining for the good ole days when girls were chaste and men did the right thing

Kids still had hormones, girls still got pregnant. In the good ole days shame was the best way to handle pregnancy. Shame them enough and other girls will know better. Let them sneak off for an abortion. Let them go away to give birth alone so nobody knows

Otherwise, enter a loveless marriage where neither one of you is ready or willing to raise a family.

Yes...the good ole days

There was much less crime and much fewer drop-outs in the "good ole days". The generation that came of age in the 40's is known as "the greatest generation".

No question they were the greatest generation. But not because of their crime rate or graduation rates. High school graduation was a big deal in the 40s. Many just finished grade school and went to work.
Our murder rate and violent crime rates are low. The only reason our crime rate is higher is because of our stupid drug laws

There are more drug addicts today than in the 40's. Drug addiction is usually the result of a confused or abusive childhood. Most all drug addicts are messed up psychologically before they ever took their first drug.

There are more drug addicts today than in the 40's. Drug addiction is usually the result of a confused or abusive childhood. Most all drug addicts are messed up psychologically before they ever took their first drug.

Reefer Madness?

That or the girl was whisked off to another state and the baby was given up for adoption.

Don't you believe that putting an unwanted infant up for adoption is a responsible option?

It's an option, no more or less responsible than aborting or keeping.

BDBoop, You can't be serious. Aren't you glad that your mother didn't abort you or your sister. Abortion is a horrible option for the child. It should only be used as a very last resort.

BDBoop, I am glad that you mother did not abort you. I very much enjoy the friendly banter with you.

Last edited:
Eugenics in the United States
Eugenics was practiced in the United States many years before eugenics programs in Nazi Germany and actually, U.S. programs provided much of the inspiration for the latter. Stefan Kühl has documented the consensus between Nazi race policies and those of eugenicists in other countries, including the United States, and points out that eugenecists understood Nazi policies and measures as the realization of their goals and demands.

The first state to introduce a compulsory sterilization bill was Michigan, in 1897 but the proposed law failed to garner enough votes by legislators to be adopted. Eight years later Pennsylvania's state legislators passed a sterilization bill that was vetoed by the governor. Indiana became the first state to enact sterilization legislation in 1907, followed closely by Washington and California in 1909. Sterilization rates across the country were relatively low (California being the sole exception) until the 1927 Supreme Court case Buck v. Bell which legitimized the forced sterilization of patients at a Virginia home for the mentally retarded. The number of sterilizations performed per year increased until another Supreme Court case, Skinner v. Oklahoma, 1942, complicated the legal situation by ruling against sterilization of criminals if the equal protection clause of the constitution was violated. That is, if sterilization was to be performed, then it could not exempt white-collar criminals. The state of California was at the vanguard of the American eugenics movement, performing about 20,000 sterilizations or one third of the 60,000 nationwide from 1909 up until the 1960s.

While Califorina had the highest number of sterilizations, North Carolina's eugenics program which operated from 1933 to 1977, was the most aggressive of the 32 states that had eugenics programs

Don't you believe that putting an unwanted infant up for adoption is a responsible option?

BDBoop, You can't be serious. Aren't you glad that your mother didn't abort you or your sister. Abortion is a horrible option for the child. It should only be used as a very last resort.

BDBoop, I am glad that you mother did not abort you. I very much enjoy the friendly banter with you.

No, I'm not glad. We'd have damn near killed for a 'get out of jail free' card.

Reefer Madness?

I'm talking about hard drugs like cocaine, heroine, meth, and abused prescription medication.

I think the biggest problem with your argument is you attribute unwanted pregnancies to more people having sex.

Aren't there numerous factors, for example economically, that would make having a child more daunting and therefore less wanted?

No, I'm not glad. We'd have damn near killed for a 'get out of jail free' card.

:(

I think the biggest problem with your argument is you attribute unwanted pregnancies to more people having sex.

Aren't there numerous factors, for example economically, that would make having a child more daunting and therefore less wanted?

I agree. The government subsidizes bastard children with welfare, WIC, food stamps, etc. When you subsidize a behavior, you get more of it. Most fathers rise to the occasion when they have to.

Last edited:
Simple answer to what question? The question is: Why have unwanted pregnancies increased since the advent of the birth control pill?

The answer is:

Because most men assume that the woman is on the pill and don't wear a condom.

How hard was that to understand?

Does the man bear all of the responsibility?

You seem to agree with the premise of my original post. The birth control pill HAS led to the increase in unwanted pregnancies.

I did not say men bear all of the responsibility. In my opinion you do seem to feel that women bear all responsibility.

No, i do not agree with you at all.

Unwanted pregnancies haven't increased

What used to happen was if you got pregnant you rushed off to get married. Instead of an unwanted pregnancy you had unwanted marriages

That or the girl was whisked off to another state and the baby was given up for adoption.

i think abortion is the responsible option.

Didn't you just say we have more bastard children than ever because of the pill? are those bastards a blessing too, or only if they come from good homes?

Unwanted children often grow up with psychological problems that cause them to quit school, get involved with crime, drugs and produce more bastard children themselves.. Children born within the context of marriage have a much, much greater chance of leading a happy, successful and loving life.

Really? My mom was married, and three out of her four children were unwanted. Did you really think that one cancelled out the other?

And how old are you? I would guess about 61. Most women giving birth at your time had zero choice when it came to having babies or not.

Unwanted children often grow up with psychological problems that cause them to quit school, get involved with crime, drugs and produce more bastard children themselves.. Children born within the context of marriage have a much, much greater chance of leading a happy, successful and loving life.

Really? My mom was married, and three out of her four children were unwanted. Did you really think that one cancelled out the other?

And how old are you? I would guess about 61. Most women giving birth at your time had zero choice when it came to having babies or not.

54 next month. So the last one was born three years before Roe v Wade, and seven years after her last child.

54 next month. So the last one was born three years before Roe v Wade, and seven years after her last child.

well shit...i quoted the wrong person. I was not asking you how old you were boop....but was asking gray. Sorry hun.

GRAY... how the hell old are you?

well shit...i quoted the wrong person. I was not asking you how old you were boop....but was asking gray. Sorry hun.

GRAY... how the hell old are you?

Oh!! Well then. ::cough:: I'm 34.

Forum List

Back