Why have people lost interest in space?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Both in real life and in a fictional setting. We used to have TV shows like Babylon 5 in the 90s and BSG in the 2000s. Space exploration was all the rage in 50s and 60s America.

What happened? Have we become too cynical? Too anti intellectual?

The Expanse would probably reach a larger audience if it was on HBO but I am thankful for Amazon saving it.

There is also a large mainstream that doesn't watch fiction TV. There is a channel in my area that is home to both the most popular reality show and the local news. Imagine if the government funded the creation of a one season or one episode miniseries set in the future aimed at getting the mainstream excited for the future and space to be put on that channel. Would it have to be filled with political intrigue and space battles? How would the mainstream react to an optimistic future on their screens?

There has been a ton of sci fi coming out, both Star Wars and Star Trek series has seen a successful resurgence. Marvel movies have now ventured into plots of multiple worlds. Avatar 2 was just announced for 2021, and there has been a multitude of movies and series thru Netflix including Mars. All those geeks dressed in costume at those sci fi conventions clearly shows many are fascinated with the fantasy of a galactic future.
The general public is bored with the space program as we mostly are launching low orbit missions. Yet they are happy to reap the benefits of global communications. Until a Mars mission or the discovery of some new form of achieving massive velocities, the public will mostly be checked out short of the occasional probe success. Our technology currently doesn't match our wishes.

Aviation too is lacking in interest from today's youth. Most of the air shows are simply drying up for lack of interest and attendance. In my day almost every boy wanted to be a fighter pilot at one point or another. Pretty soon there'll be no pilots at all. Today's youth are simply devoid of skills or even ambition of any kind. Along with being neutered they're brain dead too.

This year, when asked what they want to be when they grow up, more American kids chose Youtuber than Astronaut.

Half the people are anti-intellectual, the other half have become cynical because of that first half.

Damn. Science wonders why people are no longer interested in science and the local USMB gurus just want to point to people being "anti-intellectual". Are you guys really that clueless? What happens when you lower the IQ's throughout and damage brain neurons in multiple generations? Think!!!! And get some fucking common sense while your at it. And you ain't seen nothing yet after all these Hep vaccinated babies come of age who are also being exposed to Glyphosate and Benzalkonium and all sorts of other money makers for few throughout it will be much worse.

neurogal — Myth or Fact: Is Fluoride Toxic to the Brain?

Effect of fluoridated water on intelligence in 10-12-year-old school children

Motor palsies of cranial nerves (excluding VII) after vaccination: Reports to the US Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System

https://www.rainbow.coop/library/roundup-glyphosate-and-nerve-damage/

Myenteric Denervation of the Gut with Benzalkonium Chloride: A Review of Forty Years of an Experimental Model

Aviation too is lacking in interest from today's youth. Most of the air shows are simply drying up for lack of interest and attendance. In my day almost every boy wanted to be a fighter pilot at one point or another. Pretty soon there'll be no pilots at all. Today's youth are simply devoid of skills or even ambition of any kind. Along with being neutered they're brain dead too.
Tomorrows cutting edge pilots, will be today's gamer nerds...

Both in real life and in a fictional setting. We used to have TV shows like Babylon 5 in the 90s and BSG in the 2000s. Space exploration was all the rage in 50s and 60s America.

The Expanse would probably reach a larger audience if it was on HBO but I am thankful for Amazon saving it.

There is also a large mainstream that doesn't watch fiction TV. There is a channel in my area that is home to both the most popular reality show and the local news. Imagine if the government funded the creation of a one season or one episode miniseries set in the future aimed at getting the mainstream excited for the future and space to be put on that channel. Would it have to be filled with political intrigue and space battles? How would the mainstream react to an optimistic future on their screens?

Because cyberspace is the new frontier?

I think they should take the advice of JFK and go to the moon some day.
All the world's a stage

00MOON-HOAX1-jumbo.jpg

Demographic change is having a massive effect on entertainment media. Blacks and browns just don't care too much for sci-fi.

Always been a fan of our space program. Have read several books by various astronauts from the original Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, the Space Shuttle, Skylab, etc., etc., but the make-believe TV and movie stuff about space a la StarTrek, Star Wars has never interested me. Guess it’s the acting stuff vs. real life where incredibly brave people are willing to put their nuts on the line strapping onto a potential gigantic bomb if the stuff should hit the fan during liftoff, followed by thousands of other life threatening potentials until thery’re back on terra firma again.

Looking forward to a new Moon program and onward and outward towards Mars and beyond...

Tomorrows cutting edge pilots, will be today's gamer nerds...

As someone who learned to fly the panel first, I understand your point but I also know that there is no replacement for having your ass in the seat of a cockpit. While I was indeed flying the panel, that panel was attached to a real airplane in flight.

People are still interested in space but congress is interested only in overthrowing the results of the last election. It's interesting to note that the moon landing took place during the Nixon administration but the media only talks about JFK.

Forum List

Back