Why have people come to believe health care is a "right" when it actually isn't?

The government is suppose to provide for my welfare? And all this time I've been taking on that responsibility myself, how foolish of me!

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Any questions?

Yes. What the hell does that have to do with the topic?

I'm sorry. I thought the topic was "Why have people come to believe health care is a "right" when it actually isn't?"

Did I miss something?

The U.S. Constitution is not a "divine gift". It is a formal agreement between amongst its people. One of those agreements is that the government has an obligation, both legally, and morally to provide for the welfare of the people. Without such an agreement, a free people cannot long survive.

The government is suppose to provide for my welfare? And all this time I've been taking on that responsibility myself, how foolish of me!

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Any questions?

"Promote" = "Provide"?

Any questions?

"Promote" = "Provide"?

"The equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government. Modern times have the signal advantage, too, of having discovered the only device by which these rights can be secured, to wit: government by the people, acting not in person, but by representatives chosen by themselves, that is to say, by every man of ripe years and sane mind, who contributes either by his purse or person to the support of his country." --Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823. ME 15:482

"I willingly acquiesce in the institutions of my country, perfect or imperfect, and think it a duty to leave their modifications to those who are to live under them and are to participate of the good or evil they may produce. The present generation has the same right of self-government which the past one has exercised for itself." --Thomas Jefferson to John Hampden Pleasants, 1824. ME 16:29

"What is true of every member of the society, individually, is true of them all collectively; since the rights of the whole can be no more than the sum of the rights of the individuals." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1789. ME 7:455, Papers 15:393

"To unequal privileges among members of the same society the spirit of our nation is, with one accord, adverse." --Thomas Jefferson to Hugh White, 1801. ME 10:258

"The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson: Note in Destutt de Tracy, "Political Economy," 1816. ME 14:465

Any questions?

"Promote" = "Provide"?

I stand corrected. The word I meant to use was "promote".

Any questions?

"Promote" = "Provide"?

"The equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government. Modern times have the signal advantage, too, of having discovered the only device by which these rights can be secured, to wit: government by the people, acting not in person, but by representatives chosen by themselves, that is to say, by every man of ripe years and sane mind, who contributes either by his purse or person to the support of his country." --Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823. ME 15:482

"I willingly acquiesce in the institutions of my country, perfect or imperfect, and think it a duty to leave their modifications to those who are to live under them and are to participate of the good or evil they may produce. The present generation has the same right of self-government which the past one has exercised for itself." --Thomas Jefferson to John Hampden Pleasants, 1824. ME 16:29

"What is true of every member of the society, individually, is true of them all collectively; since the rights of the whole can be no more than the sum of the rights of the individuals." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1789. ME 7:455, Papers 15:393

"To unequal privileges among members of the same society the spirit of our nation is, with one accord, adverse." --Thomas Jefferson to Hugh White, 1801. ME 10:258

"The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson: Note in Destutt de Tracy, "Political Economy," 1816. ME 14:465

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

John F. Kennedy

"Promote" = "Provide"?

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

John F. Kennedy

What did JFK mean when he spoke those words?

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
President John F. Kennedy

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"
President John F. Kennedy

The U.S. Constitution is not a "divine gift". It is a formal agreement between amongst its people. One of those agreements is that the government has an obligation, both legally, and morally to provide for the welfare of the people. Without such an agreement, a free people cannot long survive.

Any questions?

Where does it say the government is supposed to PROVIDE the general Welfare? I just see "promote", which means that in the end, we're supposed to provide it for ourselves.

I'm sure that's all very nice, but our rights don't belong to us from the US Constitution.

Really? Because as I recall from history, we didn't have many of those rights until we decided to give it to ourselves via this legally binding agreement. You seem to think our rights somehow appeared out of thin air. Reality doesn't work that way.

You confuse having rights with having them respected. People with Leftist Derangement Syndrome often make this mistake.

Even those who actually wrote the Constitution will tell you that we didn't "give them to ourselves" by that document, but merely restrained the government from infringing on rights which we already had.

Read, and contemplate.

http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/history/natural-rights.html

Last edited:

Forum List

Back