Why have government recognize marriage?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by mattskramer, May 23, 2008.

1. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    The following is my perspective alone. I did not copy it from anyone or from any web site. It is my own creation but feel free to share it.

Why does government give special rights and privileges to married people that they don’t give to single people? It is because married people supposedly benefit society. Yet, don’t couples benefit society. Some people argue that children provide a benefit to society. Assuming that such is the case, why does it matter whether or not the parents are formally recognized as married? Can’t they simply be a couple that perhaps lives together? Does a special piece of paper (a marriage license / certificate) really mean anything? Conservatives say that it does make a difference.

Why are girlfriends so eager to get married to their boyfriends after they have been together as a couple for so long? Why not continue to live together (in sin according to some people) and not bother with getting married. Could it be that there is a notion of commitment in having a government-recognized marriage?

Bingo! The very same thing may be given as an argument for gay marriage. Some argue that gay couples to not offer any benefit to society. I beg to differ. They provide for a loving home and a place for rising children. What children?!? It would be a place for rising children that were abandoned and surrendered by heterosexuals who failed to stay committed to each other and to the family that they seemed to be creating. Just as government approved marriages for heterosexual couples influence commitment and dedication (ask those impatient women holding on to their boyfriends) government approved marriage for gay couples may influence commitment and dedication. In both cases, it may reduce the likelihood of promiscuity and the spread of STD.

It is just something to think about.

2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,023
    Yes, it is something to think about....

You see, marriage was not something the government created to make couples commit to eachother....marriage already existed, it was just something to tax through gvt licenses required and a way to keep track of their female citizens who lost their maiden names when marrying, I would suppose...

The tax write off's for kids came much later and are still being created daily, as we speak it seems, another child tax credit is being devised.....but these do not discriminate against singles with Children, I don't believe?

Care

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Marriage is a legal construct because the state of matrimony conveys certain rights...property rights; inheritance rights; etc...

the whole bit about marriage being some type of holy union or function of love is a relatively recent invention. it has always been an economic arrangement. that's why arranged marriages occur in certain societies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,266
    Married couples buy houses, multiple cars, go on vacations, have kids and buy diapers and formula, etc.

Not that single people don't do those things too, but the family structure is one that keeps the economic wheels turning and the market balanced and thriving.

I have no problem with government offering incentive for stability.

Where I part ways, is when government feels compelled to legislate mandates based on it. It's no business of the government's who one chooses to marry. I don't agree with homosexuality, but who am I to tell someone they can't partake in it? I don't have to be affected by it if I simply ignore it and worry about my OWN life. And gay couples offer the same thing to the economy as straight couples. The same things I mentioned above.

If homosexuality is really killing our society, then people are already too far gone emotionally anyway. Nothing has to bother you personally, that you can simply ignore.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    There are stimuli for marriage outside of those having to do with children. According to a report given to the Office of the General Counsel of the U.S. General Accounting Office, here are a few of the 1,138 benefits the United States government provides to legally married couples:

Access to Military Stores
    Assumption of Spouse’s Pension
    Bereavement Leave
    Immigration
    Insurance Breaks
    Medical Decisions on Behalf of Partner
    Sick Leave to Care for Partner
    Social Security Survivor Benefits
    Tax Breaks
    Veteran’s Discounts
    Visitation of Partner in Hospital or Prison

Here are a few of the state level benefits within the United States:

Assumption of Spouse’s Pension
    Automatic Inheritance
    Automatic Housing Lease Transfer
    Bereavement Leave
    Burial Determination
    Child Custody
    Crime Victim’s Recovery Benefits
    Divorce Protections
    Domestic Violence Protection
    Exemption from Property Tax on Partner’s Death
    Immunity from Testifying Against Spouse
    Insurance Breaks
    Joint Adoption and Foster Care
    Joint Bankruptcy
    Joint Parenting (Insurance Coverage, School Records)
    Medical Decisions on Behalf of Partner
    Certain Property Rights
    Reduced Rate Memberships
    Sick Leave to Care for Partner
    Visitation of Partner’s Children
    Visitation of Partner in Hospital or Prison
    Wrongful Death (Loss of Consort) Benefits

Not if it involves couples of the same sex.

Would breaks-ups be more likely if there were no formal government-recognized marriages? If not, then why do people want to get married? If a piece of paper makes so little difference, why have it?

6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,023
    well, matt....YOU did not say this the first time around....you implied that same sex couples wanted their commitment to be accepted....and implied that it took a gvt legal marriage to make these guys really commit to eachother in a loving manner, and that it would even reduce std's etc.....

this is what i responded to....

i did not know you wanted to focus on the monitary and other benefits by your original post! ;)

care

7. Zoomie1980

Zoomie1980 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Pretty much accurate. Marriage in an emotional context is a fairly modern contrivance. Gay couples (my sister and partner are one...) can gain mostly the same level of legal protections under marriage, but it takes a lot of work and numerous legal instruments to get there, especially in a conservative state like Texas. Marriage is simply a convenient way to COMBINE all these instruments under one single umbrella.

Government has no business being involved in the moral arena. That's for religion. Simple civil unions is all government should have a vested interest in. Let the religious folks squabble about what is and is not "marriage".

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters!

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    I too have come to this conclusion. Government should just issue civil Union certificates. Move all the legal Mumbo Jumbo to that. Let religion decide who to " marry" No more squabble over marriage and who can and can not. No more worry about one State refusing to recognize the legal documents of another.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Exactly.

But about that not recognizing legal documents issue, this really shouldn't be an issue because of:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleiv.html

So once churches/synagogues/mosques, etc, can marry or not marry who they want and the state does he civil unions, I don't see any problems.... but that means this really has to stop being made an electoral issue.