Why have casualties gone down since the world wars

Because there haven't been any real wars in the true sense since then. I figured the answer would be obvious.

One interesting note: During the early days after the Invasion of Iraq, Soldiers and Medics and Marines and Corpsmen did not have tourniquets issued as part of their first aid kits. Grunts were bleeding to death before reaching tertiary care. Finally some smart guy ordered them to be issued and the mortality rate dropped immediately.

Just FYI. I was an Army medic in Vietnam. There may have been some, but I never knew a combat medic that carried an issue aid bag. The issue bag had a big red on white cross on it that was many times more hazardous to your health than smoking. We used cravats for our turniquets which also can serve a host of other functions and work as well as any purpose-made tourniquet I've run into.

Yeah, the red cross bag and arm band went away decades ago. I'm not sure what the Army is doing but Corpsmen are deploying with issued MOLLE bags which can be packed according to individual and mission dependent needs. The Marines each carry an individual first aid kit packed with lots of good stuff to include QuickClot and a tourniquet. They still carry cravats of course due to the versitility as you mentioned.

even Korea andNam casualties were light compared to.

wars since then they are practically non-existent by comparison

poorer weapons???????????????????????????????

Let'see, they called it WORLD WAR 2 because there was killing in almost every corner of the world. The fighting in Korea was just as vicious but the theater of operations was confined to ...Korea and the theater of operations in LBJ's war was confined to South East Asia but mostly VietNam. We can add that life was cheap, leadership was sometimes lacking and the government made sure there was no criticism by the media during WW2. MacArthur abandoned an entire Army to capture and torture and was awarded the MOH. Who would have thought that the intelligence could have been so bad that we lost 6,000 Marines on a stinking island that we could have bypassed four months before the end of the war? Generations of Americans learned about the uncommon valor of the Marines but very little about the slipshod planning, callus attitude of Navy leadership and most of all the sneaky mission change after Marine casualties became evident.

Let'see, they called it WORLD WAR 2 because there was killing in almost every corner of the world. The fighting in Korea was just as vicious but the theater of operations was confined to ...Korea and the theater of operations in LBJ's war was confined to South East Asia but mostly VietNam. We can add that life was cheap, leadership was sometimes lacking and the government made sure there was no criticism by the media during WW2. MacArthur abandoned an entire Army to capture and torture and was awarded the MOH. Who would have thought that the intelligence could have been so bad that we lost 6,000 Marines on a stinking island that we could have bypassed four months before the end of the war? Generations of Americans learned about the uncommon valor of the Marines but very little about the slipshod planning, callus attitude of Navy leadership and most of all the sneaky mission change after Marine casualties became evident.

If you are referring to Guadalcanal I think the navy lost more in that operation than both army and Marine corps.

Nuclear weapons! The only wars fought now are against non nuclear powers who don't stand a chance against our conventional weapons, and thus, must use gurella style tactics at a lower casualty rate.

I'll support the best answer by repeating it.

People die less because we are fighting absolute nobodies. That in combination with the fact that other countries use to step in and pick sides, making for a world war, while now...We are a part of the growing in strength UN. If you do step in, a world war is exactly what it will be. So, we have our way with people...no questions asked, no one to interfere...or else.

They only need enough casualties to keep the flags waving on both sides.
Don't you understand business ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVq1hhTOdA0]What some Retarded Americans think of Muslims - YouTube[/ame]

The reason casualties are low is because we kicked the worlds ass twice. Now our enemies have a harder time finding allies.

The wars since the 2 world wars have been boring.

Wish I had lived those days.
Why do we send young men to die when they have their whole lives ahead of them? We should send 70 year olds to the front lines. And these guys caught in Viet Nam so they don't even have to be trained.

Doesn't make sense 70 year old men send 20 year olds off to die

The wars since the 2 world wars have been boring.

Wish I had lived those days.
Why do we send young men to die when they have their whole lives ahead of them? We should send 70 year olds to the front lines. And these guys caught in Viet Nam so they don't even have to be trained.

Doesn't make sense 70 year old men send 20 year olds off to die

Hey! Great idea! Just issue me an assault walker and I'll be good to go!
Mechanized potty chairs will give "grunts" a whole new meaning.

When the U.S. and its allies attack third-world nations whose forces amount to modestly armed individuals, you can expect light casualties on our side.

Forum List

Back