Why have casualties gone down since the world wars

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
even Korea andNam casualties were light compared to.

wars since then they are practically non-existent by comparison

poorer weapons???????????????????????????????

The wars since the 2 world wars have been boring.

Wish I had lived those days.

Wars today are not between the great powers.

Thats the main reason they are so boring.

"Wish I had lived those days."

You probably aren't the only one who wishes you had lived back then.

Better weapons, better communications, more overwhelming US power, better evacuation, better medical care

Wars today are not between the great powers.

Thats the main reason they are so boring.

If it means less dead US troops and quicker resolutions to conflicts..I'll go with boring any day of the week.

ginscpy is a sick fuck, he would love a US/China war as long as he can watch it over the big screen and beat off his shrimp cock.:mad:

The helicopter.

And those who flew them! God bless the pilots and crews who flew into fire over and over to get us off hot LZs. A lot of our wounded (and a lot more of the rest of us) would not be alive, if it were not for those men, who suffered a higher casualty rate in Vietnam than even us grunts.:salute:

Most of the aforementioned are reasons for decreased casualties on the modern battlefield. Medical units have the ability to trace the path of the ground combat elements to be closer to the fight. That combined with super fast casualty evacuation and top-notch surgeons and equipment has Soldiers and Marines living where they might have once died. There is a long way to go in the battle against the road-side bomb and IED. There is nothing more heart breaking than to see young men and women wheeling around Walter Reed with no legs and some with legs or arms. Fortunately for all citizens, the surgical techniques and technologies developed on the battlefield translate well to the civilian operating room. The skills and equipment benefit many people here at home.

One interesting note: During the early days after the Invasion of Iraq, Soldiers and Medics and Marines and Corpsmen did not have tourniquets issued as part of their first aid kits. Grunts were bleeding to death before reaching tertiary care. Finally some smart guy ordered them to be issued and the mortality rate dropped immediately.

Last edited:
As for you, ginscpy, if you wouldn't have endangered everyone around you with your ineptitude, I would have loved to have had you along in a few firefights in Vietnam. Somehow I don't think you would have found the experience "boring".

The helicopter.

And those who flew them! God bless the pilots and crews who flew into fire over and over to get us off hot LZs. A lot of our wounded (and a lot more of the rest of us) would not be alive, if it were not for those men, who suffered a higher casualty rate in Vietnam than even us grunts.:salute:

Indeed a bunch of brave men and now women. A friend of my daughter's is now a Blackhawk pilot and has done a couple of ME deployments. She was the quietest kid ever and kind of small and meek. She commissioned through ROTC and was selected for aviation. I'm amazed every time I think of her, her training, and the skills it takes to fly one of those beasts.

Why have casualties gone down since World War Two?

It depends on what side you are on. The United States has had plenty of practice since that time in the art of killing others and preserving the life of it's own.

In Vietnam it is estimated we killed over a million people, losing only around 58,000 ourselves. In the latest war on terror, which includes Afghanistan and Iraq, it is calculated we have killed directly or indirectly as a result of American action 200,000 people. In turn, we have lost a little over 6,000.

We have become very good in the art of killing.

Last edited:
One interesting note: During the early days after the Invasion of Iraq, Soldiers and Medics and Marines and Corpsmen did not have tourniquets issued as part of their first aid kits. Grunts were bleeding to death before reaching tertiary care. Finally some smart guy ordered them to be issued and the mortality rate dropped immediately.

Just FYI. I was an Army medic in Vietnam. There may have been some, but I never knew a combat medic that carried an issue aid bag. The issue bag had a big red on white cross on it that was many times more hazardous to your health than smoking. We used cravats for our turniquets which also can serve a host of other functions and work as well as any purpose-made tourniquet I've run into.

Forum List

Back