Why hate the responsible government movement?

Really whats wrong with one state having a religion like massachusetts and another not ,like Utah?
Forbidden by the US Constitution.
Really?
are you that stupid?

Article III. [As the happiness of a people, and the good order and preservation of civil government, essentially depend upon piety, religion and morality; and as these cannot be generally diffused through a community, but by the institution of the public worship of God, and of public instructions in piety, religion and morality: Therefore, to promote their happiness and to secure the good order and preservation of their government, the people of this commonwealth have a right to invest their legislature with power to authorize and require, and the legislature shall, from time to time, authorize and require, the several towns, parishes, precincts, and other bodies politic, or religious societies, to make suitable provision, at their own expense, for the institution of the public worship of God, and for the support and maintenance of public Protestant teachers of piety, religion and morality, in all cases where such provision shall not be made voluntarily.

Massachusetts Constitution

Yes yes I am.

What is the official religion of Massachusetts then?

Everson v Board (330 US 1 [1947])
The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever from they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between Church and State.'

DO you honestly believe that the states have official religions? Proof please. BTW Protestant DOES NOT COUNT as it is a group of religions not a religion.

So lets drop the BS about States Rights being a code for racism.

Darkwind,

It has been so in the past. It has also been a popular rally cry for dominionists.

I'm all for State's Rights. I do not believe that even half of the entitlement programs are Constitutional. At best, they should be administered and ran at the State Level.

I want to see specifics. If you're using State's Rights to argue that Indiana should be able to declare the United Methodists a State sanctioned official Church, then that needs to be stopped. If you want to use State's Rights to try to roll back the Voting Rights Acts, that needs to be stopped.

If you want the Federal government out of the entitlement business, then we have common ground.
Nothing you showed in this reply has anything to do with racism or bigotry.

Oh, and were you aware that each of the original 13 colonies had an official religion before and after the ratification of the Constitution?

Where you also aware that the Constitution says nothing about states not having the right to institute a state religion? That the only reason that the States do not have state sanctioned religion is because over time, the people have written it into their individual State Constitution. I personally don't believe in state sanctioned religions. But I want a return to sensibility as well. If a teacher is asked to lead a prayer and does so, that does not constitution a state religion. It is simple, common sense.

Forum List

Back