Why hate crime laws are stupid

Then there was the 2002 case of Mark Harding, a man who committed the unpardonable sin of distributing pamphlets in which he was critical of Islam. A Canadian court sentenced Harding to two years probation and community service under the direction of one Mohammad Ashraf, general secretary of the Islamic Society of North America. His service involved being indoctrinated with Islamic ideas by Ashraf, who emphasized that if Harding said anything negative about Islam or its Prophet Muhammad or failed to follow Ashraf’s instructions, he would be sent back to prison.

:eek:

from another forum:

What happens if when you decide to rob someone because of their skin color? Hate crime or greed crime.

I guess the moral of the story is this: If you're going to commit a hate crime, be sure to steal their wallet.

;)

:thup:

Oh man, this is an awesome article! The article represents my viewpoint exactly! The article is so perfect and is incapable of being flawed in any way! Oh man! Oh man! Oh man! :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

You guys forget that there actually are hate crimes such as hanging a person or dragging a person behind a truck just because they are black or gay. Or robbing a person or destroying their property just because they are another ethnicity. Nobody's trying to control people's thoughts. People can still be as ignorantly racist as they want to be. They just can't bring physical or monetary harm to anybody because of it.

If we prosecute sex-related crimes differently than we do other types of crime, why wouldn't we prosecute hate crimes differently too? Not all crime is the same (*see - not everything is black and white) so we have to do something called "differentiate" between different types of crimes based on the differences between them.:eek:

Hagbard Celine said:
Oh man, this is an awesome article! The article represents my viewpoint exactly! The article is so perfect and is incapable of being flawed in any way! Oh man! Oh man! Oh man! :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

You guys forget that there actually are hate crimes such as hanging a person or dragging a person behind a truck just because they are black or gay. Or robbing a person or destroying their property just because they are another ethnicity. Nobody's trying to control people's thoughts. People can still be as ignorantly racist as they want to be. They just can't bring physical or monetary harm to anybody because of it.

If we prosecute sex-related crimes differently than we do other types of crime, why wouldn't we prosecute hate crimes differently too? Not all crime is the same (*see - not everything is black and white) so we have to do something called "differentiate" between different types of crimes based on the differences between them.:eek:

The argument is, why not just prosecute the person for hanging someone, or dragging them behind a truck?

Hagbard Celine said:

Yer FULL of SHIT kid. :eek:

The ClayTaurus said:
The argument is, why not just prosecute the person for hanging someone, or dragging them behind a truck?
What, does "motive" not figure into prosecution anymore? A motive of hate represents a possible danger to others in the same racial/ethnic category as the victim. Plus it is an especially despicable reason for harming someone, more despicable than just about anything else besides lust or cannibalism. Motive is extremely important in determining sentencing. A murderer who murdered by accident or for money is completely different from a murderer who purposefully hunted down a specific type of person for the sole purpose of torturing or murdering them because they were a certain race. Murder is terrible, but there are different degrees to it that make one type of murder different and worse than another type. Hate crime borders on what serial killers do in my book.

Hagbard Celine said:
What, does "motive" not figure into prosecution anymore? A motive of hate represents a possible danger to others in the same racial/ethnic category as the victim. Plus it is an especially despicable reason for harming someone, more despicable than just about anything else besides lust or cannibalism. Motive is extremely important in determining sentencing. A murderer who murdered by accident or for money is completely different from a murderer who purposefully hunted down a specific type of person for the sole purpose of harming them because of they were a specific type. Murder is terrible, but there are different degrees to it that make one type of murder different and worse than another type. Hate crime borders on what serial killers do in my book.

...because nobody knows a persons true motives for ANYTHING. We can only guess...and trust me, Hate is no worse than greed...or anything else. Far be it from the LEFT to make moral judgements for people as to what is "worse"

dmp said:
...because nobody knows a persons true motives for ANYTHING. We can only guess...and trust me, Hate is no worse than greed...or anything else. Far be it from the LEFT to make moral judgements for people as to what is "worse"
So are you saying we should not differentiate between different types of murder, we should just convict based on yes or no did the person murder the other person? Should all sentences for all murders be the same?

Hagbard Celine said:
Last time I checked, sex was an act. Although I'm sure there are a lot of lustful thoughts and feelings roaming around out there, I don't see anyone being prosecuted for that.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Hagbard Celine said:
So are you saying we should not differentiate between different types of murder, we should just convict based on yes or no did the person murder the other person? Should all sentences for all murders be the same?

I'm saying, let a person's ACTIONS be the primary factor.

An ACT Of kidnapping, binding, drugging, raping then 'allowing a 13 year old boy to die' speaks for itself.

An ACT Of driving too fast, rolling your car, and killing a passenger speaks for itself.

Judge people on what they do...and the circumstances around their actions, plain and simple.

Hagbard Celine said:
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of my post.:)
The time it took to respond was more than your post deserved.
You wanna be an Attorney? Get off this chat site and start learning about law.
Just some fatherly advice. :eek:

Hagbard Celine said:
You can differentiate based on intentionality, whether or not a person meant to do the crime. You can find evidence to show if a crime was premeditated or not. But basically, murder is murder.

The problem with hate crimes is that it leads to conviction, not for an action commited, but for a feeling or thought. You cannot arrest someone for thinking bad thoughts about others. That is a violation of free thought. We can see in this article examples of people being prosecuted for nothing other than having an unpopular opinion. They did not attack, rob, or physically harm the "victims" in any way. They just said they don't like them.

mom4 said:
You can differentiate based on intentionality, whether or not a person meant to do the crime. You can find evidence to show if a crime was premeditated or not. But basically, murder is murder.

The problem with hate crimes is that it leads to conviction, not for an action commited, but for a feeling or thought. You cannot arrest someone for thinking bad thoughts about others. That is a violation of free thought. We can see in this article examples of people being prosecuted for nothing other than having an unpopular opinion. They did not attack, rob, or physically harm the "victims" in any way. They just said they don't like them.

Homerun. Exactly. Have you been gone? I think I've missed reading your posts. :)

dmp said:
Homerun. Exactly. Have you been gone? I think I've missed reading your posts. :)
3 soccer teams, a cheer squad, and three kids' homework to supervise, plus Halloween costumes to sew. And the carpets are yucchy! So, I've just been busy. Thanks for noticing! :)

mom4 said:
Last time I checked, sex was an act. Although I'm sure there are a lot of lustful thoughts and feelings roaming around out there, I don't see anyone being prosecuted for that.

Give it time with some of these totalitarian thoughts being thrown about. Someone would try to outlaw illicit thought if they could.

Forum List

Back