Why GOP likes big government so much

SwingVoter

VIP Member
Aug 30, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
problem with this party is that it hijacks "small gov't" rhetoric, but refuses to actually practice it

if you look at the budget, most of the big increases are entitlements for senior citizens, fighting "earmarks" make for good rhetoric, but Mac has admitted math wasn't his best subject, and these earmarks he rallies against account for less than two tenths of one percent of the fed budget, maybe someone should tell him that

Issue with seniors is that they represent a much higher share of GOP contributors and primary voters than they do Dem contributors and primary voters. Median age among GOP primary voters was anywhere from 4 to 9 years older than Dem voters depending on state. As a result, the party supported the biggest expansion in social spending in 40 years, Medicare Part D, and have refused to lift the retirement age for Social Security, a program so large it makes all the "earmarks" look like a rounding error.

I'm all for small gov't, but sadly, the Republicans aren't.

problem with this party is that it hijacks "small gov't" rhetoric, but refuses to actually practice it

if you look at the budget, most of the big increases are entitlements for senior citizens, fighting "earmarks" make for good rhetoric, but Mac has admitted math wasn't his best subject, and these earmarks he rallies against account for less than two tenths of one percent of the fed budget, maybe someone should tell him that

Issue with seniors is that they represent a much higher share of GOP contributors and primary voters than they do Dem contributors and primary voters. Median age among GOP primary voters was anywhere from 4 to 9 years older than Dem voters depending on state. As a result, the party supported the biggest expansion in social spending in 40 years, Medicare Part D, and have refused to lift the retirement age for Social Security, a program so large it makes all the "earmarks" look like a rounding error.

I'm all for small gov't, but sadly, the Republicans aren't.

You are a smart swingvoter.

Sadly... the Dems certainly are not....

Yes it is unfortunate that many congresspeople have gotten away from the need for small government... especially the ones running as 'conservative'... but that goes to show it is time to bring in the ones who truly are... and I fully believe that that is more readily found on the Rep side than the Dem side

Of course the Republicans are not for smaller government. The history of the past going on 40 years of Republican administrations, (contrary to their rhetoric) tells us the real story about how much they simply l;ove big government, doesn't it?

Government is the very best way to transfer wealth from the middle class to the wealthy class.

The liberal establishment of the past Demoocrats regimes (pre Clinton) taxed and spent, but at least we mostly paid as we went.

The current incorrectly named conservative establishment of the Republicans, spend and borrow to feed their beast.

In the long run the Republicans' sins of economy are even more destructive to our nation than the Dems sins were, because in the long run, all these debts they've run up DO have to be repaid.

Last edited:
Sadly... the Dems certainly are not....

Yes it is unfortunate that many congresspeople have gotten away from the need for small government... especially the ones running as 'conservative'... but that goes to show it is time to bring in the ones who truly are... and I fully believe that that is more readily found on the Rep side than the Dem side

Really, even though Bush/McCain/the GOP grew government exponentially?

This is why Republican voters are stupid. They don't care what their candidates do, just what they say. Maybe McCain will be different, right? :lol:

HW Bush promised 10 things when he ran for his first term. Do you know how many of those campaign promises he kept? Not a fucking one. This is why Clinton won.

GW Bush grew government, spending, the debt, inflation, and you are just dumb enough to vote that party back into office.:cuckoo:

Just look at spending under Clinton and spending under Bush. Take out Afganistan spending too if you want. Bush spent a lot more. You'll never believe it, but they purposely bankrupted the government and military so they could outsource it all. They want to privatize everything because they'll make money off us. Just look at Blackwater. Socialize the losses and privatize the profits! Just look at Iraq. We are paying and Blackwater is getting richer by the second. Then look at the mortgage industry. The rich got richer and when they went too far, the Federal Reserve bailed out the banks with our fucking tax dollars. They should have went belly up dummy! That's free markets. You don't get it I'm sure. Don't know why I explain to you over and over again. Sooo dumb.

Look at 2005 and 2006 GOP pork stupid. The GOP broke a pork record in 2005 and then broke their own record the next year. They knew they were going to lose the majority, or might lose the majority, so it was their last chance to rape the treasury. And you looked the other way.

So basically, your opinion is shit. Shit because the facts prove you are dead fucking wrong. But when have you ever let facts get in your way.

Really, even though Bush/McCain/the GOP grew government exponentially?

This is why Republican voters are stupid. They don't care what their candidates do, just what they say. Maybe McCain will be different, right? :lol:

HW Bush promised 10 things when he ran for his first term. Do you know how many of those campaign promises he kept? Not a fucking one. This is why Clinton won.

GW Bush grew government, spending, the debt, inflation, and you are just dumb enough to vote that party back into office.:cuckoo:

Just look at spending under Clinton and spending under Bush. Take out Afganistan spending too if you want. Bush spent a lot more. You'll never believe it, but they purposely bankrupted the government and military so they could outsource it all. They want to privatize everything because they'll make money off us. Just look at Blackwater. Socialize the losses and privatize the profits! Just look at Iraq. We are paying and Blackwater is getting richer by the second. Then look at the mortgage industry. The rich got richer and when they went too far, the Federal Reserve bailed out the banks with our fucking tax dollars. They should have went belly up dummy! That's free markets. You don't get it I'm sure. Don't know why I explain to you over and over again. Sooo dumb.

Look at 2005 and 2006 GOP pork stupid. The GOP broke a pork record in 2005 and then broke their own record the next year. They knew they were going to lose the majority, or might lose the majority, so it was their last chance to rape the treasury. And you looked the other way.

So basically, your opinion is shit. Shit because the facts prove you are dead fucking wrong. But when have you ever let facts get in your way.

I honestly cannot understand how anyone who claims to be a fical conservative could EVER vote Republican if they know anything about what the Republican administrations in the lst 40 years have done.

One thing I will credit most Libertarians for being is consistent.

But given that so many of them, then just pull the republican leverm makes me question their sanity, too.

The Dems have consistently spent less money foolishly than the Republicans have in the last four decades. One Dem even managed to curb spending SO much, that the Fed started worrying about DEFLATION, for god's sakes!

And yet STILL the myth is pulled out of mothballs every election cycle that the Republian Party is wants smaller government or is fiscally conservative, and that the Dems are spendthrifts.

It takes a studied ignorance to believe that myth, let me tell ya'.

Last edited:
Once again, no matter how many times you claim it, Bush is not running for President this time.

And McCain hasn't specified any significant cuts, other than that he's against "earmarks", which are a rounding error in the 2 trillion dollar plus budget.

The deficit has created so many unintended consequences, including a weak dollar, that pushed up gas prices far more than Nancy Pelosi's no-drill rhetoric ever could have.

Both parties love Big Government. Take universal health care. Take taxing the rich to fund these balloons of spending. So when Obama talks about changing government, how so? He's only going to make it bigger and make the government decide what your course you take.

Hey don't forget about Bush using the tax surplus to fund a tax cut for the wealthy instead of using it to pay down the principle on the national debt!

What most of these anti-tax whining conservatives forget is that the government, like any borrower must make minimum payments on the national debt, which mostly goes to interest. I haven't looked lately (U.S. Treasury web site), but about 3 years ago 17% of all federal tax money goes to these payments.

Think about that! 17% of your federal taxes go to paying interest on the national debt. Gone, out the window, does nada for anyone (except the chinese). While that moron in the white house passed up a golden chance to pay down a chunk of the the principle and the opportunity to pass the saving on the interest payments on as a real and permanent tax cut. He continues to run up the debt like there was no tomorrow.

Cutting taxes while running up the national debt. is like quitting your job because you think that you don't need an income and can live off your credit cards.

Tax and Spend is fiscal responsibilty. Not taxing and spending is idiotic.

I doubt McCain will be any different.

maybe this year they'll get .4% of the vote

Probably more like 6% this year.

But don't complain about big government if you're going to make fun of the one party that still cares about smaller government.

Forum List

Back