Why GOP candidates would make the national debt worse

R

rdean

Why GOP candidates would make the national debt worse - CSMonitor.com

With Romney, the debt would change little from the CRFB baseline but only if he finds tax hikes to offset those 20 percent rate cuts. He has not said what those revenue increases would be, and without them, he’d add about $2.6 trillion to the debt and drive it to about 96 percent of GDP. Santorum would increase the debt by $4.5 trillion to 104 percent of GDP. Gingrich would add $7 trillion to the debt and drive it to 114 percent of GDP.

----------------------------

Now this is coming from the Right Wing Christian Science Monitor. The same news source that pointed out that Republicans blackmailed Obama into extending the Bush Tax cuts or they were going to cut off unemployment for millions of Americans whose jobs were victimized by Republican policies.

With Romney, the debt would change little from the CRFB baseline but only if he finds tax hikes to offset those 20 percent rate cuts. He has not said what those revenue increases would be, and without them, he’d add about $2.6 trillion to the debt and drive it to about 96 percent of GDP. Santorum would increase the debt by $4.5 trillion to 104 percent of GDP. Gingrich would add $7 trillion to the debt and drive it to 114 percent of GDP.

Now this is coming from the Right Wing Christian Science Monitor. The same news source that pointed out that Republicans blackmailed Obama into extending the Bush Tax cuts or they were going to cut off unemployment for millions of Americans whose jobs were victimized by Republican policies.

Where does Obama expect to get the $1.5 trillion in tax hikes to make his budget not become a major disaster?

Where does Obama expect to get the $1.5 trillion in tax hikes to make his budget not become a major disaster?

Obama isn't running as a Republican. What do you think of their tax plans?

I haven't studied there tax plans because they are campaign promises, not solid proposals. Remembers Obama;s tax plan to cut the deficit in half by now? I dismissed it as vaporware when he was a candidate, but he made it official when he repeated the promise after he became president. Why aren't you complaining about the fact that he keep increasing the deficit instead of cutting it? Are you aware that, if all of Obama's projections are accurate, and he gets that %1.5 trillion in new taxes this year, the deficit will only decrease by 30% over what he ran his first year, which was actually an increase over Bush's last deficit. If one of the Republican candidates gets elected I will be happy to actually take the hours it actually takes to analyze his proposal and list all of the things that are wrong with it, until then I deal with reality.

I haven't studied there tax plans because they are campaign promises, not solid proposals. Remembers Obama;s tax plan to cut the deficit in half by now? I dismissed it as vaporware when he was a candidate, but he made it official when he repeated the promise after he became president. Why aren't you complaining about the fact that he keep increasing the deficit instead of cutting it? Are you aware that, if all of Obama's projections are accurate, and he gets that %1.5 trillion in new taxes this year, the deficit will only decrease by 30% over what he ran his first year, which was actually an increase over Bush's last deficit. If one of the Republican candidates gets elected I will be happy to actually take the hours it actually takes to analyze his proposal and list all of the things that are wrong with it, until then I deal with reality.

Your numbers aren't making sense. His first year the deficit was 1.5T. Last year it was 1.3T. This year it is projected at 1.1T and has actually been beating that so far. If in some crazy world he actually got 1.5T in tax increases he would be running a surplus.
Did you mean 1.5T over ten years? Because that would equate to close to a 30% cut (actually closer to 40%). In reality, at the pace we are running the deficit is already 30% lower then it was after his first year in office.

Your numbers aren't making sense. His first year the deficit was 1.5T. Last year it was 1.3T. This year it is projected at 1.1T and has actually been beating that so far. If in some crazy world he actually got 1.5T in tax increases he would be running a surplus.
Did you mean 1.5T over ten years? Because that would equate to close to a 30% cut (actually closer to 40%). In reality, at the pace we are running the deficit is already 30% lower then it was after his first year in office.

His budget for 2013 is what I am talking about. That projects a $1.5 trillion tax increase over 10 years.

Last edited:

His budget for 2013 is what I am talking about. That projects a $1.5 trillion tax increase over 10 years.

k gotcha. I admit I haven't been following his proposed next year budget too close (or almost at all)

I see nothing but spin in that article. The bottom line is this. Entitlements are killing us. Folks are NOT taking jobs they rather get the payout. Give me some meat here and I may agree!

What un-reformed entitlements are doing right now or have done in the past sadly enough, is that they are creating epidemics is what they are doing in this nation (or) have since done in this nation in the past, all by way of our money being foolishly used to fun these epidemics, where as people are taking advantage of these entitlements by the hundreds of thousands all across this nation now (especially adult teenagers from all walks of life), where as they see it as foolish to work anymore in many cases, especially when they can get everything for free in order to meet their daily needs, while they then watch as we (the ones who will still work) pass them on by as they sit at home thinking and thinking, and then out thinking us once they are through thinking about it. They watch us as we all go off to work (in order to pay for it all with our taxes taken), and then they are the first to cry when we want the laws observed by all equally & obeyed by all equally..

The rent subsidies are the biggest mistake this nation has ever made, where as it pays for thug neighborhoods to spring up everywhere, and poverty sprawl to then become a serious problem all over this nation (no accountability in the past & none-today). No place is then safe from this idiocy found so previlent now among our lower to medium "middleclass" income (bluecollar working) neighborhoods.

These places sadly enough have become anti-neighbor-HOODS, not neighborhoods in the once American traditional sense or styles as they were for the most part in the past.

Property values then fall quickly as a result of these "government housing or subsidies" given, where as they do intervene where they should not, didnot, and donot belong. Danger begins to lerk at every turn, where as not only can't the ones who got stuck in the situation get out anymore (because they may be too old etc.), but they begin to suffer greatly as a result of this government sudsidized intervention or take over by way of these rent subsidies (trying to place people where ever they can, and then paying for it without having accountability to show for it all), on down the road, when even the city workers and meter readers become afraid to venture into many areas that have been deemed (by gangs and such, who are dependent on government assistance forever ironicly) as their areas, where as this is where the people are then found with no picture ID's, pushing drugs, raising Hell and who knows what else that goes on in such areas across this nation.

Done bought the ticket, and done seen the show, and it ain't pretty folks..

How can people push back, what the idiotic goverment has since done to them and their neighborhoods over the years, and yet do it in a way that slowly rolls this stuff backwards, at least from the levels it had ultimately reached, in order to dis-incentivise the situation, just as it had since incentivised it all with before hand ? Ummm these are my thoughts rambling about here now.. Oh well......

Romney would add $2.6 trillion
Santorum would add $4.5 trillion
Gingrich would add $7 trillion

Hmm...forgetting someone? (hint: he will cut 1 trillion).

Republicans want to raise taxes on people making less then 100,000 a year in order to give millionaires thousands in tax cuts

So you are saying they are lying?

Somebody seems to have the Marxist-leaning Romney confused with an actual Republican.

Because Republicans don't believe in American helping American. Their goal is to turn the US into an ignorant, uneducated Banana Republic.

Dem politicians gonna break us all, den there gonna be chaos in the streets - den all Helter Skelter gonna break out an' ever'body gonna be askin' ol' Charlie Manson to lead the way...
:eusa_shifty:
The $5 Trillion Man: Debt Has Increased Under Obama by $5,027,761,476,484.56
April 18, 2012 - In the 39 months since Barack Obama took the oath of office as president of the United States, the federal government’s debt has increased by $5,027,761,476,484.56.
Although he has served less than a term, Obama is now the first American president to see the federal government's debt increase by more than $5 trillion during his time in office. During the full eight years that George W. Bush served as president, the federal government's debt increased by $4,899,100,310,608.44. (Rising from $5,727,776,738,304.64 to $10,626,877,048,913.08.)

The $5,027,761,476,484.56 that the debt has increased during Obama's presidency equals $16,043.39 for every one of the 313,385,295 people the Census Bureau now estimates live in the United States. At the close of business on Jan. 20, 2009, the day Obama was inaugurated, the federal government’s debt was $10,626,877,048,913.08, according to the U.S. Treasury. By the close of business on April 16, 2012—as many Americans were working to finalize their 2011 tax returns to meet an April 17 filing deadline—the debt had reached $15,654,638,525,397.64.

The $5,027,761,476,484.56 in additional debt that the U.S. government has taken on during the 39 months that Obama has been president is more debt than the federal government accumulated in the first 219 years of the Republic. The total federal debt did not exceed $5,027,761,476,484.56 until March 14, 1996, when President Bill Clinton was in the last year of his first term in office. On that day, the national debt rose from $5,025,887,531,178.79 to 5,035,165,720,616.33.

Source

Forum List

Back