Why God was invented

That's silly. If mankind were that vain they would have no need to create a God to explain what they don't understand.
THAT is silly.

Arrogance follows vanity. One must be vain to be arrogant. You said it yourself, mankind is arrogant. Therefore, he is vain.

I'll concede that arrogance is a necessary condition for vanity, but is it a sufficient condition as well? Are they truly grammatical equivalents?
They are actually synonyms.

vanity synonym | Thesaurus.com

Actually, the arrogance would result in the "human" gods we created, since a god is just a giver and taker of life with a perceived superiority, to most animals we are gods, though they don't understand the meaning, it is the same concept.

Actually, the arrogance would result in the "human" gods we created, since a god is just a giver and taker of life with a perceived superiority, to most animals we are gods, though they don't understand the meaning, it is the same concept.
Humans actually exist. Gods do not.

That's silly. If mankind were that vain they would have no need to create a God to explain what they don't understand.
THAT is silly.

Arrogance follows vanity. One must be vain to be arrogant. You said it yourself, mankind is arrogant. Therefore, he is vain.
umm...so what? Why would arrogance lead anyone to invent a God...it would lead someone to do exactly the opposite.

Arrogance might have created God in mankind's image but that doesn't explain the creation of God to begin with.

See, now THAT is arrogance in action.
it's just a fact. Never confuse facts with arrogance.
THAT is silly.

umm...so what? Why would arrogance lead anyone to invent a God...it would lead someone to do exactly the opposite.
That's not what you said earlier. Now you're being a dishonest broker. You're dismissed.

Last edited:
See, now THAT is arrogance in action.
it's just a fact. Never confuse facts with arrogance.
THAT is silly.

That's not what you said earlier. Now you're being a dishonest broker. You're dismissed.
No doubt you are misreading what I post.

THAT is silly.

I'll concede that arrogance is a necessary condition for vanity, but is it a sufficient condition as well? Are they truly grammatical equivalents?
They are actually synonyms.

vanity synonym | Thesaurus.com

They do have somewhat different tones or implications*, though I concede that for our purposes, they are the same thing

*There is a better word, but I don't recall it.

Arrogance might have created God in mankind's image but that doesn't explain the creation of God to begin with.
Sure it does. If man is another animal, then he must do something to be special. If man is modeled after god, he feel superior. The theists on this board demonstrate this every time evolution is discussed. Being made by a god- and being made special- gives Man a sense of superiority

Sure it does. If man is another animal, then he must do something to be special. If man is modeled after god, he feel superior. The theists on this board demonstrate this every time evolution is discussed. Being made by a god- and being made special- gives Man a sense of superiority
Okay, that's a completely logical reason to invent a God...man needs to feel superior.

And inventing God is what I am talking about...not what God looks like. The what God looks like can be a factor of arrogance but that doesn't explain the why of God's invention.

There is another factor. By inventing deity, Man provides himself an 'out' for his own lack of knowledge. M<any great minds, including Newton, turned to 'god' when they reached the ends of their knowledge and had no more answers. by attributing it to deity (especially once the concept of 'god's plan' became popular) allowed for those with limited knowledge to find an escape and assure themselves there was still an explanation and some meaning or purpose

Evolution itself is fact, without knowing that we wouldn't be able to develop vaccines.

Actually, no, evolution isn't fact. I think you're confusing mutation with evolution. If evolution were fact, then it still wouldn't be listed as a theory.

There are theories in and of evolution, the fact that it does and can happen remains in tact. As I have recommended to many others, you need to read more than one source. The subject of evolution is far more vast than just one theory or one fact, there's a lot to it. Mutation is also part of evolution, mutation without external influences is in fact one of the many aspects of evolution. It's a misconception to think that it's all just theory, gravity is a theory, nuclear reaction is a theory, computers are theory, helicopters are theory, etc..

Here we go into Vagueland again.

This is not evidence of anything KK. You say it's there but don't reference...that's like ppl on the X files saying "something's out there"...but never being able to get money for their program because that's all they ever say.

Doesn't this whole discussion pretty much prove my assertion that it's nearly impossible for athiests to not be condescending and arrogant? I mean seriously, the notion that God was invented is just accepted as a given. :lol:

BTW, the fact that we are the only species on the planet that can understand cause and effect makes me think we're different because we're made in the image of God.

Doesn't this whole discussion pretty much prove my assertion that it's nearly impossible for athiests to not be condescending and arrogant? I mean seriously, the notion that God was invented is just accepted as a given. :lol:

Every culture around the world has had some form of religion. We can rule out the possibility that they were right, because many are mutually exclusive. We can reasonably discuss what benefits the development of religion may have had for past peoples. It is you who is being arrogant and condescending, for you interrupt intellectual and honest discussion in order to stir the proverbial pot and attack those who disagree with you.

Have raised cats all my life. They are not vain or self-important. That's a stereotype which is, like most stereotypes, inaccurate. They're misunderstood.

The reality is that they are highly observant, far more than humans, deep, and independent, mostly.
Yup and some of their behavior is easily confused with self-importance and vanity.

my cat thinks and knows, she is the center of our family, and she also knows she is pretty! :D or that she is a "purrrity kitty"!

I don't care what you say!!! I know my cat!!!! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
BTW, the fact that we are the only species on the planet that can understand cause and effect makes me think we're different because we're made in the image of God.

define 'understand'. Many species come to know that cause A triggers effect B- this ability to determine relation fuels learning and is key to survival in animals.

The reality is that they are highly observant, far more than humans, deep, and independent, mostly.
Yup and some of their behavior is easily confused with self-importance and vanity.

my cat thinks and knows, she is the center of our family, and she also knows she is pretty! :D

I don't care what you say!!! I know my cat!!!! :lol::lol:

image.php

go away

I don't think so. Is claiming Santa was invented arrogant and condescending?

Every culture around the world has had some form of religion. We can rule out the possibility that they were right, because many are mutually exclusive. We can reasonably discuss what benefits the development of religion may have had for past peoples. It is you who is being arrogant and condescending, for you interrupt intellectual and honest discussion in order to stir the proverbial pot and attack those who disagree with you.

intellectual and honest? :lol:

Forum List

Back