Why Glenn Beck is so effective

I was reading a book and quite randomly a thought came to me about why Glenn is so effective in getting his message across and why his opponents have such a difficult time distracting people from his message with their normal name calling attacks.

I think it's because the man has been through hell. He isn't perfect and he is one of the first ones to point out his flaws and imperfections. Much of the rest of the media is trying to pretend they are above it all or that they have this perfect image. But Glenn doesn't hide anything. Think of the worst thing you have seen him accused of. He freely admits he's done worse. He isn't trying to convert people over to him. He is trying to convince people to follow the principles that are important despite him.

I think people find that refreshing. They don't have to worry about someone lying about who they are. You can take him and what he says for what he says. He may be wrong, but he is speaking what he thinks and isn't just selling something.

is there even 1 sane and rational conservative in America?

it is so amusing to see you say that the people glenn beck constantly refers to as NAZIS attack HIM with NAMECALLING....

I'd say that referring to some relatively decent America who isn't a deranged lunatic as a "nazi" is a pretty good example of "name calling"

I've seen beck
I've heard beck
I've read beck

the man should be rubber roomed

and anyone who thinks beck makes sense has an extremely defective brain
Prove it take the
http://www.usmessageboard.com/media/85916-beck-open-book-test.html#post1453602

Right or wrong, Beck and his ilk will have their various detractors and supporters.

The one argument made about demagogues like Beck, Hannity, the addict Limbaugh et al is their audience is so big so they must be right! I can't see how that makes a lick of sense! A big audience, big numbers in the ratings game makes for credibility?

With logic like this, it could be argued that Beyonce makes better music than Mozart based on iTunes receipts.

Has anyone argued that having a large audience makes them right?

I would argue that it shows they have something that attracts people to them.

is there even 1 sane and rational conservative in America?

it is so amusing to see you say that the people glenn beck constantly refers to as NAZIS attack HIM with NAMECALLING....

I'd say that referring to some relatively decent America who isn't a deranged lunatic as a "nazi" is a pretty good example of "name calling"

I've seen beck
I've heard beck
I've read beck

the man should be rubber roomed

and anyone who thinks beck makes sense has an extremely defective brain

What is crazy about lower taxes? What is crazy about not spending more than we bring in? What is crazy about pointing out corruption and saying we should do something about it? What is crazy about saying that we need to become a people with stronger values?

Seriously, what is crazy about this? You can claim it's crazy all day long, but you can't demonstrate what's so crazy about it. It tells me that you don't like what he is saying but you can't provide an intellectual response to it so you have to dismiss it as crazy.

I think it's far crazier thinking we can spend spend spend and that there aren't any consequences. I think it's crazier to see someone accurately predict what is currently going on in Europe 3 years ago and say the guy is nuts. I think it's crazy to pretend all is great in the world. I think it's crazier to expect others to provide food, healthcare, money etc to you just because you think you are entitled to their hard work. I think it's crazier to follow the same path throughout history that leads to death and destruction on massive scales.

Maybe if you could articulate some of your positions, I would listen to you. But until you do that and stop dismissing people like Glenn or anyone else as crazy, I am not going to find you very credible.

Hes also hawking gold to his viewers at high prices.

The man is about money.

They are his advertisers. What exactly is wrong with promoting a product you agree with?

What's wrong with making money?

Whenever something like gold is being hawked to the average Joe on TV you know it is NOT the time to buy gold.

Its at a high and you are supposed to buy low SELL high.

Why dont you alrealy know that?

Hes also hawking gold to his viewers at high prices.

The man is about money.

They are his advertisers. What exactly is wrong with promoting a product you agree with?

What's wrong with making money?

Whenever something like gold is being hawked to the average Joe on TV you know it is NOT the time to buy gold.

Its at a high and you are supposed to buy low SELL high.

Why dont you alrealy know that?

Goldline has several products some with a very high mark up :antique coins ,others with less mark up .
Goldline has a A + rating with the BBB.
Beck states he buys gold as insurance against hyper inflation not as an investment .
Beck has been asking the "government" to be fiscally responsible for a long time.
If "they" listened to him, what do you think would happen to the price of gold?

I though this was pretty funny , so I decided to look for more ,
I found this doing a google search of Bob Cesca

Bob Cesca's Awesome Blog! Go!: Glenn Beck Scams Woman Out of $800 it includes the beck audio that proves everything the guy and another blogger wrote are flat out lies .
Nothing short of amazing

Did you read any of this? Or are you just a moonie follower type?

========================================

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard Feynman

If you can seriously listen to Glenn Beck you are either in need of an education and even that rather rare quality common sense. I tried tonight and did listen for about fifteen minutes. In that short time he made more speculative connections than the synapses of the mind can even handle.

A few:

He mentioned that what was happening now is what FDR did during the Great Depression. Does he realize that FDR's policies helped bring us out of the GD and for over fifty years till Reagan/Clinton/Bush destroyed banking regulation, provided what is considered by historians as the golden age of America. Does he even know how we got into the GD

He mentioned the stock market fluctuates, wow, that sure took great intelligence and then he compared it with Japan. He actually took credit for telling that us that a few years ago and used it as an example of how he is always telling the truth. Was he here in America for the Internet bubble or was he just in a bubble?

We are headed for 'global governance' to use his words? But he doesn't say how, that is only thrown in as it appeals to his choir. This is a weird line of conspiracy thought that appeals to and frightens. I can never understand conspiracy thinking and its love the unknown and unpredictable. When everything is a conspiracy how does one get through the day?

Then he wants us to understand, so he will help us by using 'history.' HUH! Considering he knows nothing about the GD, how is he going to teach us. As I wrote above, a requirement for his show is a lack of education.

Then he gives more of his predictions, one is union pensions, does the buffoon know the government already insures pensions and what he refers to and then makes fact is legislative discussions on potential assistance to various funds who lost money under - guess who and how and guess who was in power. He neglects how we got here in the first place, just as he forgot Coolidge and Hoover.

Some legislator mentions 'reparations' and he immediately told you so, even though it is hard to say what he is referring to, and even if it will ever become fact. For Beck it doesn't matter what happens, it only matters that key words are used and these key words point to (fill in your favorite diabolical fear: communism, global governance, or whatever you like, doesn't really matter.)

'Rationing' is mentioned, he warned you of that too. It doesn't matter that rationing has always happened either by having insurance or being in need, he saw the obvious coming and now take credit for seeing the obvious. Of course he adds a government take over spin to his seeing the obvious.

I turned it off when he got to Europe is crumbing and we are going to be like Europe. OMG what an idiot, has he been to Europe? Sure they have protests, and they burn stuff in their protests, but was he missing from America during the past 50 years. And I gotta say having been in Italy, Spain, and France recently I missed the crumbling.

Last edited:
Oh, God....there are actually people who take him seriously???

Oh that's right, there are neocon whackjobs in the US...my bad..

...carry on...........

You're proof that there are those that choose to bury their head in the sand and ignore the facts.

Carry on!

Anybody who takes Glenn Beck as a serious news source is a dumb fuck. If you fall into that category, then have at it....

Right or wrong, Beck and his ilk will have their various detractors and supporters.

The one argument made about demagogues like Beck, Hannity, the addict Limbaugh et al is their audience is so big so they must be right! I can't see how that makes a lick of sense! A big audience, big numbers in the ratings game makes for credibility?

With logic like this, it could be argued that Beyonce makes better music than Mozart based on iTunes receipts.

But even that is a lie. Their audience rates 1-3 percent on CABLE...so about 95% of Americans don't even listen to them...how big is their audience really? Sweet fuck all....

midcan
Im a koolaid drunk with a hangover that blacks out history .

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate
By Meg Sullivan August 10, 2004
Two UCLA economists say they have figured out why the Great Depression dragged on for almost 15 years, and they blame a suspect previously thought to be beyond reproach: President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

After scrutinizing Roosevelt's record for four years, Harold L. Cole and Lee E. Ohanian conclude in a new study that New Deal policies signed into law 71 years ago thwarted economic recovery for seven long years.

"Why the Great Depression lasted so long has always been a great mystery, and because we never really knew the reason, we have always worried whether we would have another 10- to 15-year economic slump," said Ohanian, vice chair of UCLA's Department of Economics. "We found that a relapse isn't likely unless lawmakers gum up a recovery with ill-conceived stimulus policies."

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate / UCLA Newsroom

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard Feynman

Anybody who takes Glenn Beck as a serious news source is a dumb fuck. If you fall into that category, then have at it....

News source???? Have to agree with you on that .... he is not a source of news. He doesn't pretend to be a source of news and only someone who thinks he is a source of news, or refers to him as a "source" of news is a "dumb fuck".

He does use the news however - he takes the news and dissects it ..... cuts it up into little pieces and then spreads it all over like a deck of cards and then starts putting it back together again to show how things intersect.

Instead of listening to talking heads trying to outdo themselves with the latest gossip and who can come up with the cutest, or most cutting, quip.....I would rather listen to someone who rips the headlines apart to see where the rivers underneath are flowing.

Last edited:
I see him as a big mouth with an opinion...he doesn't dissect shit IMO...

Yes, he has a big mouth, and opinions which he is very passionate about - I will agree with you on these two points. However, totally disagree on the disection of the news .... if you watch his show you would know different.

....FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate By Meg Sullivan August 10, 2004
Two UCLA economists say they have figured out why the Great Depression dragged on for almost 15 years, and they blame a suspect previously thought to be beyond reproach: President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

After scrutinizing Roosevelt's record for four years, Harold L. Cole and Lee E. Ohanian conclude in a new study that New Deal policies signed into law 71 years ago thwarted economic recovery for seven long years....

If their premise were true, you would need to explain fifty years of progress - that is untill regulatory structures developed in FDR's administration were destroyed and we nearly had another collapse, another GD.

I would suggest you read a bit of the history yourself and not revisionist writing from economists who obviously weren't there. I'll include a few links that further disprove the point of the UCLA revisionists. You may want to check the UCLA's credentials for why they write as they do. I often find they are simply partisan and corporate hacks. You only fool yourself when you read one point of view.

The beginning of Manchester's marvelous narrative history, 'The Glory and The Dream' is a good staring point for a sense of the times, 1932.

Summary
Timeline of the Great Depression
The Great Depression, to 1935
The Main Causes of the Great Depression
Stiff upper lip.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Great-Depression-New-Deal-Introductions/dp/0195326342/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1230302046&sr=1-8]Amazon.com: The Great Depression and the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (9780195326345): Eric Rauchway: Books[/ame]

Back OT.

As I noted above Beck's message is negative, pessimistic, and conspiratorial, reading Tibor Scitovsky's essay "Culture is a Good Thing," this morning it occurred to me that this viewpoint must make some people happy. I'm not sure why, but any human psychological spectrum often includes the weird. Given the small number of Beck watchers, the pleasure of the bad, and the slippery slope to hell, for the pessimist has grand appeal. Again I find it baffling, maybe it is simply serotonin levels in the brain, maybe mom didn't give the pessimist love, maybe dad hated his life, behavior is often hard to explain. Consider Beck was a drunk, drunks often go to extremes, just a criminals do, when they find Christ or find a cause that gives their lives meaning.

"We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations." Anais Nin

http://www.springerlink.com/content/j55684n47tw36030/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back