Why Get Married?

There is really nothing a "marriage gives you that a civil union, and a contract laying out what happens to property upon death doesn't. I'm still waiting for that solid argument that would be persuasive enough for one half of the party to be willing to risk it all...
if your partner becomes comatose, you are next of kin, you can choose to pull the plug or not, if you die without a will your assets and holdings automatically goes to the spouse without the need for other legal papers, your spouse can apply for early death benefits from SSI and so can your kids, if you are married for 10 years, your spouse can collect your Social Security (half of it) even if the spouse never worked....you can file your income taxes together, giving savings....

AND there are a hundred and one other legal things that give benefit, if married.
I thought I had already addressed this. Living wills, and power of attorney arrangements are relatively simple documentations that a lawyer can draft for each and everyone of these scenarios.
Who in the world has the money and know how when they are young and first married or first partnered, to do all of those legalese things, for goodness sake!

And no, you did not address all those things I mentioned....no lawyer can get you disability payments or early death payments of your partner, or the means to file your taxes jointly as a partner couple, or receive your dead spouses SS if just partnered etc
I have you the SS. But the "know how" part is definitely not a good sign. The ability to sign up for so much potential risk, without educating one's self to the alternatives is scary, and smacks of haste, and a poorly thought out decision. Not does it speak to the other people who don't fit the bill of "young, and just starting out".

In this day and age; I can't think of any good reason why a successful man, having land, and money should get married. And if he did choose to; I recommend one hell of a prenup.
A friend of mine is thinking of getting married, and admittedly I'm trying to talk some sense into him. When I ask why he wants to; all he can come up with is because he's "in love"... That's about the worst excuse I can imagine!
So seriously; can y'all give me some good reasons why a man should risk losing half his assets just to prove he love some woman?

The only reason you get married is to raise your status in life... As for marriage for love, that is pure nonsense in the majority of marriages and many confuse lust for love...

If most would consider marriage as a business dealing they would be better off...

Your arguments are more for a SECOND or THIRD marriage when at least one of the partners has money... imo
While it can apply in the examples you've given; it's just as applicable for those who don't marry in thier late teens, and early 20's. Many people focus on school and career first. And often times by the time the issue of marriage comes up; one or both parties may have accumulated some amount of wealth in cash, retirement savings 401k, and real estate.

In this day and age; I can't think of any good reason why a successful man, having land, and money should get married. And if he did choose to; I recommend one hell of a prenup.
A friend of mine is thinking of getting married, and admittedly I'm trying to talk some sense into him. When I ask why he wants to; all he can come up with is because he's "in love"... That's about the worst excuse I can imagine!
So seriously; can y'all give me some good reasons why a man should risk losing half his assets just to prove he love some woman?

Children.
Children can still be made, and had without marriage.

Bastards have far more problems with life than children of happy marriages.

If you find the right woman, you won't need reasons to want to marry her.

Children.

I don't think that the stigma of "bastard" really effects children in today's American culture. Now if we're talking single parent vs, both parents; for sure there's an advantage. But that's a different topic all together.

Children.

I don't think that the stigma of "bastard" really effects children in today's American culture. Now if we're talking single parent vs, both parents; for sure there's an advantage. But that's a different topic all together.

Fucking bastards!!

If I had my way, they'd be forced to attend separate schools. Maybe even a tattoo on the forehead too.....

JK

:rofl:

Children.

Fucking bastards!!

If I had my way, they'd be forced to attend separate schools. Maybe even a tattoo on the forehead too.....

JK

Well I am one of those damn bastards and proud of it... when someone call me one and if it is a male I look at them say " papa is that you!?! " because it is only a word that many have forgotten the true meaning of what the damn word mean!

:rock:

Children.

Fucking bastards!!

JK

Well I am one of those damn bastards and proud of it... when someone call me one and if it is a male I look at them say " papa is that you!?! " because it is only a word that many have forgotten the true meaning of what the damn word mean!

Yeah... it carries no weight, or stigma anymore.

Fucking bastards!!

JK

Yeah... it carries no weight, or stigma anymore.

Maybe the lack of stigma for bastard children has coincided with the decline of our culture? That, and reality TV! :lol:

Maybe the lack of stigma for bastard children has coincided with the decline of our culture?

Exactly. Beginning with the “sexual revolution” of the 1960s, and going downhill from there. Though it was never really fair that the children should bear the stigma and the consequences, for the irresponsible and immoral behavior of their parents.

The only reason you get married is to raise your status in life... As for marriage for love, that is pure nonsense in the majority of marriages and many confuse lust for love...

If most would consider marriage as a business dealing they would be better off...

False

False

My opinion.. ask me if I care if you agree with me!?!

False

You don't have to care to be wrong.

False

If you believe I am wrong mean I am writing something factual...

False

If you believe I am wrong mean I am writing something factual...

Once again in English?

I guess I did it the right way. I married my childhood sweetheart before either of us had anything of great value. So pretty much what we have we built together. At this point losing her would be way worse than money.

Marriage is a legal arrangement, love isn't a prerequisite. Many people fall deeply in love only to hate them later on, sometimes not much later. I think marriage is old fashioned and the state should no longer be involved. Make the legal arrangement you want with any person or persons and leave it at that.

Forum List

Back