CDZ Why Every American Should Pledge One Year Of Public Service

Any able bodied person 18 or older that is not in school or gainfully employed and paying taxes should be expected to give service time in exchange for any benefits and assistance.
Fair enough, but if you ask for nothing then you owe the government nothing.
OK

But you pay a fee every time you walk on a public sidewalk, drive on a public road, etc.
And that, my friend is why we pay taxes!

Mandatory volunteerism. I like it. Since corporations are now citizens, then their ceo's should be forced to serve a couple years also, right?

Any able bodied person 18 or older that is not in school or gainfully employed and paying taxes should be expected to give service time in exchange for any benefits and assistance.
Fair enough, but if you ask for nothing then you owe the government nothing.
OK

But you pay a fee every time you walk on a public sidewalk, drive on a public road, etc.
And that, my friend is why we pay taxes!
No shit Sherlock.

You said you owed the government nothing, right, but paid your taxes.

DUH!

On edit, twas Taze who thinks he owes nothing.

My bad.

Forcing everyone into a period of public service would be an expensive nightmare to administer. Would we make avoiding service a criminal offense?

Requiring service of people receiving government benefits sounds more doable and appropriate although many receiving those benefits may not be capable of service.

We already have a government agency established for the purpose - The Selective Service System Selective Service System About the Agency

If it can manage millions of service-eligible people, I'm sure it's set up to handle a bit more.

Forcing everyone into a period of public service would be an expensive nightmare to administer. Would we make avoiding service a criminal offense?

Requiring service of people receiving government benefits sounds more doable and appropriate although many receiving those benefits may not be capable of service.

We already have a government agency established for the purpose - The Selective Service System Selective Service System About the Agency

If it can manage millions of service-eligible people, I'm sure it's set up to handle a bit more.

And tie it to voting rights at the federal level. If you don't want to serve you can still vote at the state level, and still have all the other rights and privileges of US Citizenship, you just can't vote federally.

Forum List

Back