Why Evangelical Christians Support Israel

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by ScreamingEagle, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    http://www.patrobertson.com/Speeches/IsraelLauder.asp

Is their argument solid? Why doesn't the other 2/3 also support Israel?

2. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128

1. It's from Pat Robertson, who is considered by most to be a nut.

2. Islam is the fastest growing religion, this article is incorrect.

3. There are errors in facts of that article, which makes it hard to give credit to an argument when it contains false information.

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Evangelical Christians support Israel because they are locked in to the eschatology of their end time dogma. Never mind that <i>The Revelation of Jesus Christ ... unto his servant John</i> addresses the excesses of Rome in the period in which it was written. And don't forget, the POTUS claims to be an evangelical Christian, and he has his finger on the trigger. He's just squirrely enough to pull it too.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Well, if I'm understanding what you are asking and reading Robertson correctly, he makes a logical fallacy or perhaps it was just a rhetorical slight of hand. He sets up that evangelicals are 1/3 of Christianity today, and they support Israel; leaving the impression that the other 2/3 doesn't.

I would say that there are people that would claim to be 'Evangelicals', and be at best claim 'anti-zionism' if not truly antii-Semitic. Of course, most mainstream Evangelicals would not agree that these people are Evangelical at all. A probable good site and discussion of defining 'Evangelical', can be found here: http://www.wheaton.edu/isae/defining_evangelicalism.html

On the other hand, there are many Christians who are not Evangelicals and also strong supporters of Israel, we are by Robertson's definition in that 2/3 that he is speaking of.

5. PsuedoGhost

PsuedoGhost Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Problem here is that good Ol Pat has a tendency to make up facts out of thin air. By most accounts Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world to date. Why? Who knows.

Secondly, the evangelicals support Israel because they want to see the Temple rebuilt as it would indicate to them the start of the end times. The evangelicals dont support Israel, they want Israel to rebuild the damn Temple so that Jesus will walk amongst them once again. Why? Beats the hell out of me. What I don't understand is why they dont all just kill themselves? Surely it would get them to Jesus faster... No?

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think that they wanna be around for the celebration.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,192
    Why dont they just kill themselves? Do you honestly have to answer that? Why do you not kill yourself? Well thats pretty self evident. You want to live. Which is quite natural. Why would you think others dont? Especially when on believes in Christ and understands the price He paid that we might live.

As for the Temple. The temple doesnt signify the beginning of the end times. in fact its not needed till the end of it. The end times began a long time ago. However, people want to rush the end result. I dont. There is way too much to do before then and not enough people to do it with.

8. Denton

Denton Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    God said that He will bless those who bless ISrael and curse those who curse Israel.

Paul reminded the Christians not to get all uppity; the Jews were cut off for a time so that we would have the chance to be grafted into the family.

Jesus' parents were not Mr. and Mrs. Christ; He and they were Jewish. So were the heroes of the Old Covenant.

When the Church Age comes to an end and the Christians leave in a flash when the Great Restrainer is removed from the face of the Earth, God will redirect His attention to making darned sure that the Jews remember who He is, and will deal harshly with those who are against Him and have done wrong to Israel. At this time, our Jewish friends will recognize Christ for who He is and will turn to Him. This, we know, because Revelation makes it clear.

Considering these things, why wouldn't Christians feel compelled to support Israel? I don't need a lawyer turned TV preacher to tell me we oughta support our friends in Israel! :banana:

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,192
    Church age comes to an end?

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

There is no fate. The talmud has fully infiltrated the jewish religion and turned it into satan worship.