Why Emphasizing Manufacturing Jobs is a Mistake

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Toro, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,130
    Great article.

stone: Our White Collar Nation

2. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I've never heard a politician say "When my child grows up, I want them to have a job in a factory".

Nope, they just want everybody else child to have a job in a factory.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Maybe McDonald's is hiring more managers.

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,050
    Oh man. In my estimation, that is one of the dumbest, most ridiculous articles ever. It's difficult to know where to start.

Farming - increased production comes at a cost, fertilizer and pesticides and their overuse are ruining our drinking water, streams, rivers and oceans. Information is so easy to find on that, I will continue.

Not everyone can be an engineer. What about all those Republicans who live in poor states in trailers? With no manufacturing jobs, what are they going to do? Not everyone can work at a McDonald's. Those people already vote against their own self-interests in everything from health care and education to taxes and security.

Only 6% of scientists are Republican.

-----------------------

Consider your TV, car, refrigerator, stove, and calculator in the 1970s compared to what you have today. They are better, faster, safer, and more effective.

------------------------

Yea, and NOT made here. If only a few people can afford those things, only a few will be sold. That doesn't take a rocket scientist. Plus, you need people to FIX the machines that make the machines. Without a "liberal elitists education in science or engineering", what will those Republicans do?

------------------------

In the United States, the increase in white collar labor means that we are becoming a nation of thinkers -- web designers, engineers, marketers, IP lawyers, deal guys, inventors, dreamers, and mavericks.

-------------------------

Engineers, inventors, thinkers? Does that sound even remotely Republican? We're talking "Tea baggers" here.

Losing manufacturing is bad enough for the Democrats, but it's even more devastating for the country because now you have all those loony ARMED Republicans, angry and with nothing to do.

5. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    What kind of manufacturing plant do you want your child to work in?

6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,050
    First, a "child" shouldn't have to work in a factory.

Second, if it's a choice between a manufacturing plant and living on the street, then I would say, "A clean one that pays a fair salary".

Most Republicans have no idea what it takes to be an engineer or a scientist. For Christ sakes, they believe in "magical creation" and think education is, "Just a piece of paper". Many say that "peer review" is a lie. Ask a Republican what "peer review" is and 99% have no clue, they just "know" it's a lie.

7. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    As I have posted for some time, Manufacturing makes up less than ten percent of our economy. Ironically, that is still twice that of the next biggest manufacturing country which is Japan. I do not believe the Red Chinese claims that they have passed Japan.

8. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I meant adult children, but whatever, you knew that and chose to take the low road.
    Why are you using "Christ" to make your point? Are you one of those religious fundamental types?

Edit to add
    I never said it was an either/or choice. I asked an open question. You put some arbitrary limitation on it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,421
    One like I work in.

Wages = hourly wage plus profit sharing.

Made a bit over 100k last year, only a bit over 50k this year. Cadillac health care plan. Very good pension plan that does not depend on the continued existance of my company.
    And the best safety record in the steel industry.

The job I have is not only physically challenging, but also mentally challeging. The job satisfaction where I work is probably one of the highest of any company in the nation.

10. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Sounds like you you like your job and employer. Good deal.
    Cadillac health care plans will potentially see a tax increase for you based upon the current health care legislation, but other than that, sounds like you have what you want.