Why Electronics is the same, whether Consumer or Military: Part I

The GPS on your Droid/iPhone is more advanced than the guidance systems on America's nuclear ICBM fleet.

The more you know.

---

Rule of thumb: Military hardware is less advanced, more durable, and way overpriced.

Last edited:
The GPS on your Droid/iPhone is more advanced than the guidance systems on America's nuclear ICBM fleet.

The more you know.

---

Rule of thumb: Military hardware is less advanced, more durable, and way overpriced.

I think an ICMB can be off by 5 to 10 feet and still have an impact

In Part II, we are going to look at using “on/off” for doing math using an “on/off” (or digital) based calculator. We’ll begin with the meaning of “base 10, base 5 and base 2”.
Why don't you just post a link to wikipedia, saving yourself the hassle?

While discussing the dangers of moving electronic manufacturing to China, it became apparent that some have a misconception about the application of electronics in consumer products verses a military application.
The Taliban, using old laptops and portable satellite receptors you could pick up at an electronic junkyard, were able to hack our GPS/Drone satellites in a warzone.

Think about that.

---

China will surpass our military capabilities by 2020, and there's little we can do to stop them, short of blowing up whatever they build.

The more you know.

---

We rest the fate of the world upon a system we wouldn't trust with our automobiles. While Russia and China update/expand their ICBM fleets and develop IT Warfare Corps.

The more you know.

---

We rest the fate of the world upon a system we wouldn't trust with our automobiles. While Russia and China update/expand their ICBM fleets and develop IT Warfare Corps.

I doubt the Russians have even a single working ICBM. I think its all bluff and bluster to make our Boy President disarm and do their work for them. The firepower on USS Ronald Reagan could decimate the entire Russian conventional ground army.

As far as the ChiComs we can't sell military hardware fast enough to Taiwan

I doubt the Russians have even a single working ICBM. I think its all bluff and bluster to make our Boy President disarm and do their work for them. The firepower on USS Ronald Reagan could decimate the entire Russian conventional ground army.
Do you really think the Russians abandoned their thousands-strong ICBM fleet after the fall of the Berlin Wall, what with one billion Chinese lusting after Siberia?

As far as the ChiComs we can't sell military hardware fast enough to Taiwan
And they can't purchase our national debt fast enough for Obama & Friends.

I already pointed this out. Components may have a ceramic mounting or surface mounted components may have epoxy covering them or a casing may be steel instead of plastic, but these things are simple mechanical solutions, nothing to do with the electronics and certainly nothing that is classified.

Teach China how to make what we used to make and we will have no secrets they can't "figure out".

What if I popped in here and claimed there was no difference between Damascus steel and the typical period knife? Would you think I was crazy, or would you agree with me? If the former, I might be able to explain the difference between manufacturing a chip for a missile guidance system, and that in a calculator. If the latter, you are as hopeless as you sound.

Some years ago, a lot longer than I care to admit, I was contacted by a professor I had in school. He purchase a guidance computer at a surplus sale for about $25. It was so old, I think it came off a Redstone rocket. He asked if I could get the circuit diagram for him. When I checked on it, I found it was classified. It also cost the government about $400,000.

I think today, our most important secrets are not hardware but rather strategic plans. So much of the secret cutting edge technology proves to be impractical, unreliable, or so insanely expensive nobody but the US government has enough money to produce it.

At IBM they used a term called MICROCODE. I had a hell of a time getting someone to explain what microcode was because most people did not know. They didn't spread good comprehensible information around.

Almost all of these computers are von Neumann machines.

In the 90s the terms RISC and CISC became popular. These are two different design philosophies of von Neumann machines. Reduced Instruction Set Computer and Complex Instruction Set Computer. The CISC machine is a von Neumann machine inside of a von Neumann machine. The inner von Neumann machine executes very fast simple code to control the machine instructions of the outer von Neumann machine. That is the microcode.

Microcode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These days that microcode is built into the chip. So if we buy chips from foreign countries they could have hidden microcode to do almost anything. They chips could all fail on 9/11/2051. That is the trouble with complex clocked logic. It is not just transistors.

psik

How come the right never puts up links connected to the subject?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. It was already explained to me. Because they are only giving their "opinion".

Well, you know what they say about "opinions".........

Milspec electronic components must meet extra vibration, thermal, etc specs that are not required for consumer grade specs.

Also many milspec components are supposed to be "hardened" against EMP and such.
Not sure how they do that but it is there.

As was stated a transistor is a transistor, however it's toughness and capacity might be different.

A cell is a cell, so why did my last wife not look like a 10?
There is nothing special about mil parts. About 90% or more of the parts used in military equipment are mil parts. There are mil part numbers for nuts and bolts. Would you believe there are mil part numbers for Crucifixes. Some mil parts are designed to meet extremed environmental conditions but most are not. The only thing you can say for sure about mil parts is that they cost more commercial parts. A lot of military equipment today is build with commercial parts.

Look at any spec manual for semiconductors and check out the descriptions for suffix and the specs.
Mil spec chips used to be in a ceramic package while commercial was in plastic.
Not sure about the current packages though.

And yes probably lots more commercial grade components used in mil hardware now.

There is nothing secret in using ceramic. The electronics are still the same.

There is nothing special about mil parts. About 90% or more of the parts used in military equipment are mil parts. There are mil part numbers for nuts and bolts. Would you believe there are mil part numbers for Crucifixes. Some mil parts are designed to meet extremed environmental conditions but most are not. The only thing you can say for sure about mil parts is that they cost more commercial parts. A lot of military equipment today is build with commercial parts.

Look at any spec manual for semiconductors and check out the descriptions for suffix and the specs.
Mil spec chips used to be in a ceramic package while commercial was in plastic.
Not sure about the current packages though.

And yes probably lots more commercial grade components used in mil hardware now.

There is nothing secret in using ceramic. The electronics are still the same.

Here we go again.

Chinese Quality Hardware | MakeUseOf.com

Just keep repeating to yourself that all electronics is the same.

Forum List

Back