Why DRather is protecting his source....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fubar, Sep 17, 2004.

1. fubar

fubar Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Forging documents to commit fraud is a felony in Texas. National Guard units fall under the duel command of the Governor AND the US Army. Wonder what the Army has to say about these forged documents ?

If Kerry's campaign is behind this it also violates McCain/Feingold, more federal trouble.

isn't it illegal to protect a criminal forger , particularly when attacking the president ?

Wouldn't knowingly broadcasting the fraud on network television be considered an interstate crime, and thus a federally prosecutable offense ?

But CBS is trying to explain that the ends justify the means, the "heart of the story" is true.

The more I think about this the less amusing it becomes and the angrier I get.

2. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not too sure whether or not it is illegal to protect a criminal forger but I would hope that it being against the President made no difference whatsoever...equality under the law, he is not King.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

Its slander. The president is a US citizen and has rights too. He's just alittle more of a grown up about these things. Otherwise he could be rich 3000 times over for all the libelous stuff people have said in the public eye to defame his character.

As for this stuff, conspiracy to commit a felony is a felony. Rather is either a willing or un-witting accomplice in a felony. Therefore he can have charges pressed against him. The source though if found is in serious trouble. They need to stop F'in around and find the person that did this.

Imagine the round the clock coverage if a false document were made defaming president Clinton? The media would not let up till the culprit was found. Abu Gharib coverage would seem like one of those scrolling blurbs along the bottom compared to the media field day that would be had.

They need to get to the bottom of this. If people go unpunished for making up federal documents and getting them played on the air, what will be next?

4. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Conspiracy to commit a felony is not a felony by the way. There must be substantial steps taken to actualize the conspiracy. Not saying those steps havent been taken but conspiracy to commit a felony is not a felony.

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

According to California it is. (First thing on google that came up)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/182-185.html

6. fubar

fubar Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The creation, distribution/broadcast and continued protecting and defense of forged military records seems like fairly substantial steps to me.

We all know Dan Rather isn't going to Jail for this, but it would just be too much fun to find out that james carville was behind this, linking him, kerry, rather in a conspiracy that violated mccain feingold's 60 day rule and exposed CBS for the completely partisan organization it is.

Pat Buchannon's latest Worldnet Column:
    "Indeed, if these memos turn out to be fakes, CBS and Rather will be guilty of, at least, having been played for fools. At worst, they could be convicted in the court of public opinion of collusion in a plot to bring down a president – a plot into which they were lured by a blinding bias against George W. Bush."

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Wrong. Conspiracy to commit a felony is a crime. Verbal planning is all that is required, according to the military law class I took in college. And this is a federal case, since the forged memos were sent via fax.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Maybe Martha would be willing to decorate Dans, cell for him? :)

9. fubar

fubar Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wonder if Drather is as much a cowboy as he fancies himself ? What'll he do if the Justice Dept were to simply say " Forging military records is a crime and we are very interested in WHO created them."

Drather versus John Ashcroft. Not much of a contest is it?

10. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cospiracy is not a felony. There is a book out about how to assassinate Bush. Those guys are not arrested. There HAS to be substantial steps taken. Talking about it is not illegal. Do you want to start criminalizing thought?

If I talked with someone about pulling a D.C. type shooting then there would be no crime. If I went online and bought a sniper rifle then yes that would be a substantial step.

The law is NEVER cut and dry. Cospiring to commit a felony still requires a substantial step to realize such thought. Look deeply into the word "conspire" and I'm sure the case-law will show that merely discussing a matter will not pass the test.

That is unless a statute has been passed to supercede case-law but there will still be a definition of what it is to conspire in the statute.

And by the way: your post proves my point. Look at section 184:

"No agreement amounts to a conspiracy, unless some act, beside
    such agreement, be done within this state to effect the object
    thereof, by one or more of the parties to such agreement and the
    trial of cases of conspiracy may be had in any county in which any
    such act be done."

Your post shows that the mere act of conspiring is not a felony, there must be "some act".