Why Don't You Believe in a God?

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Just out of curiousity and maybe to provoke believers, would all of you atheists, agnostics, etc. please share as briefly as you reasonably can why you either never believed in a God or why you stopped and why you continue to not believe still.

I never believed. As a kid I was forced to attend church. The message of believe or go to Hell always pushed my "RESIST" button. I also perceived the chanting, singing, and condemnation of things like homosexuality, D&D (which I was into as a kid), magic, etc. as somewhat unreasoned and cult-like. I couldn't relate with those people who raised their hands in the air as though they could physically feel something and I didn't understand the logic behind praying: didn't God already know their thoughts, didn't He already know for what they were praying, and hadn't He already made up His mind about the matter loooong before? I was forced to go to Catholic Church after my mother married one when I was 7, and I thought it scary and depressing. I was kicked out of Methodist church at the age of 16 for getting angry about the comdemnation of homosexuality and arguing with the Bible school teacher. I angered the youth pastor of a non-denominational church when I was 17 for asking about fossils and shooting down his not-very-good arguments using the Bible's quotes about "dragons". I saw Bible-thumpers comdemning women wearing pants or working on street corners and heard how woman were subjects of men. I wondered why sex was so bad according to Christian puritanical beliefs. I found the overly made-up evangelical wives and the inflammatory speeches given on Christian television shows and channels to be repugnant and full of intolerance. I heard all of the circular logic we're all familiar with: "I know God exists because I read the Bible.", etc. I saw the hypocrisy of Christianity: how Jesus lived and what he taught and how it had been perverted in the following millenia. I think those experiences only reinforced my resistance to the churches' teachings.

As I grew older and relied more on logic, analytical thought, and education as methods of understanding the world, religion only became more ridiculous as a way of obtaining truth. I saw all of the similiarities of all the different religions and wondered how one would know that their religion was the right one. Instead it seemed that it was about not truly understanding life and truth but about emotional comfort, a sense of belonging, a continuance of having an all-powerful parent (as you perceived your own parents as a child), of not having to wonder about why or how to live, about fear of death and meaningless, etc. etc.

And so I continue to not believe today. In my years of reading, traveling, and experiences I have yet to find evidence supporting an all powerful, supernatural creator but have perceived much that refutes any such being.

What is your story?

Just out of curiousity and maybe to provoke believers, would all of you atheists, agnostics, etc. please share as briefly as you reasonably can why you either never believed in a God or why you stopped and why you continue to not believe still.

I never believed. As a kid I was forced to attend church. The message of believe or go to Hell always pushed my "RESIST" button. I also perceived the chanting, singing, and condemnation of things like homosexuality, D&D (which I was into as a kid), magic, etc. as somewhat unreasoned and cult-like. I couldn't relate with those people who raised their hands in the air as though they could physically feel something and I didn't understand the logic behind praying: didn't God already know their thoughts, didn't He already know for what they were praying, and hadn't He already made up His mind about the matter loooong before? I was forced to go to Catholic Church after my mother married one when I was 7, and I thought it scary and depressing. I was kicked out of Methodist church at the age of 16 for getting angry about the comdemnation of homosexuality and arguing with the Bible school teacher. I angered the youth pastor of a non-denominational church when I was 17 for asking about fossils and shooting down his not-very-good arguments using the Bible's quotes about "dragons". I saw Bible-thumpers comdemning women wearing pants or working on street corners and heard how woman were subjects of men. I wondered why sex was so bad according to Christian puritanical beliefs. I found the overly made-up evangelical wives and the inflammatory speeches given on Christian television shows and channels to be repugnant and full of intolerance. I heard all of the circular logic we're all familiar with: "I know God exists because I read the Bible.", etc. I saw the hypocrisy of Christianity: how Jesus lived and what he taught and how it had been perverted in the following millenia. I think those experiences only reinforced my resistance to the churches' teachings.

As I grew older and relied more on logic, analytical thought, and education as methods of understanding the world, religion only became more ridiculous as a way of obtaining truth. I saw all of the similiarities of all the different religions and wondered how one would know that their religion was the right one. Instead it seemed that it was about not truly understanding life and truth but about emotional comfort, a sense of belonging, a continuance of having an all-powerful parent (as you perceived your own parents as a child), of not having to wonder about why or how to live, about fear of death and meaningless, etc. etc.

And so I continue to not believe today. In my years of reading, traveling, and experiences I have yet to find evidence supporting an all powerful, supernatural creator but have perceived much that refutes any such being.

What is your story?

For me, since I was a kid I always thought God to be love. Love is unconditional, accepting, giving, it has no expections, judges you not, asks not for recognition, just acceptance. Doesn't demand nor threaten you. Doesn't shun you when you lose your way. Doesn't demand you beg its forgiveness if you do. Love doesn't need to be recognized, just held. The minute I realized those born of God, forgot the love of God.... is the minute I realized there is no such thing as God. .

Last edited:
Reading all the assholes here who do believe in god is enough to turn anyone off the invisible superbeing in another dimension. But I'm an agnostic because no one can presents ANY solid proof that a god exists. Anyone who's half intelligent should be able to deduce that nothing's actually been proven yet.

Religion is based on faith not scientific evidence. I've had some bad experiences with so-called religious people, but that has not turned me away from my faith. My faith is not based on a person or a church. It is a reassuring feeling that there is a higher being. Who do you turn to if you don't believe in a god?

Reading all the assholes here who do believe in god is enough to turn anyone off the invisible superbeing in another dimension. But I'm an agnostic because no one can presents ANY solid proof that a god exists. Anyone who's half intelligent should be able to deduce that nothing's actually been proven yet.

No, youre agnostic because you expect others to prove things to you instead of getting up off your ass and doing the work necessary to find out for yourself.

Anyone who is even have intelligent knows that when God speaks to you its pretty damn stupid to ignore Him.

Religion is based on faith not scientific evidence. I've had some bad experiences with so-called religious people, but that has not turned me away from my faith. My faith is not based on a person or a church. It is a reassuring feeling that there is a higher being. Who do you turn to if you don't believe in a god?

Who I turn to for what? For comfort and strength, I turn to my loved ones and friends. For understanding the world, I turn to history, science, knowledge, and my own experiences. For fear of death and meaninglessness, I turn to myself to have the courage and positivity and understanding to deal with those things as they are.

No, youre agnostic because you expect others to prove things to you instead of getting up off your ass and doing the work necessary to find out for yourself.

That's an assumption and a very flawed one at that.

Why look for evidence of leprechauns and fairies? Why look for evidence of Zeus? Why look for evidence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Its preposterous that those things exist, so why try to prove them?

Anyone who is even have intelligent knows that when God speaks to you its pretty damn stupid to ignore Him.

What if God hasn't spoken to you? How has God spoken to you? And couldn't that be diagnosed as schizophrenia?

That's an assumption and a very flawed one at that.

Why look for evidence of leprechauns and fairies? Why look for evidence of Zeus? Why look for evidence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Its preposterous that those things exist, so why try to prove them?

Why is it prepostrous that those things exist? Have you seen conclusive evidence to the contrary? Have you tried to find out for yourself?

And is it too much that someone might think it important enough to learn the truth that they would actually seek it out?

What if God hasn't spoken to you? How has God spoken to you? And couldn't that be diagnosed as schizophrenia?

Then make your best judgment call. However, if you seek Him out He will respond. But it requires humility and sincerity. And He knows when people are faking and not.

And no, it cant be. Because its not.

When you are looking for any reason to disbelieve, you will never come to the truth of the matter. But if you are honestly seeking the truth, youll find it.

my gf. At least I can prove that she's real.

Avatar, why should I look for something that a) isn't there. b) I don't even give a crap if it would be there anyways. Like, who fucking cares? and c) if it did exist, then it's tied with Osama bin Laden for the champion of hide n' seek. and not to forget d) It's way too weenie to show its face.

Why is it prepostrous that those things exist? Have you seen conclusive evidence to the contrary? Have you tried to find out for yourself?]

Because there is no evidence that such things exist, and lots of evidence which support that they don't. There are other more important matters one should spend one's life doing other than proving that innumerable things which do not exist, do not exist.

And is it too much that someone might think it important enough to learn the truth that they would actually seek it out?

That's a matter of opinion. I don't think its important to spend my time trying to prove God exists. There is enough evidence against God's existence that I will spend my time doing other things which are more important to me.

Then make your best judgment call. However, if you seek Him out He will respond. But it requires humility and sincerity. And He knows when people are faking and not.

And I would be faking it because I can't believe. I wouldn't know which religion to begin with, and I would have to disbelieve all of my life experiences which support that a supernatural all-powerful creator (as is described by all known organized religions on Earth) doesn't exist.

And no, it cant be. Because its not.

That is also a matter of opinion and point of view, now isn't it. I would say (and so would many mental health professionals) you are mentally ill, and you would say that we're going to Hell to burn for eternity.

When you are looking for any reason to disbelieve, you will never come to the truth of the matter. But if you are honestly seeking the truth, youll find it.

I'm not looking for reasons to disbelieve. In fact, I want to believe that there is something more. Unfortunately, there have been no reasons forthcoming for me to believe.

Last edited:

my gf. At least I can prove that she's real.

:eusa_whistle:

Avatar, why should I look for something that a) isn't there. b) I don't even give a crap if it would be there anyways. Like, who fucking cares? and c) if it did exist, then it's tied with Osama bin Laden for the champion of hide n' seek. and not to forget d) It's way too weenie to show its face.

Like I said, If you cared about truth you would seek out all the knowledge there is. But if youd rather live in misery that's fine.

Your reasoning, not surprisingly, is extremely faulty. You don't know God isnt there. You admit it yourself that you are agnostic and dont care to look. God is about as difficult to find as your computer if you are actually trying to look for Him. But if your apathetic and more than willing to remain in ignorance on the subject, then why would God reveal Himself to you? Why would He condemn you by giving you knowledge you dont want and wont act upon?

God exists and speaks to anyone who seeks and who listens. The problem is so few do either that most of the world remains ignorant to the truth. Its easier to expect others to do all the work for you. Thinking and learning for yourself takes effort. Most people are too apathetic to try.

But apathy doesnt lead to happiness. Quite the opposite. It kills the soul.

However, I expect youll continue to ignore what Im saying and probably continue to laugh. And im sure youll proclaim yourself brilliant and wise for doing so. All and all, it's pretty pathetic.

I'm pathetic? Ya, that carries a lot of weight from someone whose god is an alien from another planet. How did you find that shit even REMOTELY believable? Seriously.

What is your story?

;) :razz:

Because there is no evidence that such things exist, and lots of evidence which support that they don't. There are other more important matters one should spend one's life doing other than proving that innumerable things which do not exist, do not exist.

So simply because you havent seen or believed the evidence it doesnt exist? How do you know it doesnt exist unless you investigate?

That's a matter of opinion. I don't think its important to spend my time trying to prove God exists. There is enough evidence against God's existence that I will spend my time doing other things which are more important to me.

Then you choose not to seek out, that's fine. But that doesnt mean you are going to find out anything if you expect others to do your work.

And I would be faking it because I can't believe. I wouldn't know which religion to begin with, and I would have to disbelieve all of my life experiences which support that a supernatural all-powerful creator (as is described by all known organized religions on Earth) doesn't exist.

And I would have to ignore personal revelatory experience with the Lord God Almighty to ever once again consider that He doesnt exist. I stopped disbelieving years ago when I found out for myself. I had no clue whether there was a God or not. But I wasnt foolish enough to expect anyone else other than me to do the work I needed to find out.

That is also a matter of opinion and point of view, now isn't it. I would say (and so would many mental health professionals) you are mentally ill, and you would say that we're going to Hell to burn for eternity.

It could be equally argued that you are mentally ill for ignoring the world around you and closing yourself off to the possibilities of things you dont already believe.

But then Im not so arogant as to tell someone they are mentally ill beause they disagree with me or have experiences I havent.

I'm not looking for reasons to disbelieve. In fact, I want to believe that there is something more. Unfortunately, there have been no reasons forthcoming for me to believe.

If you want to believe then experiment on the Word and the Lord will reveal Himself. But you cant expect something for nothing.

I'm pathetic? Ya, that carries a lot of weight from someone whose god is an alien from another planet. How did you find that shit even REMOTELY believable? Seriously.

Could you explain to me where on earth do you think God is from? And if God is not from earth or on earth, where exactly do you think He is? And would consider the Supreme being of the Universe to be an alien from another Planet then?

Your objections are naive and foolish. You have no clue what you are objecting to. You havent thunk about any of this deeper than the shallow end of a kiddie pool.

No, instead youd rather paint caracitures. I understand why. you cant deal with fact.

Could you explain to me where on earth do you think God is from? And if God is not from earth or on earth, where exactly do you think He is? And would consider the Supreme being of the Universe to be an alien from another Planet then?

Your objections are naive and foolish. You have no clue what you are objecting to. You havent thunk about any of this deeper than the shallow end of a kiddie pool.

No, instead youd rather paint caracitures. I understand why. you cant deal with fact.

ok, show me some "facts" about your god being an alien from another planet. btw, is it a real planet that we can see through hubble?
I don't believe that god has even been proven to exist.
I'm naive and foolish? LOL, ya sure.:lol:

If someone believes in God, that doesn't make them an asshole. Calling them as such makes you an arsehole of the first degree...and an ignorant one at that.

Forum List

Back