Why Don't We Drill in the U.S. for Oil?

We want to get off of foreign oil, correct? Then why don't we drill here for it? I mean, within the U.S. (on land)?

I imagine for the same reasons a meth addict doesn't choose to make his own meth rather than buying from the dealers. He doesn't have the knowledge or means to sustain his addiction forever, and once it runs out or collapses he's back at the dealer's, anyway. Instead the healthier thing to do would be kick the addiction altogether, instead of making it from home.

Can it be said you're addicted to that which enables you to be prosperous?

Who bastardizes the language so?

This line of reasoning is something similar to someone who is addicted to cocaine talking about it makes them work better because they have more energy.

Can it be said you're addicted to that which enables you to be prosperous?

Who bastardizes the language so?

Prosperous? Hrm, well I guess prosperity in my metaphor is similar to the meth addict getting a high from his drugs. But shouldn't we not have to get high from our drugs? Shouldn't we get natural highs from life, like we tell our kids? Isn't that form of prosperity healthier than the other one? You can always get high on life, but only on meth until the meth runs out.

Are all the other countries which desire to surpass the productivity of the US, and are signing foreign oil contracts as fast as they can, addicted fo foreign oil?

Well you tell me Revere. We ignore alternate energy options, what happens the day when some if not all of those countries run out of their supply of their drug of choice (oil)? Well hey, those other guys have it! Let's go take it from them!

You're ignoring the future while having an obtuse and unrealistic view of the present.

Yeah, only idiots would suggest the US take a step backward industrially and abandon oil, while the rest of the superpowers in the developed world are exploring for as much as they can.

You clearly did not bother to read any of the posts in this thread or pay attention to reality at all. Nobody is suggesting we abandon oil tomorrow. However, we need to focus on alternate energy options instead of just moving full speed ahead with the solution in mind being that drilling in places like Alaska will solve all of our problems.

Why don't you go read some of my previous posts in this thread and make a intelligent conclusion from that?

The U.S and the rest of the developed world are exploring for oil as much as they can because they are addicted. Much like a heroin addict tears apart his home trying to find a little piece to get his fix after he ran out.

Face reality, we're going to run out of oil eventually. The day is coming sooner rather than later due to the rise of superpowers in countries such as China and India. The longer you want to ignore such facts, the longer you only hurt yourself by not looking at the full picture.

Superpowers are superpowers because of oil.

Ah yes, oil, the magically superpower-granting substance that raises countries to deified gods. Once a country gets a hold of oil, no matter what its size, shape, stamina, economy, it too can compete with the greatest powers in the world from oil alone. Any other alternative source of energy will automatically revert that country to third-world country status, to be picked on by all the other Western nations when it comes time for recess.

Ah yes, oil, the magically superpower-granting substance that raises countries to deified gods. Once a country gets a hold of oil, no matter what its size, shape, stamina, economy, it too can compete with the greatest powers in the world from oil alone. Any other alternative source of energy will automatically revert that country to third-world country status, to be picked on by all the other Western nations when it comes time for recess.

Even the great country of Petoria!

Superpowers are superpowers because of oil.

The difference between countries with prosperous people and countries with poor people is oil.

The difference between countries with prosperous people and countries with poor people is oil.

Except all countries have prosperous and poor people. Even the U.S has poor people and Somalia has prosperous people. Also, last I checked, some of the biggest oil exporters in the world are also some of the poorest.

So using your argument, Saudi Arabia and Iran should be two of the world's largest superpowers. As I'm sure Nigeria and Algeria are as well.

Except all countries have prosperous and poor people. Even the U.S has poor people and Somalia has prosperous people. Also, last I checked, some of the biggest oil exporters in the world are also some of the poorest.

So using your argument, Saudi Arabia and Iran should be two of the world's largest superpowers. As I'm sure Nigeria and Algeria are as well.

Iran and Saudi Arabia have tremendous wealth and power due to oil and governments that effectively explore and develop it.

We want to get off of foreign oil, correct? Then why don't we drill here for it? I mean, within the U.S. (on land)?

Right wingers don't seem to understand that oil companies pay for leases to drill. Any oil discovered goes on the open market. There is no reason for it to be used here. This is a capitalistic society, not communist China. If the price starts to fall, the oil companies hold back to jack the prices back up.

It's hilarious that right wingers scream for "capitalism" and then whine about actual "capitalism".

I imagine for the same reasons a meth addict doesn't choose to make his own meth rather than buying from the dealers. He doesn't have the knowledge or means to sustain his addiction forever, and once it runs out or collapses he's back at the dealer's, anyway. Instead the healthier thing to do would be kick the addiction altogether, instead of making it from home.
Oh yeah, that's an equivalent comparison. :rolleyes: Meth to oil. Fire up the steam calliope the circus is back in town.

funny-pictures-owls-twisted-head.jpg

Forum List

Back