Why don't most Americans support a "Public Option" for health insurance?

It's simple. The private sector makes money whereas the government wastes money.

You're right. No more education, no more roads, no more defense support for Kevin Kennedy.
Well I guess we should cut that waste out starting with the military budget

4 3 2 1 and someone will tell you but but but the military is mandated by the Consitution!!!!!!!!!!!

David/NY out of the 3 things you listed the only responsibility of the federal government is Defense. It is in the constitution.

Education and roads are state/local issues not federal issues, just like health insurance.

Social security was declared constitutional in the thirties.

please explain to me how expanding the country by purchasing land (at a bargain rate) and having the idea of building a road to help expand and to help commerce is the same as saying the government should provide healthcare to every person in the country?

Even the founders realized that the fedral gov was going to have to do certain things that the states could not accomplish to further the life and well General welfare of the country.

Jefferson bought land nad Madison built the first federal roads.

You guys can come up with a few quotes but actions speak louder than words

please explain to me how expanding the country by purchasing land (at a bargain rate) and having the idea of building a road to help expand and to help commerce is the same as saying the government should provide healthcare to every person in the country?

where under your interpetation of the constitution is his right to take federal money to buy land?

also Jefferson didn't just purchase the Lousiana purchase and call it a day...He made the deal then went to the Senate.

The Senate ratified the treaty Oct. 20 by a vote of 24 to 7. Spain, upset by the sale but without the military power to block it, formally returned Louisiana to France on Nov. 30. France officially transferred the territory to the Americans on Dec. 20, and the United States took formal possession on Dec. 30.

And under your interpetation of the constitution he did not have the right to do this huh.

TM makes a good point. Both Jefferson and Madison did things during their Presidency that went against the Constitution, such as the Louisiana Purchase. Obviously the Constitution does not allow for the federal government to purchase land. However, the fact that power corrupts doesn't negate the fact that the Constitution was meant to be interpreted as it was written by those who wrote it. The statements of the founders in the Federalist Papers and elsewhere make it clear that the only legitimate powers of the federal government are explicitly listed in the Constitution, and it was with that assurance that the states ratified the Constitution.

The Post Office, for example, would have been out of business long ago had it not been for the government, which means that it's not helping our economy but draining it.

What would take the place of the Post Office if it disappeared? And don't even begin to claim UPS and FedEx would, because while that could work for mail delivery in cities, it surely wouldn't work in more rural areas.

Really? You mean no one in rural areas uses UPS or FedEx? Really?

no one uses it, or people in rural areas have very limited access to it?

I have 6 day-a-week FedEx and UPS access. Latest pick up is 8:30 p.m. and sometimes they do it later if it's a Friday.

And you? In your rural area without a car?

And then they sumarily were unable to live up to their own ideas of what it should mean.

They settled on the promoting the general welfare interpetation instead of watching the Union die a slow death of not being able to support the commerse that would keep the country alive.

You wish to follow their little quotes instead of allowing the rest of us Americans to follow their actions and continue to do what needs to be done to to support the commerse with general welfare that will keep this country alive and able to compete in a world market.

There is many reasons why you cant find many converts, Jefferson and Madison dont even agrree with you.

And then they sumarily were unable to live up to their own ideas of what it should mean.

They settled on the promoting the general welfare interpetation instead of watching the Union die a slow death of not being able to support the commerse that would keep the country alive.

You wish to follow their little quotes instead of allowing the rest of us Americans to follow their actions and continue to do what needs to be done to to support the commerse with general welfare that will keep this country alive and able to compete in a world market.

There is many reasons why you cant find many converts, Jefferson and Madison dont even agrree with you.

They never qualified what they did by saying the general welfare clause allowed them to do so, they simply ignored the Constitution.

so now you hate your own heros huh?

When have I ever claimed they were my heroes, or that I hate them? I believe in the principles of limited government as espoused by them, and the fact that the Constitution was ratified with the assurance from the people that wrote it that it couldn't be used to create an all-powerful federal government able to do whatever it wants.

And even the founders could not keep the country alive under your strict constructionist ideas.

It really boosted commerce by giving a great port to the country.

The roads are still a massive part of how we stay on top.

You people dont think things all the way through.

What if it was all still part of France

Forum List

Back