Why don't libertarians join the Tea Party?

Semantics.

Sort of, but not really. An example, social liberals, so called, generally support marriage equality, which means they want the state to sanction the marriage of gay couples. A libertarian probably isn't bothered by gay people getting married, however, we're far more interested in getting the government out of the marriage business all together. We don't want the government defining marriage at all. That's not "socially liberal."

No, they simply understand and follow equal protection jurisprudence, where same-sex couples are allowed access to marriage law.

And there is no such thing as ‘getting government out of marriage.’ Marriage is contract law, written by the states and administered by state courts.

So, like I said.

The Tea Party used to be all Libertarians. Then Republicans hijacked and perverted it.

How the Hell did you come to that conclusion? The Tea Party hijacked the republican Party and made us all sound like gay hating fools. The Tea Party is doing everything in their power to demolish the GOP and handed the general to Obama. no one wants to vote for a person who conforms their relatively sane views to those of people who believe the world is four thousand years old. Please just understand that in no way do us Republicans want anything to do with you.

I checked the Libertarian 2012 platform ratified in Vegas and it seems to advocate the rights we enjoy today courtesy of the Bill of Rights. It's interesting that the Libertarian platform rejects government licensing of human relationships so I guess sissie marriage is off the table. Nowhere does the Libertarian platform advocate the legalization of marijuana but I guess the pot heads see the fantasy of a Libertarian election as a open door for drug use. Say it you freaking cowards. Tell Americans that the only agenda on the libertarian platform is drug use and see how many votes you get.

Dude Sissy Marriage and Pot? I envy those who have the time to worry about what two men do in the privacy of their own home and if some guy gets high every now and then. Who gives a shit? Thats why no one will take the Tea Party seriously and why us actual Republicans want nothing to do with you. start concerning yourself with actual problems and not some homoerotic infatuation with banning gay marriage. get with our economic problems and add something productive or go back to shooting Coors cans off of a fance.

The Tea Party is really just a more fundamentalist republican group. Civil libertarians and liberals rightly shun them for what they are.

I remember watching the debates and a woman asking Romney how we can be sure that he is not another "W". The idiot tried to make nice and not throw him under the bus, big mistake. "W" spent like an idiot, started wars abroad, and created one of the biggest entitlements in US history. Why they called this man a conservative is a mystery to me.

All this talk about the GOP needing to move towards the center is baffling to me. You hear it every year and the more they do it the more they lose elections. If the democrat party is so enticing then join it.

From my vantage point, the libertarians appeal to both parties but also repel them at the same time. For example, some in the GOP are enticed by the talk of fiscal restraint and limited government, but are fearful of talk of decreased spending miltarily and withdrawing militarily from the world stage. They are also fearful of the legalization of drugs and gay marriage and lax immigration laws. I think abortion is split 50/50 within the Libertarian camp and is still an issue up for grabs.

Conversely, the democrats like the idea of legalized pot and other drugs and gay marriage and inwardly like the idea of military constraint. However, the nanny state reigns supreme and anything that threatens it will be crushed accordingly. There is no compromise because they view the nanny state as a Constitutional right and the ultimate purpose of a government.

So how must the libertarian approach these dilemmas? To start of with, gay marriage should not even be an issue. Just support a position that government should not be involved in marriage at all. There will be some push back from the GOP, but if they are for the limited government they claim to support then they must conceed the point. Likewise, the democrats will fight the limitation of government in any capacity and see this as a way to bypass the gay lifestyle being endorsed by the state. However to argue why people should be given benefits merely for a monogomous sexual union would ultimately be indefensible and would be entertaining to watch in a debate. Ultimately the gay marriage issue could be a slam dunk and actually gain support for the movement.

The legalization of drugs would be a harder sell I think, but could also be overcome.
In terms of abortion, just shrug your shoulders and say that the nation is divided on the issue because it is. Then add that the primary role of government is being overlooked here which is tending to immediate threats to the survival of the Republic. Then say that the primary threat is the mounting debt.

Now this is where it gets ugly. I think Americans have been sold on the idea of the Nanny state. The libertarians will be demonized much in the same way the GOP is being demonized now for wanting to reduce spending and people will buy into just as they are now. Unfortunately, for this reason I think the movement is doomed. Then again, crisis is the catalyst for change, so when, not if, the nation faces a crisis because of the out of control spending it will be time to pounce. I think this the only way to convince people that Dick Cheney was wrong, deficits do actually matter.

Last edited:
I remember watching the debates and a woman asking Romney how we can be sure that he is not another "W". The idiot tried to make nice and not throw him under the bus, big mistake. "W" spent like an idiot, started wars abroad, and created one of the biggest entitlements in US history. Why they called this man a conservative is a mystery to me.

All this talk about the GOP needing to move towards the center is baffling to me. You hear it every year and the more they do it the more they lose elections. If the democrat party is so enticing then join it.

From my vantage point, the libertarians appeal to both parties but also repel them at the same time. For example, some in the GOP are enticed by the talk of fiscal restraint and limited government, but are fearful of talk of decreased spending miltarily and withdrawing militarily from the world stage. They are also fearful of the legalization of drugs and gay marriage and lax immigration laws. I think abortion is split 50/50 within the Libertarian camp and is still an issue up for grabs.

Conversely, the democrats like the idea of legalized pot and other drugs and gay marriage and inwardly like the idea of military constraint. However, the nanny state reigns supreme and anything that threatens it will be crushed accordingly. There is no compromise because they view the nanny state as a Constitutional right and the ultimate purpose of a government.

So how must the libertarian approach these dilemmas? To start of with, gay marriage should not even be an issue. Just support a position that government should not be involved in marriage at all. There will be some push back from the GOP, but if they are for the limited government they claim to support then they must conceed the point. Likewise, the democrats will fight the limitation of government in any capacity and see this as a way to bypass the gay lifestyle being endorsed by the state. However to argue why people should be given benefits merely for a monogomous sexual union would ultimately be indefensible and would be entertaining to watch in a debate. Ultimately the gay marriage issue could be a slam dunk and actually gain support for the movement.

The legalization of drugs would be a harder sell I think, but could also be overcome.
In terms of abortion, just shrug your shoulders and say that the nation is divided on the issue because it is. Then add that the primary role of government is being overlooked here which is tending to immediate threats to the survival of the Republic. Then say that the primary threat is the mounting debt.

Now this is where it gets ugly. I think Americans have been sold on the idea of the Nanny state. The libertarians will be demonized much in the same way the GOP is being demonized now for wanting to reduce spending and people will buy into just as they are now. Unfortunately, for this reason I think the movement is doomed. Then again, crisis is the catalyst for change, so when, not if, the nation faces a crisis because of the out of control spending it will be time to pounce. I think this the only way to convince people that Dick Cheney was wrong, deficits do actually matter.

The problem is that we make issues out of things that should be simple fixes.
-Military spending: We outspend the next 25 nations on the list of military expenses and most of them are allies. Cutting it back a little is a fiscally responsible thing to do.
-Gay marriage: A civil issue that the bible and religon have no place in. We have bigger problems to deal with without having to hold hearings on basic human equality. it is an indefensable point to revoke gay marriage because it is a civil issue.
-Drugs: I am guessing you are talking about pot. We need to seriously consider the details of its legalization and enforce strict guidelines, but besides for that its going to occur whether hard line conservatives want it or not.
The economy: The only valid issue to argue over. We will be able to demonize the nanny state and I dont believe Americans are as sold on it as the Dems believe they are. Conservative economic values still have a very strong following in this country. We dont want to continue spending, but we need to first appear credible. Lets attack the economic issue from the ground up. providing jobs is the only way the majority of Americans will see Repub ideas as viable because the deficit just isnt as important to people as their next meal, even though it has serious long term consequences. We can attract people with sensible economic responsibility, sensible tax cuts and funding cuts where we can afford them.

Forum List

Back