Why Don't Dems Want Obamacare for Themselves?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone else heard about the Fleming Pledge, aka House Resolution 615? Rep. John Fleming (R-La.) introduced House Resolution 615 which would oblige any member of Congress voting in favor of a government run health care bill to leave their private insurance plan and join the Democrats’ “public option” plan.

In other words, anyone who thinks this plan is so spiffy that the rest of the country should be stuck with it, then they should put their money where their mouths are and promise to accept Obamacare for themselves.

So far, the entire Republican leadership has signed this pledge. Not one Democrat has, though.

Says Fleming, “Congress and Washington in general have become sort of a ruling elite. We have a bad habit of passing laws that subject the population to all sorts of problems and headaches, yet we exempt ourselves. So I think it’s time the American people hold Congress accountable. If Congress thinks that there should be a public plan, which would effectually lead to Canadian-style/United Kingdom-style socialized medicine, then they should be the first to sign up for it.”

Amen, brother.

Fleming also addressed claims Democrat members were making from the House floor yesterday that their health care bill would offer the same plans that a member of Congress gets to choose from.

“That is absolutely incorrect,” Fleming said. “The public option plan is what people on Medicaid have today. Government funded, government run, government regulations, very restricted, one-size-fits-all. What we have in Congress today in the Federal Employees Benefits Plan is really an exchange. I can go on an internet site and I can choose from hundreds of private insurance plans. In fact, the private insurance plan that I’m on is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Louisiana, which is no better, no less certainly, than any other good private plan, but it is a private insurance plan. It is not a government plan.”

“To suggest that somehow Congressional members are under a government run healthcare plan, that is not the truth,” Fleming said. “We enjoy private insurance and will continue to do so even under the Democrats’ plan even though most of the nation will be pulled off of private insurance and onto a Medicare-style insurance program.”

Well, well. You mean the Democrats have been lying? Say it ain't so.

If Obamacare is so damned wonderful, why don't the Democrats peddling it want to be on it?

I agree. Let those folks put their money where their mouth is. Everybody should contact their Congressional representatives and demand this.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Nice find Cecilie. Thanks for the post and the link.

Your damn right they should sign up for it. If it's all that and a bag of chips . . . . why would they not, right?

I think we should actually skip right past this resolution and this specific issue and find some ballsy Congressmember to propose an actual law requiring Congress to abide by EVERY law they pass and impose on everyone else. The average American would be shocked to realize how much stuff Congress actually exempts itself from, while assuring the rest of us how wonderful we'll find it and how much we need it.

Forum List

Back