Why don't black Americans swim?

I read through all the posts here because I didn't want to repeat this if someone else had already mentioned it. I saw this subject discussed on some program several months ago, and it was being discussed in the context of differences in body structures of races (i.e., Asians are small boned, etc.). White people have a bone structure that results in a longer torso, and it's therefore easier to swim. Blacks have longer legs which puts the naval ("point of balance") higher, and thus are better runners and basketball players. Seriously.

The Takeaway: Black People Better Runners, White People Better Swimmers: Race, Science, and Athletics - The Takeaway

And as a swimming instructor... i will flat tell you that race and or body structure made NO DIFFERENCE in the ability to swim or float.
a friend of mine was a swimming instructor, and he is black

damn if that don't beat the stereotypes

I read through all the posts here because I didn't want to repeat this if someone else had already mentioned it. I saw this subject discussed on some program several months ago, and it was being discussed in the context of differences in body structures of races (i.e., Asians are small boned, etc.). White people have a bone structure that results in a longer torso, and it's therefore easier to swim. Blacks have longer legs which puts the naval ("point of balance") higher, and thus are better runners and basketball players. Seriously.

The Takeaway: Black People Better Runners, White People Better Swimmers: Race, Science, and Athletics - The Takeaway

And as a swimming instructor... i will flat tell you that race and or body structure made NO DIFFERENCE in the ability to swim or float.

Maybe you should ask for an interview with the scientists who wrote the paper and tell them about your hands-on experience then.

Maybe you should ask for an interview with the scientists who wrote the paper and tell them about your hands-on experience then.

I charge to much.

However just because body shape is "better suited" for some sports does not make it a reason for not participating or learning in different sport.

Its just like having a "dancers body". Having large breasts is not conducive for a classic "dancers" body. That didn't stop me from having dance classes or participating in all forms of dance.

All of this is bull shit looking for excuses for racial reasons WHY blacks don't know how to swim. I will say it again LAZY PARENTS.

I charge to much.

However just because body shape is "better suited" for some sports does not make it a reason for not participating or learning in different sport.

Its just like having a "dancers body". Having large breasts is not conducive for a classic "dancers" body. That didn't stop me from having dance classes or participating in all forms of dance.

All of this is bull shit looking for excuses for racial reasons WHY blacks don't know how to swim. I will say it again LAZY PARENTS.

That doesn't even make sense. Unless you are claiming that only black parents can be lazy, which isn't true.

It's not laziness, and it's not cuz blacks are scared their are sharks in a pool, good Lord. It's simply a matter of culture. PERIOD.

Blacks just don't identify culturally with swimming. Just like the white people I grew up with didn't identify with playing basketball in the inner city. Just like some kid living in southern Texas didn't grow up snow skiing. Etc etc etc.

All this bullshit of blacks are different or whatever is just that , bullshit. Put a black kid in what is normally considered white surroundings and guess what? He adapts , just as a white kid would in a black environment.

Whites aren't superior, and blacks aren't inferior, and there are people on BOTH sides of the spectrum who should be ashamed of their selves for perpetuating the myth that either is the case.

I charge to much.

That doesn't even make sense. Unless you are claiming that only black parents can be lazy, which isn't true.

It's not laziness, and it's not cuz blacks are scared their are sharks in a pool, good Lord. It's simply a matter of culture. PERIOD.

Blacks just don't identify culturally with swimming. Just like the white people I grew up with didn't identify with playing basketball in the inner city. Just like some kid living in southern Texas didn't grow up snow skiing. Etc etc etc.

All this bullshit of blacks are different or whatever is just that , bullshit. Put a black kid in what is normally considered white surroundings and guess what? He adapts , just as a white kid would in a black environment.

Whites aren't superior, and blacks aren't inferior, and there are people on BOTH sides of the spectrum who should be ashamed of their selves for perpetuating the myth that either is the case.

I am not saying anything about blacks. I am saying if kids, black or otherwise, don't know who to swim it is the fault of LAZY parents who do not teach them how to swim or do not have them taught.

The culture thing just doesn't fly with me at all.

I charge to much.

I am not saying anything about blacks. I am saying if kids, black or otherwise, don't know who to swim it is the fault of LAZY parents who do not teach them how to swim or do not have them taught.

How the fuck you gonna teach someone how to swim if you don't have access to a body of water?

Took my family snow skiing last year. my wife didn't know how to ski. Does that mean Mexican parents are lazy, or maybe does it mean they didn't have access to anywhere to ski?

How the fuck you gonna teach someone how to swim if you don't have access to a body of water?

Took my family snow skiing last year. my wife didn't know how to ski. Does that mean Mexican parents are lazy, or maybe does it mean they didn't have access to anywhere to ski?

Can she swim?

Not knowing how to ski isnt going to get you killed if your dumb enough to play in the snow. Playing in water and not knowing how to swim is dangerous.

Finding snow sometimes means several hundreds of miles to access it. Skiing equipment is expensive to own or even rent. I am very sure that places to swim are closer then that and only cost as much to get in and have a swim suit.

Can she swim?

Not knowing how to ski isnt going to get you killed if your dumb enough to play in the snow. Playing in water and not knowing how to swim is dangerous.

Finding snow sometimes means several hundreds of miles to access it. Skiing equipment is expensive to own or even rent. I am very sure that places to swim are closer then that and only cost as much to get in and have a swim suit.

Maybe in your little dream world Syrenn, but in the real word there are plenty of places where places to swim are few and far between. And certainly snow skiing can kill you if you don't know what you're doing.

Can she swim?

Maybe in your little dream world Syrenn, but in the real word there are plenty of places where places to swim are few and far between. And certainly snow skiing can kill you if you don't know what you're doing.

I said "play in the snow" as in walking out onto it kind of playing. I said nothing about skiing.

Can she swim?

I said "play in the snow" as in walking out onto it kind of playing. I said nothing about skiing.

Well then, a person is not in danger of drowning if they play in the water either. Barring an accident of course, which could just as easily happen on the snow.

I charge to much.

I don't know about now, but when I was growing up it was a matter of affordability. Literally no one had a "pool" or lived in communities where there was a public pool. Riding the current in the river on an innertube was as close as we got! In High School, most of us belonged to the YMCA where we could take lessons, and if we couldn't swim weren't allowed in the deep end of the pool (it was roped off, and a lifeguard always on duty). The "Y" had a great snackbar too, and being close to the school, it was the hangout for lunch and after school schmoozing. :cool:

Unless you live in the middle of a a desert there are bodies of water all over the country.

Forum List

Back