Why don't americans just import prescription drugs online?

grbb

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2016
Basically

1. Drug prices in US are high
  2. A Free market could fix it. Countries beyond the US governments' reach can simply produce cheaper drugs
  3. Pharmacies lobby against it. Under the pretext that drugs must pass health approval/FDA whatever, people cannot import the drug.
However, something is missing.

With Silk Road, people can import heroin almost with impunity.

If people can import heroin, cocaine, ganja, even though it's illegal, how much more can people safely import insulin for example?

Here, someone travel all the way to Canada to buy tons of insulin. But why travel to Canada? You just need the drug to move to US not you going back and forth?

American ‘caravan’ crossed Canadian border to buy affordable diabetes drugs
Say I have a diabetes. Say I import insulin from India for personal use. Will I go to jail?

Is punishment heavy on that?

Does the US have laws jailing people for importing medically necessary drugs for personal uses? I mean normal drugs, like insulin. Not narc like XTC.

Even if the drugs are patented, do people go jail for importing small amounts of generic drugs, say insulin, for personal uses?

If not. Then why not just import it? Even if it's illegal, why not just import it?

The US government cannot enforce laws against insulin import easily.

Note: The way Silk Road works is that selling in Silk Road is very dangerous for the seller. One fingerprint, he's done. However, buying is relatively safe.

For legal drugs, like insulin, I do not think the seller needs to fear getting caught. I don't think an insulin pharmacy should fear getting raided. They're selling insulin, not narcotics.

If importing insulin for personal uses can lead to jail time, that would be an answer. (However, that would be very bizarre. What? People sent to jail for importing something totally save? Insulin, unlike ganja, doesn't have that bullshit story that it's not safe. Everyone knows insulin is safe.)

Note: A good answer would be things like, they will go to jail if they import prescription drugs from another country. That would explain why they don't. (As far as I know that's not the case.) Another good answer would be, people don't know it. In fact, I want to know if it's even illegal in the first place to import many drugs for personal uses.

This is a sumary of the question after some comments and answers told me that there is no penalty at all for buyers for personal uses.

There is a solution for high drug price in US. Just import online

The penalty is nonexistant for personal uses. You're only in trouble if you're selling it. But the sellers are outside US and outside US jurisdiction.

Why the market doesn't take care of this is beyond me? Why Americans still complain about high drug prices?

So why not? Why don't I see online pharmacies where people just buy cheaper stuff online? The pharmacy can smuggle the drugs in US. I am not talking about narc here. Normal drugs. Normal drugs with the exact same content with the one prescribed by American pharmacy but at cheaper price.

Because the FDA didn't say-so. Reason number 457 why Cory Booker sucks.

Basically

2. A Free market could fix it. Countries beyond the US governments' reach can simply produce cheaper drugs
  3. Pharmacies lobby against it. Under the pretext that drugs must pass health approval/FDA whatever, people cannot import the drug.

If people can import heroin, cocaine, ganja, even though it's illegal, how much more can people safely import insulin for example?

Here, someone travel all the way to Canada to buy tons of insulin. But why travel to Canada? You just need the drug to move to US not you going back and forth?

Say I have a diabetes. Say I import insulin from India for personal use. Will I go to jail?

Does the US have laws jailing people for importing medically necessary drugs for personal uses? I mean normal drugs, like insulin. Not narc like XTC.

Even if the drugs are patented, do people go jail for importing small amounts of generic drugs, say insulin, for personal uses?

If not. Then why not just import it? Even if it's illegal, why not just import it?

Note: The way Silk Road works is that selling in Silk Road is very dangerous for the seller. One fingerprint, he's done. However, buying is relatively safe.

For legal drugs, like insulin, I do not think the seller needs to fear getting caught. I don't think an insulin pharmacy should fear getting raided. They're selling insulin, not narcotics.

If importing insulin for personal uses can lead to jail time, that would be an answer. (However, that would be very bizarre. What? People sent to jail for importing something totally save? Insulin, unlike ganja, doesn't have that bullshit story that it's not safe. Everyone knows insulin is safe.)

Note: A good answer would be things like, they will go to jail if they import prescription drugs from another country. That would explain why they don't. (As far as I know that's not the case.) Another good answer would be, people don't know it. In fact, I want to know if it's even illegal in the first place to import many drugs for personal uses.

This is a sumary of the question after some comments and answers told me that there is no penalty at all for buyers for personal uses.

The penalty is nonexistant for personal uses. You're only in trouble if you're selling it. But the sellers are outside US and outside US jurisdiction.

Why the market doesn't take care of this is beyond me? Why Americans still complain about high drug prices?

So why not? Why don't I see online pharmacies where people just buy cheaper stuff online? The pharmacy can smuggle the drugs in US. I am not talking about narc here. Normal drugs. Normal drugs with the exact same content with the one prescribed by American pharmacy but at cheaper price.

Drug prices in US are high

New drug development is expensive. Really expensive.

A Free market could fix it.

Foreign price controls are not a free market.

Countries beyond the US governments' reach can simply produce cheaper drugs

Stealing Intellectual Property instead of paying for it is usually cheaper.

If you want to import possibly counterfeit insulin, you should probably be allowed.
Safely is the catch. And the theft.

Basically

If you want to import possibly counterfeit insulin, you should probably be allowed.

No.

The drug isn't expensive because of development whatever.

The drug is expensive even though patents have expired, because your FDA, well bribed by pharmacies want to keep price high so they make more profit.

The drugs from other countries work just as well as the approved drugs. They're disapproved under pretext of health to protect margin.

I think you can buy prescription drugs online from reputable sources. I can't post link here. Ask around in internet marketing forums or whatever.

Basically

No.

The drug is expensive even though patents have expired, because your FDA, well bribed by pharmacies want to keep price high so they make more profit.

The drugs from other countries work just as well as the approved drugs. They're disapproved under pretext of health to protect margin.

I think you can buy prescription drugs online from reputable sources. I can't post link here. Ask around in internet marketing forums or whatever.

Really? New drugs can be developed cheaply? Tell me more!!!

The drugs from other countries work just as well as the approved drugs.

Ummmm...those drugs from other countries are mostly US drugs.

There are multiple prices out there already for drugs in America.

I don't think its necessary to go to this extreme.

If you have good insurance, and you get a $100 script and if the copay is $15, the insurance company doesn't write a check for $85. The prices are negotiated with the drug stores, and they might just pay $45, or $15 ,or nothing at all,depending on the drug and the deal being made.

Its just like medical procedures.

I had a thallium stress test a few years ago.The bill was for a list price of $4500, but the hospital accepted the $452 offered by the insurance company as payment in full.

Basically

No.

Spoken like an Internet "genius" who thinks reading a couple of blogs can replace real education and experience on a subject.

My son-in-law’s mother works for a mega US pharmaceutical and it takes years and several hundred million to develop and bring a new medication to market.

Important that you keep an American issued prescription with you to document that a ny drugs you bring home are for personal use, not resale. For many Americans Canada is only a short drive. Especially since pharmacies are springing up in lots of tiny Canadian communities close to the border.

My son-in-law’s mother works for a mega US pharmaceutical and it takes years and several hundred million to develop and bring a new medication to market.

And there is no guarantee of success either, with any new medication.

It might not do what it pretends to do.

Or someone else might be working on a similar drug which is easier to take or they come out with it quicker. Muse suppositories were developed as a cure for the nation's ED pandemic in the 1990's, and then Pfizer came out with its little blue pill.

Forum List

Back