Why doesn't the DoD just reorganize the Marines...

Nothing but typical interservice rivalry bullshit.. I have worked with Marines and Air Force in Balad,Iraq. I respect all of them and their service.

As part of the Army? They do pretty much the same things though the Army has the much more elite units and more highly trained infantry. The Army, as demonstrated by its successful execution of D-Day during WWII, is also capable of making daring amphibious assaults, so why not just disolve the Marines into the Army?

Because the Marines are an expeditionary force. That's the simple reason that (besides the long standing combined history of the USN/USMC) the Corps is a part or the Navy Department. But also because only a naval platform can transport large numbers of men to distant shores in short notice with all their specialized equipment. Marines are soldiers of the sea, and are trained in that capacity as well as other quick deployment actions (like choppers and other vertical take off aircraft). That quick expeditionary deployment capacity is why Marines are stationed in "Camps" and Soldiers are stationed in "Forts". Not to disparage the army but the U.S. Army is a holding force, and though they are capable of amphibious landings, they are normally considered to be a land force in taking enemy territory/terrain.

Countries and Empires have, since Rome, had need for a seperate "Marine" or expeditionary force. This is not likely to change. It would deprive the U.S. Military of the efficiency of a specialty and not in reality induce any "savings" economically, by combining the Corps into the Army. The Marine Corps (with a few brief exceptions) has always depended on voluntary enlistments, and almost always exceeds its enlistment quotas because the adventurous young want to be a part of such an elite force.

Last edited:
If anything, we should expand the Marine Corps and reduce the Army. They have very different missions. I'd keep a 4 Division RDF as a standing Army and just transition the bulk of the Combat and Combat Support to the Guard.

The Marines are just relics that were left over from when the British Empire ruled North America.

This antique organization serves No real purpose except to remind Americans that they have a history.

The Marines are just relics that were left over from when the British Empire ruled North America.

This antique organization serves No real purpose except to remind Americans that they have a history.

Spoken with the purest of convictions. Sounds like you tried to join and they would not take you.

Spoken with the purest of convictions. Sounds like you tried to join and they would not take you.

I was almost a Marine

It was April 1, 1970 and I had was being drafted into the Army for Vietnam.

That day at the induction office there was about 50 of us waiting to be sworn in and shipped to basic.

Me and one othe guy had shoulder length hair in the group.

(hey it was the way to score chicks on those days!!)

The Sargent in charge called me and the other fellow up front and looked at us with pure contempt.

He then picked up the phone and called the Marine sargent and told him to come over.

That he had two people for him.

(Back then the Marines did draft a small percentage of men).

I was getting freaked out!! Heck, I didn't even want to be in the Army. Let alone the Marines!!

Plus, I had heard that guys drafted into the Marines caught Hell !!!

When the Marine came over. He checked his sheet on the clip board, and told the Army NCO that he had filled his quota for the week.

I was one happy person!!!

So see Pegwinn, I was almost a Jarhead :eusa_angel:

Too bad for you. Had you been fortunate enough to become a Marine Recruit, then actually graduate and become a Marine, this conversation would not be occurring right now. And, your entire outlook would be different.

Forum List

Back