Why doesn't Michigan gov. want cops and firefighters to have the right to work?

You're new avatar has arrived. Display it with pride.

View attachment 23046

Well? Why? The right to work law doesn't not apply to them, does it? So why shouldn't they have the right to work? Don't right to work laws protect the right to work?

Does the stupid hurt or do you eventually get numb to it?
Do right to work laws protect the right to work?

Should cops and firefighters have the right to work?

It would be like the military having the right to strike OohPoop.

We're not talking about whether or not cops and firefighters should have the right to strike, that's not what the OP is about. Pay attention! Didn't your teacher ever tell you to read the directions ?

The inquiry at hand relates to the union busting legislation known as "right to work". This law allows employees at a union shop to opt out of paying union dues or agency fees. Michigan just became the 24th state to pass one. Its version of the law exempts police and firefighters. So the question is - why shouldn't policed and firefighters have the right to work?

Think on it for a while. Then answer.

I agree with OP. This is simply a political exemption.

But the broader move is of course in the right direction.

But if RTW laws are designed to benefit the worker, why would the police and firefighters not want them?

Who claims current union members want rtw laws?

Did you not see the union members protest and assault yesterday?

They don't. But the nanny state Republicans in the legislature think they know what's best for the unions. These are called "right to work laws" - they are marketed as being beneficial to the worker. Why shouldn't cops and firefighters have the benefit of getting to freeload on the unions?

But if RTW laws are designed to benefit the worker, why would the police and firefighters not want them?

They don't. But the nanny state Republicans in the legislature think they know what's best for the unions. These are called "right to work laws" - they are marketed as being beneficial to the worker. Why shouldn't cops and firefighters have the benefit of getting to freeload on the unions?

Then why did you put out the strawman argument, dumbass?

Up your game if you want dialogue, or else, just be punished.

It isn't. I honestly want to know why a group of people who think RTW is what's best for the worker decided to leave the cops and fire fighters out of the benefits they've bestowed on everyone else. I do not understand the reasoning.

We understand a knuckle dragger like you lives off a union.

It isn't. I honestly want to know why a group of people who think RTW is what's best for the worker decided to leave the cops and fire fighters out of the benefits they've bestowed on everyone else. I do not understand the reasoning.

It isn't. I honestly want to know why a group of people who think RTW is what's best for
the worker decided to leave the cops and fire fighters out of the benefits they've bestowed on everyone else. I do not understand the reasoning.

It's called Ex post facto law
A contract or relationship that existed, before the enactment of the law.
The Cops and Firefighters have a contract that can't be effected or changed because of the new law.

I'll provide the textbook, YOU have to read it.

Your answer is in here. Michigan House, Senate pass right-to-work legislation | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Last edited:

It isn't. I honestly want to know why a group of people who think RTW is what's best for
the worker decided to leave the cops and fire fighters out of the benefits they've bestowed on everyone else. I do not understand the reasoning.

The Cops and Firefighters have a contract that can't be effected or changed because of the new law.

Ex-post facto only applies to criminal matters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_v._Bull

Clearly they can change existing contracts - because they ARE changing the contracts and relationships that existed before enactment of the law when they are with NON-police and firefighter unions. Are you even paying attention? That's the POINT of the law. It VOIDS certain provisions of union shop agreements without the consent of both parties to the contract.

So sorry, TRY AGAIN

Last edited:

Ex-post facto only applies to criminal matters.

Calder v. Bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearly they can change existing contracts - because they ARE changing the contracts and relationships that existed before enactment of the law when they are with NON-police and firefighter unions. Are you even paying attention? That's the POINT of the law. It VOIDS certain provisions of union shop agreements without the consent of both parties to the contract.

So sorry, TRY AGAIN

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dleg/deleg_opla_SBills_1466-7_RighttoWork_331538_7.pdf

Read the bottom where it say;
The bills provisions would not apply to

I agree with OP. This is simply a political exemption.

But the broader move is of course in the right direction.

Ok, if not so, then why do only 10% or so of Americans belong to unions? I don't know anybody beefing because they can't get into a union.

Forum List

Back