Why doesn't Britain play baseball, basketball or American football?

LOL! Everyone is going to try and sell 'their' sport as the toughest!

If you ask me, who gives a shit about being toughest. What matters is which one is the most exciting. In my book, that would be the NFL, but I am sure that there are people that enjoy other sports more than they do American Football. Good for them.

This is a silly thread. Who cares?

Immie

Another thing to note is that those who have participated in this or that sport at a high level will naturally have a much more comprehensive understanding of just what goes into reaching that level.

The rest of the world doesn't "get" American football.

No accounting for tastes.

We give soccer a better chance to succeed in America than the rest of the world gives American football.

If you ask me, who gives a shit about being toughest. What matters is which one is the most exciting. In my book, that would be the NFL, but I am sure that there are people that enjoy other sports more than they do American Football. Good for them.

Immie

Competitive college football is more exciting than the NFL .... but, the NFL tends to have a much higher proportion of competitive games than college football, where the big successful programs regularly play patty cake teams and beat them by dozens of points.

I also like CF because there are too many damn games in the NFL. I just don't have the time to sit and watch 16 + 3/4 = 19/20 games if my team goes all the way. The season in CF is at most 14 for a team (except for the "Hawaii rule" I supposed, which can make 15). I hear that some folks in the NFL want to make the season 18 games, that's just absurd. Its football, its not basketball or baseball, the games are more like full wars than individual battles, a single game takes a lot out of a team.

Last edited:
it comes down to time and money, like everything else. the schools in britain can barely afford to run soccer games with decent equipment. they are not going to fork out the small fortune to run american football games. you've got to remember population density also. only 61 million in the uk. Only 5.2 mil in the whole of scotland. Not alot!

Doesnt explain why Britain thumbs their noses at baseball and basketball.

Immie

Competitive college football is more exciting than the NFL .... but, the NFL tends to have a much higher proportion of competitive games than college football, where the big successful programs regularly play patty cake teams and beat them by dozens of points.

I also like CF because there are too many damn games in the NFL. I just don't have the time to sit and watch 16 + 3/4 = 19/20 games if my team goes all the way. The season in CF is at most 14 for a team (except for the "Hawaii rule" I supposed, which can make 15). I hear that some folks in the NFL want to make the season 18 games, that's just absurd. Its football, its not basketball or baseball, the games are more like full wars than individual battles, a single game takes a lot out of a team.

I don't enjoy college ball as much as I used to. As you said there are so many blow outs and also, I find that it is so much more difficult to support a team because only the really popular teams, (FSU, UF, USC, UCLA, ND, Neb, OU) get regular TV time so following a particular team can be difficult unless you can actually go to their games.

That being said, as far as I am concerned, college football is still much more exciting than just about any other professional sport on the planet.

IMHO

Immie

The rest of the world doesn't "get" American football.

No accounting for tastes.

We give soccer a better chance to succeed in America than the rest of the world gives American football.

There's more American Football around the world than you might think.

it comes down to time and money, like everything else. the schools in britain can barely afford to run soccer games with decent equipment. they are not going to fork out the small fortune to run american football games. you've got to remember population density also. only 61 million in the uk. Only 5.2 mil in the whole of scotland. Not alot!

Doesnt explain why Britain thumbs their noses at baseball and basketball.

They dont and both sports a widely played in Britian under the different and original names of Rounders and Netball, the rules are pretty much the same but these sports are generally only played by girls in the U.K.

Forum List

Back