Why does your rep power go down?

Noomi is right.

If you want to know the true rep "value' of a poster, you divide their reps into the amount of posts they have made, not the length of time they have been here. You will find often that the ones with the most provocative avatars have a low amount of rep value.

I abdicated the reps system with the highest amount of reps to post ratio, on board....76.1. I just got tired of the games and they were serving me no purpose, other than to help others build their rep value, which I very much enjoyed doing. But I don't like to be at the top of anything, so if one feels that way, one just goes by the old adage, "know when to hold `em and know when to fold `em." I folded and have never been happier.

In case one cannot use a calculator to divide their reps into their post amount, then move the decimal to the left a notch or two, one can go here and use the 3-percent calculator....second field.

Math.com Homework Help Hot Subject: Percents

Enter first, your amount of reps, and then your posts amount. Presto. Your true rep value. :D

My dear AquaAthena, that is not exactly an accurate method.
For example, I joined the board over 4 years ago. After spending some time here (probably over 15,000 posts on my part), I left for about a year. At the point that I left the board I think there were only 3 or 4 people with rep in excess of 400 and none with rep up to 500. People like Annie and Jillian that had over 30,000 posts had less than 500 rep. A year later, I come back and there are people about to crack 4000 rep.
So, 2 years ago I could make a post that got rep from 5 people and the total rep given might only be 700, not even enough to increase my rep power by one. Today I can get a single pos rep that increases my rep by 5 or 6.
Your reason for opting out of rep is sound, but your math is incorrect.

Yes, alan 1, most of us know your story. But math doesn't lie and the link I put forth is correct.

happy New Year*** :D

It's not just a story, your math is skewed. In the year that I have been back, my rep has increased over 2000 points as opposed to the less than 200 I had when I left. Simply because today I can get reps that increase mine by 3, 4, 5 or even 6 points when before, at most, I could get 0.4 increase. Simple division doesn't tell the entire story.

I'm guessing Wolfsister is trying to say that if one truly didn't care about rep, they wouldn't make an effort of any kind to have it removed.

This is also correct. If you don't care, you wouldn't bother to have it removed.
That's some pretty twisted thinking right there. Explains a lot about libtards.

I think your reason for opting out is you still want to personally insult people on a regular basis but you can't handle it if you get a negative reaction because of it.

Cowardly thinking from a right wing freak.

Go ahead and neg me for this, oh wait you can't-and you care way more than I do.

LOL!!

Yep, some opt out for perfectly good reasons and I can respect that but many do because they like to insult others or they want to be able to do so without the consequences of a negative reaction which they care about despite saying otherwise.

I've been the recipient of this so I know what I'm talking about.

Is it just my imagination or do those who have opted out of the rep system care way more about it than the rest of us do?

I am interested in your reasoning, Wolfsister. Can you`splain, please.

Happy New Year. :D

Well, It seems many of those who have opted out, spend a lot of time on the board talking about the rep system and analyzing it to death.

But those of us who are in it, don't really care.

It seems you have a good reason for opting out but there are others who have opted out so they can take swipes at those they don't like or those who say terrible things and can't handle the criticism for being assholes. So it goes both ways. Opting out can be abused too.

Happy New Year to you too :)

Thank you for your response, Wolfsister.

I won't get into the psychological analysis of letting reps go, for just as everyone has their own reason for liking them, so do those, that don't.

I was never one to get into the reps wars. I never believed in negging but did it one time, to someone who negged me "just because" and when I realized I was going "down" to their level and violating my own belief, in "refuse to lower yourself to the level of your antagonist" it was the final straw in an ongoing decision about opting out.

I look at reps the way I look at money. If you don't care about it, throw it away. ( though I would give money to charity ) All gone. Clean slate. Freedom. There is nothing to be gained or lost, anymore.

I like that.

That's why I think AA is sincere, she didn't neg people from what I've heard, nor does she do things that would cause others to neg her to the point of wanting to get out.

I can't say the same for many others here.

My dear AquaAthena, that is not exactly an accurate method.
For example, I joined the board over 4 years ago. After spending some time here (probably over 15,000 posts on my part), I left for about a year. At the point that I left the board I think there were only 3 or 4 people with rep in excess of 400 and none with rep up to 500. People like Annie and Jillian that had over 30,000 posts had less than 500 rep. A year later, I come back and there are people about to crack 4000 rep.
So, 2 years ago I could make a post that got rep from 5 people and the total rep given might only be 700, not even enough to increase my rep power by one. Today I can get a single pos rep that increases my rep by 5 or 6.
Your reason for opting out of rep is sound, but your math is incorrect.

Yes, alan 1, most of us know your story. But math doesn't lie and the link I put forth is correct.

happy New Year*** :D

It's not just a story, your math is skewed. In the year that I have been back, my rep has increased over 2000 points as opposed to the less than 200 I had when I left. Simply because today I can get reps that increase mine by 3, 4, 5 or even 6 points when before, at most, I could get 0.4 increase. Simple division doesn't tell the entire story.

It also depends how much power the person who reps you has, it is not a linear equation.

I am interested in your reasoning, Wolfsister. Can you`splain, please.

Happy New Year. :D

Well, It seems many of those who have opted out, spend a lot of time on the board talking about the rep system and analyzing it to death.

But those of us who are in it, don't really care.

It seems you have a good reason for opting out but there are others who have opted out so they can take swipes at those they don't like or those who say terrible things and can't handle the criticism for being assholes. So it goes both ways. Opting out can be abused too.

Happy New Year to you too :)

Thank you for your response, Wolfsister.

I won't get into the psychological analysis of letting reps go, for just as everyone has their own reason for liking them, so do those, that don't.

I was never one to get into the reps wars. I never believed in negging but did it one time, to someone who negged me "just because" and when I realized I was going "down" to their level and violating my own belief, in "refuse to lower yourself to the level of your antagonist" it was the final straw in an ongoing decision about opting out.

I look at reps the way I look at money. If you don't care about it, throw it away. ( though I would give money to charity ) All gone. Clean slate. Freedom. There is nothing to be gained or lost, anymore.

I like that.

Well, good response. I think you have good valid reasons for wanting out and I can completely respect that. I've been the recipient of those who want out just to go after others without consequences. Otherwise, I'd probably stay out of this fight. LOL!!

I folded and have never been happier.

Exactly.

I'm glad the board admin decided to let people opt out.

I am too, for when I joined, I tried to opt out, as I could see it was set up as a competitive game and I am not into games. I tried not to participate back then, but posters continued to rep me and I started feeling guilty by not repping them back to show my appreciation and that is how one becomes entrenched into the system.

So, to the owners or Administrators that recently allowed us this new "freedom" of staying in, or opting out, I offer them a salute. It shows me that they really have the best interest of their members, at heart. :eusa_clap: And I value them even more, because of it all.

A good board.

After reading the explanations, I think it is a very nice and fun popularity game, but not completely, because it correlates with how long you have been here and how fast you stop talking to people who give you negative reps without comments.

Personally, I think it corresponds to how fast you can force the people who neg to ignore you. If you accomplish that they can no longer see your posts, so they cannot neg them.

After reading the explanations, I think it is a very nice and fun popularity game, but not completely, because it correlates with how long you have been here and how fast you stop talking to people who give you negative reps without comments.

A welcome rep for you.. but

Some members give negs even for a respectful conservative point of view, you'll just have to get used to it..

When I started it took me over 6 weeks just to get to zero...:lol:

( a coven of witches, as I recall)

..and I'm a nice, respectful sorta Guy.. well, mostly anyway...

Respectful guy? You?

Personally, I think it corresponds to how fast you can force the people who neg to ignore you. If you accomplish that they can no longer see your posts, so they cannot neg them.

that is unless you get people lie wanker poofer who says he has you on ignore, even blogs about you being on ignore... and then continues to quote your every post.

If I was in charge of USMB (a frightening prospect, I know), your future would be decided by the amount of rep you accrue i.e. - your account could quite literally be negged into extinction. Though abuse of this power or conspiring with others to remove an adversary through "neg repping" would result in a permanent ban.

That'd make things a bit more interesting, no?

A welcome rep for you.. but

Some members give negs even for a respectful conservative point of view, you'll just have to get used to it..

When I started it took me over 6 weeks just to get to zero...:lol:

( a coven of witches, as I recall)

..and I'm a nice, respectful sorta Guy.. well, mostly anyway...

Respectful guy? You?

He asked himself, that was the answer.

some people choose to opt out of the system altogether, in part for the reasons you've mentioned.

AquaAthena explains it well.

Others, like the hemorrhoid here, opt out of the rep system because they support terrorists and don't want people to know how unpopular that is.

that is unless you get people lie wanker poofer who says he has you on ignore, even blogs about you being on ignore... and then continues to quote your every post.

On the other hand, he opted out of the rep system despite having a blog about the rep system.

Besides, he never quoted me, I must be annoyingly annoying.

I don't like when peeps opt out of the rep system because then I can't rep them for posts that I agree with. Bummer. Yeah, yeah I give out thanks and all to those who opt out. <sigh> It's just not the same.

Post often, and be nice to people, and you will gain more positive rep. :)

i don't think that is entirely true. some of the most contentious posters have high reps and some of the more thoughtful posters have low reps because they end up on the wrong side of a popular opinion.

c'mon noomi...lol...look at the avatars out there and i am sure you can expand upon your suggestions on how to get positive rep.

Noomi is right.

If you want to know the true rep "value' of a poster, you divide their reps into the amount of posts they have made, not the length of time they have been here. You will find often that the ones with the most provocative avatars have a low amount of rep value.

I abdicated the reps system with the highest amount of reps to post ratio, on board....76.1. I just got tired of the games and they were serving me no purpose, other than to help others build their rep value, which I very much enjoyed doing. But I don't like to be at the top of anything, so if one feels that way, one just goes by the old adage, "know when to hold `em and know when to fold `em." I folded and have never been happier.

In case one cannot use a calculator to divide their reps into their post amount, then move the decimal to the left a notch or two, one can go here and use the 3-percent calculator....second field.

Math.com Homework Help Hot Subject: Percents

Enter first, your amount of reps, and then your posts amount. Presto. Your true rep value. :D

that isn't the value of a poster... especially on this now rightwing board. for some it's only the value that one's half naked avatar gets. :thup:

Forum List

Back