Why does your rep power go down?

Post often, and be nice to people, and you will gain more positive rep. :)

i don't think that is entirely true. some of the most contentious posters have high reps and some of the more thoughtful posters have low reps because they end up on the wrong side of a popular opinion.

c'mon noomi...lol...look at the avatars out there and i am sure you can expand upon your suggestions on how to get positive rep.

Noomi is right.

If you want to know the true rep "value' of a poster, you divide their reps into the amount of posts they have made, not the length of time they have been here. You will find often that the ones with the most provocative avatars have a low amount of rep value.

I abdicated the reps system with the highest amount of reps to post ratio, on board....76.1. I just got tired of the games and they were serving me no purpose, other than to help others build their rep value, which I very much enjoyed doing. But I don't like to be at the top of anything, so if one feels that way, one just goes by the old adage, "know when to hold `em and know when to fold `em." I folded and have never been happier.

In case one cannot use a calculator to divide their reps into their post amount, then move the decimal to the left a notch or two, one can go here and use the 3-percent calculator....second field.

Math.com Homework Help Hot Subject: Percents

Enter first, your amount of reps, and then your posts amount. Presto. Your true rep value. :D

My dear AquaAthena, that is not exactly an accurate method.
For example, I joined the board over 4 years ago. After spending some time here (2 years and near 10,000 posts on my part), I left for about a year. At the point that I left the board I think there were only 3 or 4 people with rep in excess of 400 and none with rep up to 500. People like Annie and Jillian that had over 30,000 posts had less than 500 rep. A year later, I come back and there are people about to crack 4000 rep.
So, 2 years ago I could make a post that got rep from 5 people and the total rep given might only be 700, not even enough to increase my rep power by one. Today I can get a single pos rep that increases my rep by 5 or 6.
Your reason for opting out of rep is sound, but your math is incorrect.

i don't think that is entirely true. some of the most contentious posters have high reps and some of the more thoughtful posters have low reps because they end up on the wrong side of a popular opinion.

c'mon noomi...lol...look at the avatars out there and i am sure you can expand upon your suggestions on how to get positive rep.

Noomi is right.

If you want to know the true rep "value' of a poster, you divide their reps into the amount of posts they have made, not the length of time they have been here. You will find often that the ones with the most provocative avatars have a low amount of rep value.

I abdicated the reps system with the highest amount of reps to post ratio, on board....76.1. I just got tired of the games and they were serving me no purpose, other than to help others build their rep value, which I very much enjoyed doing. But I don't like to be at the top of anything, so if one feels that way, one just goes by the old adage, "know when to hold `em and know when to fold `em." I folded and have never been happier.

In case one cannot use a calculator to divide their reps into their post amount, then move the decimal to the left a notch or two, one can go here and use the 3-percent calculator....second field.

Enter first, your amount of reps, and then your posts amount. Presto. Your true rep value. :D

For example, I joined the board over 4 years ago. After spending some time here (probably over 15,000 posts on my part), I left for about a year. At the point that I left the board I think there were only 3 or 4 people with rep in excess of 400 and none with rep up to 500. People like Annie and Jillian that had over 30,000 posts had less than 500 rep. A year later, I come back and there are people about to crack 4000 rep.
So, 2 years ago I could make a post that got rep from 5 people and the total rep given might only be 700, not even enough to increase my rep power by one. Today I can get a single pos rep that increases my rep by 5 or 6.

Yes, alan 1, most of us know your story. But math doesn't lie and the link I put forth is correct.

happy New Year*** :D

Noomi is right.

For example, I joined the board over 4 years ago. After spending some time here (2 years and near 10,000 posts on my part), I left for about a year. At the point that I left the board I think there were only 3 or 4 people with rep in excess of 400 and none with rep up to 500. People like Annie and Jillian that had over 30,000 posts had less than 500 rep. A year later, I come back and there are people about to crack 4000 rep.
Also, the board was around for a quite a few years before rep was added to it, and in the early days of rep it accumulated at twice the rate it does now. It was cut in half a few years back.

I'm guessing Wolfsister is trying to say that if one truly didn't care about rep, they wouldn't make an effort of any kind to have it removed.

Well, thanks Bob, but I'll wait for her response, rather than one "guessing" for her. Just another way to be correct as possible.

Happy New Year*** :D

Post often, and be nice to people, and you will gain more positive rep. :)

Noomi is right.

How right is it though? If someone is going to come here and post for rep what is their true worth to themselves and to this forum. Post with integrity and do not treat the rep system as a measuring rod for self esteem. USMB is not a therapeutic community.

I'm curious as to when polerider/OO7 stopped caring about rep.

He used to neg me here and there, so I'd guess he still cared at that point.

Well nobscrotum, you'll just have to continue to be curious, and I hope you lose sleep over it.

In the meantime, stop whining ya pathetic little pussy.

Well slobscrotum, you'll just have to continue to be curious, and I hope you lose sleep over it.

I won't.

You're the one with the issues about it. That's why you opted-out. :lol:

Is it just my imagination or do those who have opted out of the rep system care way more about it than the rest of us do?

I am interested in your reasoning, Wolfsister. Can you`splain, please.

Happy New Year. :D

Well, It seems many of those who have opted out, spend a lot of time on the board talking about the rep system and analyzing it to death.

But those of us who are in it, don't really care.

It seems you have a good reason for opting out but there are others who have opted out so they can take swipes at those they don't like or those who say terrible things and can't handle the criticism for being assholes. So it goes both ways. Opting out can be abused too.

Happy New Year to you too :)

Well slobscrotum, you'll just have to continue to be curious, and I hope you lose sleep over it.

I won't.

No, you will, because you're sooooooo CURIOUS... :lol:

Moron.

There's more and more people all the time opting out, including the lady you've been quoting here now. She and all the rest must also have "issues" with rep as well. Sometimes you're so fucking dumb all I have to do is repeat what you say to illustrate it. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you STFU.

I won't.

No, you will, because you're sooooooo CURIOUS... :lol:

Moron.

There's more and more people all the time opting out, including the lady you've been quoting here now. She and all the rest must also have "issues" with rep as well. Sometimes you're so fucking dumb all I have to do is repeat what you say to illustrate it. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you STFU.

This may come as a surprise to a mentally dead person such as yourself, but my curiosity doesn't require much effort.

I honestly think AA is sincere in her reasoning...I honestly think you and many others who claim the same thing are full of shit.

If your history is any indicator, I'm quite right.

Forum List

Back