Why does USA not respect CONSUMERS?

The USA appears to have the SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE mentality toward consumers. Make a buck, or a penny, off suckers! Many prices have the 9.99 sticker on labels and advertised as such. To many Europeans that is insulting.

Also, in USA, when buying anything beyond sticker or ad or menu price, you also need to calculate the tip and tax for final payment. Cumbersome or unnecessary in civilized society, I think. In Europe, we have no need for tip and the tax is already in the price advertised. Very simple and respectful toward consumers.
Is USA more for rich business people who are greedy and care more about making more money than respecting the consumer? If so, then it is sad.

Europeans are insulted over a penny's difference in the price?

Suuure and you represent Europe..., I don't think so.

It is really easy to calculate the tax, which in MY state is 9%, thus your whine is the real insult.

I think you are a concern troll wanting to beat up on a non issue for a reason of being part of the America hating crowd.

I don't have an issue in how Denmark does their taxes or the way prices are done, it is none of my business.

The USA appears to have the SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE mentality toward consumers. Make a buck, or a penny, off suckers! Many prices have the 9.99 sticker on labels and advertised as such. To many Europeans that is insulting.

Also, in USA, when buying anything beyond sticker or ad or menu price, you also need to calculate the tip and tax for final payment. Cumbersome or unnecessary in civilized society, I think. In Europe, we have no need for tip and the tax is already in the price advertised. Very simple and respectful toward consumers.
Is USA more for rich business people who are greedy and care more about making more money than respecting the consumer? If so, then it is sad.

Tipping is only for certain kinds of services, and in most cases, entirely voluntary. The idea is to provide an incentive to the worker providing the service, to provide good service that the customer will deem worthy of a good tip.

As for sales taxes, only a corrupt government would want it hidden in the price of goods, where it is not obvious to the consumer how much he is being taxed. Rather than be insulted about the honest way in which we Americans enjoy our economy, you should be insulted by the deceptive way that you own government rips you off.

Apparently, you are speaking from ignorance.
Tipping in USA may be voluntary, but now you are compelled to pay 15-20 or more percent tip instead of 10-15 percent many years ago. What is up with that? USA employer too cheap to respect workers for a decent wage? In Europe, the employer pays the worker at restaurants, and the places I have been to in Europe, besides Denmark, the service is excellent! If not, the employer would lose customers and the employee would lose their job, like in other jobs. NO NEED for customers to pay tip above that stupid x.99 price, unless they want to!

There is no deception by governments here in most European countries ... and certainly LESS deception than in USA! The VAT or other tax is clearly marked on receipt here in Denmark. VERY CONVENIENT, because we pay exact amount advertised, and we do not have constant x.99 irritating SUBTOTAL prices to deal with.
I live in Europe, and as annoying as the tax mark-up is in the US, at least taxes aren't buried there as they are here. The price is what the outlet sells the product for - fair enough.
Buried, in Czech Republic? How so? Your country has very cheap prices, especially for tourists!
Obviously because people usually do not register what they're paying in taxes. Prices are relatively low but taxes are high.
Taxes are very high in Denmark too, but we get what we pay for. Denmark is a happy country overall, among the top 5 in the world, according to a UN report. The citizens/consumers are respected by the government ... “for the people” ... more so than in the USA, unless you are wealthy.

...yes, same with cars--$29,999.....it is stupid.....why not just make it $30,000?

Because it's a fact that people are more inclined to buy a product that sells for $29,999 as opposed to $30,000.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk
As STUPID as that sounds, it must be true, or why would businesses keep doing that kind of stupid-looking advertising??
Maybe the sucker consumers need to wise up to get basic respect? OR, businesses could make a little less revenue & use more even pricing for consumer convenience? Not in USA!
Unfortunately for most consumers who are NOT suckers, they must put up with that xx.99 irritation that suckers & businesses together create.

Taxes are very high in Denmark too, but we get what we pay for. Denmark is a happy country overall, among the top 5 in the world, according to a UN report. The citizens/consumers are respected by the government ... “for the people” ... more so than in the USA, unless you are wealthy.
This great Dane argues very well. Respectfully, Supposn

Denmark, until we cease permitting others to think for us, regardless of credentials pretending to overly link universities to individuals or (with reverse snobbery), disrespect those who choose to study and/or learn and/or otherwise practice to improve) we undermine our own best interests.

There are doctors believing their time's too valuable to be concerned about “politics”, “that's what WE have the AMA for; “they'll tell us what's best for the nation”.

There are those that have less concern for the taxes they directly and indirectly pay but they're obsessed with concern for their tax refund amount; which is the refunding their own over-payment of taxes. Large segments of our population believe there are “us” and labor unions; they support laws drafted to inhibit or prevent employees to effectively negotiate as organizations, thus they're actually promoting lesser wage purchasing powers for all employees. There are those unconcerned about the purchasing power of the minimum wage rate, without regard that due to “wage differentiation”, all USA labor compensation, everyone's wages are dependent upon the purchasing power of the federal minimum wage rate.

We have too much regard for our differences and insufficient consideration for our mutual interests and concerns.

Respectfully, Supposn
Regarding your statement “We have too much regard for our differences and insufficient consideration for our mutual interests and concerns.” ...

I agree that focusing on differences among people in a NEGATIVE way is not overall beneficial to society, and that if people realize “we are all in this together” and be concerned about the welfare of ALL citizens, then there may be less crime and more overall respect among citizens with varying subcultures & personalities.
It appears to me that as time goes by, there are more wealthy AND more poor people in USA. Is that good for society as a whole?
I don’t think so, but I am not rich. There are some exceptions (Buffet, Gates, Turner, etc), but it seems most wealthy people don’t care about the unfortunate citizens, and prefer to buy for THEMSELVES more big houses, expensive cars, boats, etc.

Forum List

Back