why does this sound like a bad idea?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Treasury to Auction $51 Billion in Notes

WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department said Wednesday that it will auction $51 billion in notes next week and for now doesn't foresee any major changes in its borrowing needs to finance the national debt, which stands at $7.3 trillion.

The department's decisions come as it considered the government's financing needs, something done on a quarterly basis. Treasury needs to borrow to finance the daily operation of the government, including meeting interest payments on the national debt.

Associated Press

DKSuddeth said:

WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department said Wednesday that it will auction $51 billion in notes next week and for now doesn't foresee any major changes in its borrowing needs to finance the national debt, which stands at $7.3 trillion.

The department's decisions come as it considered the government's financing needs, something done on a quarterly basis. Treasury needs to borrow to finance the daily operation of the government, including meeting interest payments on the national debt.

Associated Press

Well some of the 'money guys' should jump in, but I tend to agree. As we were discussing yesterday, inflation is a risk right now. Interest rates will be jumping, not falling and who will pick up that tab? Now IF I had money, I might buy, after hearing from the money guys! :cool:

I don't know. To me, it seems self defeating to finance debts. Isn't that how it works on a personal level?

DKSuddeth said:
I don't know. To me, it seems self defeating to finance debts. Isn't that how it works on a personal level?
dunno either, but have to imagine that when you are talking 7.3 Trillion, it's a whole different ballgame. I cannot even fathom that amount - it has to all be a paper thing.

DKSuddeth said:

Government always uses bonds. Remember, they produce NOTHING! Until, which I think we're unlikely to see, they stop spending more than they take in, they will finance.

DKSuddeth said:

Associated Press

It seems that Milton Friedman, a Nobel Laureate in economics says nothing to be feared from large budget deficits except the fear created by the Left.

There's little to fear from budget deficits, Milton Friedman said in an interview on CNBC's Power Lunch.--- March 12, 2003

Milton Friedman, a Nobel laureate in economics, is a senior research fellow at the Hoover Institution and co-author, with his wife Rose, of "Two Lucky People: Memoirs." He sat down with CNBC's Michelle Caruso-Cabrera for a wide-ranging interview. Below is an edited version of their discussion of President Bush's economic policies and the performance of Fed chief Alan Greenspan.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Articles/TVReports/P42976.asp

Forum List

Back