Why does the US have so many child brides?

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Oh my, cons consistently talk about other countries having child brides.

Why does US have so many child brides?

Video at link:

Angel was 13 when her mother forced her to marry and start a family. "I felt like a slave," she says of her childhood.

While countries like Zimbabwe, Malawi and El Salvador have recently banned child marriage, it remains legal in the US - and half of states have no set minimum age below which you cannot get married.

For the BBC's America First? series the BBC's Aleem Maqbool is exploring health and social issues where the US, the richest country in the world, does not perform well in international rankings.

Video by Franz Strasser; produced by Ashley Semler

FT_16.10.14_childMarriageUS.png

Just out of curiosity, I checked Idaho.

Children under the age of 16 can get a license to marry with written parental consent and a court order. A hearing will be held on the petition to marry under the age of 16 and the minors must be found physically and mentally developed to assume full marital and parental duties as proven by the testimony of a physician, or it must be in the “best interest of society” that the marriage be permitted.

The video is a lie.

Just out of curiosity, I checked Idaho.

Children under the age of 16 can get a license to marry with written parental consent and a court order. A hearing will be held on the petition to marry under the age of 16 and the minors must be found physically and mentally developed to assume full marital and parental duties as proven by the testimony of a physician, or it must be in the “best interest of society” that the marriage be permitted.

The video is a lie.
The video is coming from the radical LIB BBC.

Forum List

Back