Why Does the U.S. Use Fahrenheit Instead of Celsius?

The bread is amazing

On the other hand, I still bake my Bubbe's German sourdough rye recipe with home-milled flour, molasses, fennel, anise, and orange zest.

It's to die for ...

rye-loaf-e1483958824621.jpg

I love that too.

Infact I think I might go out and buy some. Soon.

Buy?! Blasphemy!

I'm not geared up for baking bread.

There is nothing better than a house smelling of baking bread.

I know. I used to make it in my previous life.

The yeast smell when it's rising.

^If you're an American and you've ever had a conversation with someone from another country about the weather, you've probably been a little confused when he or she says that the afternoon temperature is a nice 21 degrees. To you, that might sound like a chilly winter day, but to them, it's a pleasantly warm springtime temperature.

That's because virtually every other country in the rest of the world uses the Celsius temperature scale, part of the metric system, which denotes the temperature at which water freezes as 0 degrees, and the temperature at which it boils as 100 degrees. But the U.S. and a few other holdouts – the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, Belize and Palau – cling to the Fahrenheit scale, in which water freezes at 32 degrees and boils at 212 degrees. That means that the 21 degrees C temperature that we previously mentioned is the equivalent of a balmy 70 degrees F in the U.S.

The persistence of Fahrenheit is one of those puzzling American idiosyncrasies, the equivalent of how the U.S. uses the word soccer to describe what the rest of the planet calls football. So why is it that the U.S. uses a different temperature scale, and why doesn't it switch to be consistent with the rest of the world? There doesn't seem to be a logical answer, except perhaps inertia. Americans generally loathe the metric system – this 2015 poll found that just 21 percent of the public favored converting to metric measures, while 64 percent were opposed.
There was a push in the 70's to convert. We learned both when I was in school. But standard won the way probably since most folks were resistant to it.
We have a mix in this country.
I have metric and standard tools, working as a carpenter, houses are still designed in feet and inches. An 8 ft sheet works with a 12, 16,19.25 and 24 inch truss layout. Standard measurements are far easier for house layouts.

We pump gas by the gallon but buy soda in liters.
I feel it is an advantage to know both.

Even today, in most countries around the world ... pilots measure altitude in feet and distance in miles (albeit statute miles).

The Fahrenheit scale was devised by German scientist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit in 1724 and, in 1742, a Swedish astronomer named Andres Celsius came up with a less unwieldy system based on multiples of 10, which is the system used today in most of the world. PIXABAY

Why Does the U.S. Use Fahrenheit Instead of Celsius?
The great thing about Metric is converting different measurements.

1cc = 1ml = 1gram (Multiplied by weight of fluid, water being 1).. As I recall.

A 1 liter tank is simply a 10mm(?) cube. You need a computer to figure a gallon

My memory is fuzzy but once you get the equivalencies its easy.

^If you're an American and you've ever had a conversation with someone from another country about the weather, you've probably been a little confused when he or she says that the afternoon temperature is a nice 21 degrees. To you, that might sound like a chilly winter day, but to them, it's a pleasantly warm springtime temperature.

That's because virtually every other country in the rest of the world uses the Celsius temperature scale, part of the metric system, which denotes the temperature at which water freezes as 0 degrees, and the temperature at which it boils as 100 degrees. But the U.S. and a few other holdouts – the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, Belize and Palau – cling to the Fahrenheit scale, in which water freezes at 32 degrees and boils at 212 degrees. That means that the 21 degrees C temperature that we previously mentioned is the equivalent of a balmy 70 degrees F in the U.S.

The persistence of Fahrenheit is one of those puzzling American idiosyncrasies, the equivalent of how the U.S. uses the word soccer to describe what the rest of the planet calls football. So why is it that the U.S. uses a different temperature scale, and why doesn't it switch to be consistent with the rest of the world? There doesn't seem to be a logical answer, except perhaps inertia. Americans generally loathe the metric system – this 2015 poll found that just 21 percent of the public favored converting to metric measures, while 64 percent were opposed.

The Celsius scale is too large as each is equivalent to 1.8 degrees Farenheit.

Liters are too small, as are kilometers and kilograms. Think about filling up your car and it taking 80 liters. Distances work better than kilometers. Everyone would love to weigh 75 kilos but the range is too wide. .

Liquid measure are

OTOH, you do have metric. I've noticed in Target, for instance, the bedding is also listed in metres and centimetres.

And in French!

They are in French because that is where the product is probably also sold.

Would you ever answer someone that your height is 165mm?

I pronounce "Target" as "Tar-jay" because it sounds like a high-class French store.

Liters are too small, as are kilometers and kilograms. Think about filling up your car and it taking 80 liters. Distances work better than kilometers. Everyone would love to weigh 75 kilos but the range is too wide. .

Liquid measure are

OTOH, you do have metric. I've noticed in Target, for instance, the bedding is also listed in metres and centimetres.

And in French!

That must be why it's illegal to tear off the tags.

That's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Read the tag! It say that it is illegal to tear off the tags unless you are the consumer.

Liquid measure are

And in French!

I pronounce "Target" as "Tar-jay" because it sounds like a high-class French store.

I thought it might be something to do with French Canada.

I've heard about the Tar-Jay thing.

Liquid measure are

And in French!

Almost every product I buy has directions, assembly, etc. written in Spanish and/or French.

How about Jacques Say Pa-nay?

Liquid measure are

And in French!

Almost every product I buy has directions, assembly, etc. written in Spanish and/or French.

Spanish I get.

But French?

i would probably say resistance & laziness. i remember when i was in high scool during the 70's, there was a 'push' to teach it - but the math dept tried to get the science dept to teach it & the science dept basically told them to get bent. soooooooooooooooo............

it was dropped pretty quickly & here we are.

Liquid measure are

And in French!

Spanish I get.

But French?
Canada is close by.

And in French!

Spanish I get.

But French?
Canada is close by.

Many people in Canada don't speak a word of English. When Celine Dion first hit it big many years ago she was singing in English and did not understand a word. The Canadian military has a self-inflicted problem in that some of their troops do not even speak the same language.

Forum List

Back