Why Does The Right Not Want Confederate Statues Removed?

Only fools want to hide history from others....

Who wants to hide it? I don't. I want all these monuments of slavery and opposition to civil rights put into one huge museum where we can all visit and remember our painful growth as a nation.
Sort of like that Ark thing in Kentucky or someplace. Go there once and say "WTF were they thinking?" (-:

[

Denver has terrible public sculptures. The dancing alien things at the Performing Arts Complex, the big blue bear peeking into the Conference Center, the pillar of bllod bags on 16th Street near I-25, the demon bronco at DIA (that actually killed its creator). All terrible. I don't agree with leaving statues put in place to intimidate and oppress black people and honor those who fought for slavery. But I do agree that Denver has awful public sculptures.

Blucifer! I love that horse, scariest thing I've seen.

And don't forget those odd colored cow statues all over 16th street.

Erasing history is never a good idea you start with the statues because some are offended by them we have few if any stores selling Confederate flag merchandise because that offended some people. When someone goes into a museum and is offended by Confederate displays do we remove those? If someone gets upset reading about the Confederacy in a text book do we remove all references from those? If people want to sanitize the nations history to make people feel good that's up to them but it's not a good idea.

Who came up with this dopey 'erasing history' argument?

Dear NYcarbineer Since I have had the honor of working alongside state and national historic preservationists, all the experts have reinforced that moving landmarks even an inch from their original location destroys the integrity of its history.

Add to that the community and spiritual history and legacy that is lost, and the removal of landmarks (especially gravesites that are especially prone to desecration) becomes a form of GENOCIDE.

I've watched communities killed off systematically by removing or even "relocating" their landmarks.

The damage is as much political as it is spiritual, and economic in terms of breaking people's ties to the land and property so other interests can engage in hostile take over. Seen it done, and the devastation is irreversible, on so many levels, the damage is never healed.

The North ended slavery for all time, at the expense of a great many American lives.

The White House has protected civil rights many many times.

The Confederacy doesn't have a single redeeming quality. It existed solely to preserve slavery.

The North did not end slavery. Ironically, the Union Army used slaves to clean up the aftermath of war. It was almost a year after the war before U.S. Grant freed his slaves. The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free any Northern slaves. In 1863, in the middle of the war, the Union admitted a slave state, West Virginia. It is a MYTH that the North ended slavery... that was done by a Constitutional Amendment (Thirteenth Amendment). It HAD to be done by Constitutional Amendment because the United States Supreme Court had ruled slavery constitutional and the institution had been upheld by the US for 85 years before the CSA ever existed.

Slavery did not become "The Just Cause" of the war until 1863, when Lincoln realized public support for the bloody war was deteriorating. From the Northern perspective, according to numerous speeches and documents, the war was about preservation of the Union. Lincoln made no bones about this, in his famous letter to Horace Greeley (1862), he said, "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. "

It's just factually dishonest to read the above quote and maintain the war was about freeing slaves or ending slavery.

From the Southern perspective, while slavery was indeed an important aspect, the principle was Federalism. The CSA didn't make slavery legal or uphold the institution for 85 years. CSA courts didn't rule slaves were property. They owned slaves because it was legal to own slaves and slaves were needed to harvest cotton, tobacco and sugarcane. All of which benefitted the North as much as the South. Their overarching issue was the right of self-determination.

As for Civil Rights, the CSA was actually ahead of the US in affording civil rights, including the right to vote, to free blacks (as well as Native Americans). This was included in their Constitution.

Erasing history is never a good idea you start with the statues because some are offended by them we have few if any stores selling Confederate flag merchandise because that offended some people. When someone goes into a museum and is offended by Confederate displays do we remove those? If someone gets upset reading about the Confederacy in a text book do we remove all references from those? If people want to sanitize the nations history to make people feel good that's up to them but it's not a good idea.

Who came up with this dopey 'erasing history' argument?

Dear NYcarbineer Since I have had the honor of working alongside state and national historic preservationists, all the experts have reinforced that moving landmarks even an inch from their original location destroys the integrity of its history.

Add to that the community and spiritual history and legacy that is lost, and the removal of landmarks (especially gravesites that are especially prone to desecration) becomes a form of GENOCIDE.

I've watched communities killed off systematically by removing or even "relocating" their landmarks.

The damage is as much political as it is spiritual, and economic in terms of breaking people's ties to the land and property so other interests can engage in hostile take over. Seen it done, and the devastation is irreversible, on so many levels, the damage is never healed.
liberals don't care that americans died at those locations. it's their ideology that stands in their way.

[

Denver has terrible public sculptures. The dancing alien things at the Performing Arts Complex, the big blue bear peeking into the Conference Center, the pillar of bllod bags on 16th Street near I-25, the demon bronco at DIA (that actually killed its creator). All terrible. I don't agree with leaving statues put in place to intimidate and oppress black people and honor those who fought for slavery. But I do agree that Denver has awful public sculptures.

Blucifer! I love that horse, scariest thing I've seen.

And don't forget those odd colored cow statues all over 16th street.

Blucifer?! I hadn't heard it called that. Very appropriate and humorous.

Only fools want to hide history from others....

Who wants to hide it? I don't. I want all these monuments of slavery and opposition to civil rights put into one huge museum where we can all visit and remember our painful growth as a nation.
Sort of like that Ark thing in Kentucky or someplace. Go there once and say "WTF were they thinking?" (-:

Ha! More like the holocaust museum.

Forum List

Back