Why does the Bible have authority?

PaintMyHouse must be so proud to have you as one of his followers.

The Constitution does not prohibit individuals and businesses from discriminating.

Your ignorance is your problem.
Show us, Einstein.

Where does the Constitution prohibit businesses and individuals from discriminating?

14th amendment, everyone is equal under the law.

Discrimination is unequal treatment.

Discrimination was outlawed in the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Immigration Reform Act and the Genetic Information Discrimination Act. The SCOTUS ruling on same sex marriage will outlaw discrimination against gays.

Thanks for tacitly admitting to your appalling ignorance.
You till haven't showed us, Poindexter. Where in the Constitution are businesses and individuals prohibited from discriminating?

Ask an adult to explain to you how the Constitution grants the Legislature the ability to pass the anti-discrimination laws that I mentioned above.
Couldn't find it, eh. Yea, okay, you're a liberal.

The bible has authority because Christians recognize it as authoritative.
As a baptist, I recognize it's authority.
Unfortunately, I realize that if you put ten baptist in a room to discuss a passage of scriture, you will get at least twelve different interpretations of it's meaning.

Show us, Einstein.

Where does the Constitution prohibit businesses and individuals from discriminating?

Discrimination was outlawed in the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Immigration Reform Act and the Genetic Information Discrimination Act. The SCOTUS ruling on same sex marriage will outlaw discrimination against gays.

You till haven't showed us, Poindexter. Where in the Constitution are businesses and individuals prohibited from discriminating?

Ask an adult to explain to you how the Constitution grants the Legislature the ability to pass the anti-discrimination laws that I mentioned above.
Couldn't find it, eh. Yea, okay, you're a liberal.

Since all you have are deflections, lies and name calling you have disqualified yourself from any further meaningful participation in this thread.

Have a nice day.

The Bible, 2000 years after Jesus, can not seriously and responsibly be trusted. Even if Jesus was loved, protected and obeyed, which was never the case.

PaintMyHouse must be so proud to have you as one of his followers.

The Constitution does not prohibit individuals and businesses from discriminating.

Show us, Einstein.

Ask an adult to explain to you how the Constitution grants the Legislature the ability to pass the discrimination laws.

Or is this another one-track mind liberalism? The legislature can legislate this way but not that way.

Einstein.

Have a nice day.

Show us, Einstein.

Ask an adult to explain to you how the Constitution grants the Legislature the ability to pass the discrimination laws.

Or is this another one-track mind liberalism? The legislature can legislate this way but not that way.

Einstein.

Have a nice day.

Yet another zero substance response from the poster with zero credibility!

:rofl:

Show us, Einstein.

Einstein.

Have a nice day.

Einstein.

I would like to ask you a Simple question, maybe you've heard it before. The Bible is the primary source of Christian knowledge, some Christians take it literally, others don't, some pick and choose.
But what gives it its authority?
It seems to me that the authority of the Bible is given by itself, which makes no sense to me. It says it's the word of God, therefore it is? I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.
Does Bible have a weight in our life?

It's probably one of the biggest scandals in the history of Christianity, the lie that the Bible is a rule book and a source of authority. Not only does the Bible never give itself this role, but historically, sola scripture proves itself a product of authority, not an authority itself. Jesus said he would build a Church, not a book. Jesus invested his authority in a living church, full of fallible people, not in a book. It's by this authority that the Catholic Church determined what the Bible is, what books would be included or excluded from the official Christian canon in the councils of Rome and Hippo late in the 4th century.

Sola Scripture was a lie, formed by a mentally ill renegade from Christianity named Martin Luther. He is proof that errors in doctrine are not harmless, but create reverberating consequences that afflict humanity for generations to come. In Christianity, there is no higher authority than the Apostolic Synods of the Catholic and Orthodox Church.

Sounds like a desire to go back to the dark ages and deny all the right to read the scriptures. Only then can the pope dictate what the word of God is without question. Perhaps indulgences and burnings at the stake should also be instituted.

I would like to ask you a Simple question, maybe you've heard it before. The Bible is the primary source of Christian knowledge, some Christians take it literally, others don't, some pick and choose.
It seems to me that the authority of the Bible is given by itself, which makes no sense to me. It says it's the word of God, therefore it is? I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.

It's probably one of the biggest scandals in the history of Christianity, the lie that the Bible is a rule book and a source of authority. Not only does the Bible never give itself this role, but historically, sola scripture proves itself a product of authority, not an authority itself. Jesus said he would build a Church, not a book. Jesus invested his authority in a living church, full of fallible people, not in a book. It's by this authority that the Catholic Church determined what the Bible is, what books would be included or excluded from the official Christian canon in the councils of Rome and Hippo late in the 4th century.

Sola Scripture was a lie, formed by a mentally ill renegade from Christianity named Martin Luther. He is proof that errors in doctrine are not harmless, but create reverberating consequences that afflict humanity for generations to come. In Christianity, there is no higher authority than the Apostolic Synods of the Catholic and Orthodox Church.

Sounds like a desire to go back to the dark ages and deny all the right to read the scriptures. Only then can the pope dictate what the word of God is without question. Perhaps indulgences and burnings at the stake should also be instituted.
When was all right to read the Scriptures restricted?

From Thomas E. Johnson's "Life's Three Greatest Questions", he writes:

"While certain priests and those with the ability to read and study the scriptures may have entertained doubts about the conformity of the teachings and practices of the Roman Catholic Church with The Bible, it was not until the common person could read and verify for themselves the objections raised by the Reformers that widespread support grew and alternate Christian churches were established. Will Durant says, 'The spread of the New Testament among the people prepared them for Luther's challenging contrast between the Gospels and the Church,1 and "Printing was the Reformation; Gutenberg made Luther possible."2 At that time, it was the official position of both the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church that scriptures should only be read and taught by the clergy, lest the common man become confused. Indeed, the efforts of such men as William Tyndale to publish The Bible met with burning at the stake. In 1200 Pope Innocent III ordered a French version of The Bible to be burned.3 In 1229 the Council of Narbonne forbade the possession of any part of The Bible by laymen.4 In 1280 a bull of Pope Nicholas III said, 'We prohibit all laymen to discuss matters of the Catholic faith; if anyone does so he shall be excommunicated.'5 In 1534 King Henry induced Parliament to rule that only nobles and property owners might legally possess The Bible and only priests might preach on it or discuss it publicly.6 Today, the Roman Catholic Church encourages all of its members to read The Bible:

"The Church forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful...to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures"7

But the Eastern Orthodox Church still reserves Bible reading to the clergy.

Martin Luther was a Catholic priest and an Augustinian monk for 19 years. During that time he was a diligent student of The Bible (eventually preparing a German translation). Although it was the sale of indulgences and the accumulation of relics that provoked Luther to post his 95 "theses" on the Wittenburg , Germany church door in 1517 A.D., his "protest" came from his conviction that all these practices were inconsistent with The Bible."

1. The Story of Civilization Vol VI p 320
2. The Story of Civilization Vol VI p 368
3. Cambridge Medieval History Vol VII p 505 quoted in, Apostasy frm the Divine Church p 680
4. The Story of Civilization Vol IV p 776
5. The Story of Civilization Vol IV p 780
6. The Story of Civilization Vol VI p 571
7. Catechism of the Catholic Church pars 133, 2653

Last edited:

From Thomas E. Johnson's "Life's Three Greatest Questions", he writes:

"While certain priests and those with the ability to read and study the scriptures may have entertained doubts about the conformity of the teachings and practices of the Roman Catholic Church with The Bible, it was not until the common person could read and verify for themselves the objections raised by the Reformers that widespread support grew and alternate Christian churches were established. Will Durant says, 'The spread of the New Testament among the people prepared them for Luther's challenging contrast between the Gospels and the Church,1 and "Printing was the Reformation; Gutenberg made Luther possible."2 At that time, it was the official position of both the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church that scriptures should only be read and taught by the clergy, lest the common man become confused. Indeed, the efforts of such men as William Tyndale to publish The Bible met with burning at the stake. In 1200 Pope Innocent III ordered a French version of The Bible to be burned.3 In 1229 the Council of Narbonne forbade the possession of any part of The Bible by laymen.4 In 1280 a bull of Pope Nicholas III said, 'We prohibit all laymen to discuss matters of the Catholic faith; if anyone does so he shall be excommunicated.'5 In 1534 King Henry induced Parliament to rule that only nobles and property owners might legally possess The Bible and only priests might preach on it or discuss it publicly.6 Today, the Roman Catholic Church encourages all of its members to read The Bible:

"The Church forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful...to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures"7

But the Eastern Orthodox Church still reserves Bible reading to the clergy.

Martin Luther was a Catholic priest and an Augustinian monk for 19 years. During that time he was a diligent student of The Bible (eventually preparing a German translation). Although it was the sale of indulgences and the accumulation of relics that provoked Luther to post his 95 "theses" on the Wittenburg , Germany church door in 1517 A.D., his "protest" came from his conviction that all these practices were inconsistent with The Bible."

1. The Story of Civilization Vol VI p 320
2. The Story of Civilization Vol VI p 368
3. Cambridge Medieval History Vol VII p 505 quoted in, Apostasy frm the Divine Church p 680
4. The Story of Civilization Vol IV p 776
5. The Story of Civilization Vol IV p 780
6. The Story of Civilization Vol VI p 571
7. Catechism of the Catholic Church pars 133, 2653
You didn't answer the question.

Nothing and no one has authority. People give things and other people the authority over them willingly. Some lead, most follow.

"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Forum List

Back