Why Does It Cost 1 Billion Dollars To Run For Office?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
And that's for the position of President.

The other government local and statewide also cost a pretty penny and rising.

Who agrees with these exorbitant prices for these public offices?

What kind of representative you think will win when it costs so much to run and win for office?

You think it will ever make a difference who wins with things going on like this?

Your thoughts.

And yes, this is a non-partisan thread from MarcATL. Knock yourselves out.

I dont think anybody cares s0n!!! Not your $$........why worry?

Generally speaking though........money wins elections. Always bben that way.........always will be that way. Buckle up your chin strap.

Last edited:
Because they can.
It would probably raise the eyebrow of even Al Capone if he knew just how many hands were greased in the process of a national election.
It is no more or less corrupt than the entire system.

That's part of what OWS is against... get the money out of politics and make our representation work for EVERYONE... not just those who can afford to cut a god damned check. The system needs turned on it's head.

What kind of representative you think will win when it costs so much to run and win for office?

You think it will ever make a difference who wins with things going on like this?

Your thoughts.

When gov'ts are in charge of Trillions of dollars, 1 billion doesn't seem like so much does it?

I think the only way to change that is to get money out of gov't by shrinking it. It won't be pretty and gov't will resist being slaughtered, but it HAS to be chopped own to a manageable size where it doesn't have the power to take our rights from us.

"When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Your thoughts.

When gov'ts are in charge of Trillions of dollars, 1 billion doesn't seem like so much does it?

I think the only way to change that is to get money out of gov't by shrinking it. It won't be pretty and gov't will resist being slaughtered, but it HAS to be chopped own to a manageable size where it doesn't have the power to take our rights from us.

-Thomas Jefferson

Maybe the way to change it is to have publicly funded elections. Make it part of the taxation system. You can choose which party you want to fund.... even if it's the Communist Party or Tea Party. I guarantee you that even though it seems like a lot of money, it will save 10 fold in Pork and "special favors" that go on behind the scenes. Make all donations outside of the Public fund illegal. That way we all still have a choice and are able to keep the cost capped. Let the PEOPLE decide... not the wallet.

Your thoughts.

-Thomas Jefferson
You're getting warm

What's the FIRST order of business to get this under control IYO?

Your thoughts.

if anyone would ok spending a billion dollars for a 400 thousand dollar a year job then you should not wonder why we have the problems we have now with finances....i heard the President ask once...."how much money do you really need to live?"......well i will ask him......"how much money do you need to spend for a job that pays 400 thousand a year of the peoples money?".......if ANY Politician really cares about how much of the Tax Payers money is being spent wisely.....they then they should also care about how much they spend to get their jobs......

Your thoughts.

It's does not have to cost that Much, the Candidates choose to make it cost that much. They are the ones who choose how much money to spend on adds. Obama is proudly proclaiming he will spend 1 Billion dollars this time around. The most ever spent. To me it is very disturbing. I have long thought we need to shorten the Campaigns, and Limit how much they can spend on them. The WH should not be for sale, it should not go to the guy who spends the most money, it should go to the guy who is best for the Job.

Nice thread Marc.

I guess it goes something like this...

Obama was the underdog and even though he raised tons of cash, the most cooperate cash in history and blah blah blah, it was best to downplay it because Obama was the "little guy"

Now Obama needs to prove he is loved and being not much seems to be showing that he is, maybe Obama feels bragging he can raise 1 billion dollars when everyone already knows his message and he is more well known than any other candidate on the republican side many times over is the way to do it.

I'm not trying to make this partisan, I assume you talk about the 1 billion because Obama announced he would raise that much a while back. Odd because I thought when he was running in 2007 he talked about limits on how much people can receive… Whatever, I dono it’s all ugly to me.

Your thoughts.

They only get the money people are willing to give them. If Americans closed their pocket books to these politicians maybe they'd get the message.

It costs that much because when you suck ass as president you have no choice but to try to buy the office.

That's a nonpartisan answer by gramps, knock yourself out.

Forum List

Back